FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Geeky Stuff

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2015, 18:33   #41 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,125 Times in 2,386 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: 25 sites blocked in the UK

Unfortunately I doubt if anything is 100% where block IP's are concerned.

Sometimes we either have to not download or simply have to just take a chance and 'hope for the best' obviously not a particularly safe way of looking at things, but we either pay our money and buy the product or take the chance and steal it.

Some time ago I tried a couple of the free VPN services then tried SpeedTest.net, needless to say my correct IP was being displayed and not the one that I was shown on the VPN's software.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 20:10   #42 (permalink)

Thanked 12,569 Times in 4,634 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

That's called WebRTC IP Leak oldfogey, Linux does not suffer from that. Oh bu99er more ammo for ME, I will just nip off and get the tin hat at the ready. LOL.

My VPN does protect me by the way, but many don't and certainly not ZenMate.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali

Last edited by bickern; 10th March 2015 at 20:12..
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 20:35   #43 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanks Bik.

Whenever I use my TOR browser a couple of sites I log into sometimes ask for confirmation that I am a human because of something to do with the TOR browser, but at least it's helping to protect me so I don't mind being called a 'None Human'
Old 10th March 2015, 20:48   #44 (permalink)

bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Mac and Linux users are not impacted by the WebRTC security flaw. It only applies to Windows users running Firefox and Chrome. Luckily there are already fixes out for both web browsers. Here’s a quick guide to fixing the WebRTC vulnerability so you can avoid any future IP leaks while connected to VPN.

Firefox users have two choices to take care of the IP leak issue. The first is to install the NoScript addon. If you’d rather not install the addon you can also make a manual change in the web browser. To do so type “about:config” into the address bar and press enter. Next click on the “I’ll be careful, I promise” button. From there you can fix the problem by double clicking the “media.peerconnection.enabled” entry. That will set it to false. You are now protected from the WebRTC security flaw.

WebRTC IP Leak Fix in Chrome
Google chrome users have two choices as well. You can either install the new WebRTC Block extension or ScriptSafe. Either option will help you fix the WebRTC IP leak issue on Chrome.

Actually I have just Googled this and "Preventing a DNS Leak and WebRTC Leak when using Tor in Linux" https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.c...-tor-in-linux/ came up. I thought it was just Windows related.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali

Last edited by bickern; 10th March 2015 at 20:55..
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
MiddleEarth (11th March 2015)
Old 10th March 2015, 20:58   #45 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanks again.

I went for the second option of changing the 'media.peerconnection.enabled' to false.

Nothing to do with this particular problem, but for some reason or other I did install the No Script add-on once, but don't know if it helped at the time for whatever reason I installed it, but I must have removed it as it's not installed now, hence going for the second option this time.
Old 11th March 2015, 11:42   #46 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,814 Times in 874 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation
Cool Re: 25 sites blocked in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
Thanks Bik.

Whenever I use my TOR browser a couple of sites I log into sometimes ask for confirmation that I am a human because of something to do with the TOR browser, but at least it's helping to protect me so I don't mind being called a 'None Human'
From what I understand about TOR it depends upon what you want the TOR network to do for you.

The TOR FAQ on FileSharing states:
"File sharing (peer-to-peer/P2P) is widely unwanted in the Tor network, and exit nodes are configured to block file sharing traffic by default. Tor is not really designed for it, and file sharing through Tor slows down everyone's browsing. Also, Bittorrent over Tor is not anonymous!"

I found a 11 Doís And Doníts Of Tor Network which explains a lot about TOR.
Item No. 8 states "P2P is unwanted in Tor network because it is simply not built for peer-to-peer file sharing. Exit nodes of the network are set up to block file sharing traffic. You abuse Tor network if you download torrents and it slows down other usersí browsing. Moreover, using Tor with BitTorrent is not secure and is a threat to your online anonymity."

A wiki article about TOR and especially the Bad Apple Attack (not Mac apples)
"The results presented in the bad apple attack research paper are based on an attack in the wild launched against the Tor network by the authors of the study. The attack targeted six exit nodes, lasted for 23 days, and revealed a total of 10,000 IP addresses of active Tor users. This study is particularly significant because it is the first documented attack designed to target P2P file-sharing applications on Tor. BitTorrent may generate as much as 40% of all traffic on Tor. Furthermore, the bad apple attack is effective against insecure use of any application over Tor, not just BitTorrent."

TOR Stack Exchange asks and answers Is Tor a P2P network?
Answer No. 2 states in part: "No, Tor is not inherently a peer-to-peer network. Tor is network of virtual tunnels...
Old 11th March 2015, 14:44   #47 (permalink)
Just passing through

Ah but the thing is I am only using the TOR network to access and download the torrent which are tiny in size from sites that are being blocked by my ISP, once the torrent is downloaded my normal download software runs as normal.

The problem was, getting past the block to sites, not downloading through TOR (or any other VPN) because yes, it's bad news for other people, and actually I do try and respect other 'people' (no not necessarily the like of the movie moguls, they are not people, just rip off merchants)
Old 19th October 2018, 22:40   #48 (permalink)

How do you find out a website is blocked.

Ambiguously-worded and vague laws have caused a lot of trouble in many countries throughout history.

Legislation that uses vague and imprecise language is a powerful and dangerous tool in the wrong hands and can be twisted to punish innocent people.

One example of a law used beyond its original purpose was the United States’ Comstock Act of 1873, which prohibited the sending any “article of an immoral nature” through the mail. In effect, the law was used to prosecute anyone who distributed contraceptives, or information about family planning.

During World War I, while British and German soldiers were given condoms by their governments, American soldiers were advised to practice abstinence since the distribution of condoms was banned. Unsurprisingly, within two years, hundreds of thousands of American soldiers were diagnosed with sexually transmitted diseases, and it cost the United States over $50 million to treat them.

Today, there are many more examples of ambiguous laws that have been twisted to prosecute all kinds of innocuous actions.

This is partly due to modern technology developing at a faster rate than legislation. The result is that judges must apply outdated laws to completely new situations, as the slow-moving machine of legislation struggles to keep up with the changing times.

Unfortunately, this also means that some may err on the side of caution when they don’t completely understand the technology behind the circumstances.

Take Britain as an example. In trying to protect citizens online, regulators actually ended up banning websites with content related to equal rights, controversial political opinions, and even information about sexual health.

History has shown us the consequences of blocking vital information like this, yet we’re still making the same mistakes.

Check out this list of sites that were accidentally banned in Britain.

https://html.com/blog/websites-britain-blocked/

Muhammad Ali
IbrahimAbi (20th October 2018)
Old 19th October 2018, 22:47   #49 (permalink)

Top 10 Most Popular Torrent Sites of 2018
BY ERNESTO ON JANUARY 7, 2018 C: 109OPINION
What are the most popular torrent sites this year? As we continue a long-standing tradition, we see that The Pirate Bay remains firmly in the lead. Since a few torrent sites have left the scene recently, this year's top list also reveals some new names.

Torrent sites have come and gone over past year. Now, at the start of 2018, we take a look to see what the most-used sites are in the current landscape.

The Pirate Bay remains the undisputed number one. The site has weathered a few storms over the years, but it looks like it will be able to celebrate its 15th anniversary, which is coming up in a few months.

The list also includes various newcomers including Idope and Zooqle. While many people are happy to see new torrent sites emerge, this often means that others have called it quits.

Last year’s runner-up Extratorrent, for example, has shut down and left a gaping hole behind. And it wasn’t the only site that went away. TorrentProject also disappeared without a trace and the same was true for isohunt.to.

The unofficial Torrentz reincarnation Torrentz2.eu, the highest newcomer last year, is somewhat of an unusual entry. A few weeks ago all links to externally hosted torrents were removed, as was the list of indexed pages.

We decided to include the site nonetheless, given its history and because it’s still possible to find hashes through the site. As Torrentz2’s future is uncertain, we added an extra site (10.1) as compensation.

Finally, RuTracker also deserves a mention. The torrent site generates enough traffic to warrant a listing, but we traditionally limit the list to sites that are targeted primarily at an English or international audience.

Below is the full list of the ten most-visited torrent sites at the start of the new year. The list is based on various traffic reports and we display the Alexa rank for each. In addition, we include last year’s ranking.

For more lists, see our overview of some of the best VPN providers in 2018.

https://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most...f-2018-180107/

Muhammad Ali
Old 19th October 2018, 23:04   #50 (permalink)

BREAKING
Operator of YouTube Rippers Should Stand Trial in the US, Major Labels Say
ON: 19/10/2018COMMENTS: 3
Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2018?
BY ERNESTO ON MARCH 4, 2018 C: 184OPINION
In response to a growing threat of Internet surveillance and censorship, VPN services have surged in popularity in recent years. Encrypting one's traffic through a VPN connection helps to keep online communications private, but what more does your VPN provider do to keep you anonymous? We take a look at the logging policies and other privacy features of dozens of VPN providers.

Using a VPN service is a great way to protect your privacy online.

However, not all VPN services are as private as you might think. In fact, some are known to keep extensive logs that can easily identify specific users on their network.

This is the main reason why we publish a yearly VPN review, asking providers about their respective logging policies as well as other security and privacy aspects.

It’s worth keeping in mind though that not all VPN protocols and encryption algorithms are equally secure. PPTP is known to be vulnerable for example, and pre-shared keys are also a risk. We ask all VPN providers what their best recommendation is, but we encourage readers to fully research all options.

Also, VPN users should always do a proper IP-leak test to confirm that their setup is safe from IPv6, DNS, WebRTC and other leaks.

This year’s questions are as follows:

1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?

2. What is the name under which your company is incorporated, and under which jurisdiction does your company operate?

3. What tools are used to monitor and mitigate abuse of your service, including limits of concurrent connections if these are enforced?

4. Do you use any external email providers (e.g. Google Apps), analytics, or support tools ( e.g Live support, Zendesk) that hold information provided by users?

5. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or a non-US equivalent, how are these handled?

6. What steps are taken when a court orders your company to identify an active or past user of your service? How would your company respond to a court order that requires you to log activity going forward? Has any of this ever happened?

7. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed on all servers? If not, why?

8. Which payment systems/providers do you use? Do you take any measures to ensure that payment details can’t be linked to account usage or IP-assignments?

9. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users?

10. Do you provide tools such as “kill switches” if a connection drops and DNS leak protection?

11. Do you have physical control over your VPN servers and network or are they outsourced and hosted by a third party (if so, which ones)? Do you use your own DNS servers? (if not, which servers do you use?)

12. What countries are your servers physically located? Do you offer virtual locations?

—-

Below is the list of responses from the VPN services in their own words. Trust is crucial. These are not endorsements or security guarantees. Providers which didn’t answer our questions directly, blocked certain traffic, or are logging extensively were excluded. We specifically chose to leave room for detailed answers where needed. The order of the list holds no value.

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-service...nonymous-2018/

Muhammad Ali
IbrahimAbi (20th October 2018)

Tags
blocked , sites