FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Geeky Stuff

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2015, 19:24   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,268 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Windows 10 will be a free upgrade

Terry Myerson just announced on stage that, for the first year after Windows 10 launches, any device running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the latest version of Microsoft's OS — for free.

You can watch the full briefing here Windows 10: The Next Chapter

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users | The Verge

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
abba (21st January 2015), Akasya (21st January 2015), Akbuk Rob (21st January 2015), oldfogy (21st January 2015), pepperkat (21st January 2015), tosmur (21st January 2015)
Old 21st January 2015, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,368 Times in 2,557 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade

I had a update on my windows phone today and one of the things that got installed was that damn 'Cortana'

However, the screen opens to a permissions screen and the message of 'Ready to get started?' with the two options of Yes or no thanks,

Now wait for it.
When selecting the 'no thanks option', the next screen says 'I'm sorry, but I'll need your permission before I can help.' with the option of 'go back'

So to accept the option of 'no thanks' you first have to select the 'yes' button before being able to disregard the ready to get started option.
It does say somewhere that it can be turned off, but to be able to turn it off you first have to activate it............

Also there is no delete option as with other apps so it looks like another of those things that just sits there never to be used.

Windows, don't you just sometimes love it.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 21:09   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,578 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the free upgrade will be available at least a year after to let the bugs get sorted out.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 22:21   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,805 Times in 809 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future

Thanks for the links Bickern I enjoined watching some of that.

"Cortana your personal assistant", a reintroduction of the paper-clip man perhaps. "Hello I see you are trying to write a letter" . . . "Would you like me to help you screw it up?"

A further improvement, the new photo app. Now whenever you introduce a photo the app will alter it (they call it enhance) discard similar ones so you only the best, place it in your collection which is organised for you because Windows knows best how this should be done, add various metadata etc to the file and share it with the world, all automatically.

Juco, Throw away that PhotoShop Professional you won't need it any more, Windows will decide how the image needs to be and do it for you and delete anything it knows you don't want.

The new web browser will be able to assist with every aspect of your browsing and you can write in the browser window with your finger . . . WOW how useful is that!

Who remembers the TV series The Outer Limits? . . . "Do not adjust your TV, we control the horizontal, we control the vertical".
Akasya (22nd January 2015), juco (21st January 2015), oldfogy (21st January 2015), TNT123 (22nd January 2015)
Old 21st January 2015, 22:37   #5 (permalink)
Just passing through

With installing Office the first thing I always did was to select the custom install so that that xxxxxxxxxx (swear word) paper clip help was not (or I should say) should not be installed, but it still does, just does not leave it in a activated state.

Also on my phone the first thing I check for after any update is to make sure 'Auto-upload' remains disabled.

I wish there was the facility to remove all those damn windows wallpapers which it thinks I also want constantly changing on my phone screen instead of my memorable holiday pics.
But also has to be re-set after each update to stop them from automatically being shown.

But thanks for the links Bickern.
Old 21st January 2015, 22:44   #6 (permalink)

juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Juco, Throw away that PhotoShop Professional you won't need it any more, Windows will decide how the image needs to be and do it for you and delete anything it knows you don't want.
I should just throw away my PC and let Microsoft run my life Rob, they try and control just about everything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
oldfogy (21st January 2015)
Old 21st January 2015, 23:26   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,268 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk Rob View Post
a reintroduction of the paper-clip man perhaps. "Hello I see you are trying to write a letter" . . . .
Wow Rob, that certainly brings back (annoying) memories.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:07   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 1,805 Times in 809 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
I should just throw away my PC and let Microsoft run my life Rob, they try and control just about everything else.
Don't use Microsoft headphones, you will turn into a Cyberman (Dr Who reference).

I know you are a bit of a conspiracy merchant (like me), so what is the reasoning behind Micro$oft giving away their latest operating system to virtually all existing users?

I wonder if users of non licensed copies will be able to upgrade, wouldn't that send a message. Although it would also put most of the "computer fixers" out of business in Turkey.

Last edited by Akbuk Rob; 22nd January 2015 at 00:14..
Akbuk Rob is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:15   #9 (permalink)

I reckon it is financial somewhere along the way they are now losing out so get all up to speed with Win10 and then start hitting them financially with add ons. They will have planned ahead to make their money.
Nothing is ever free!
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
Yalides (22nd January 2015)
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:34   #10 (permalink)
Just passing through

I don't know if it was a slip of the tongue or for real 'which I can't see happening, but.

Just before the 15 minute mark on the 2+hour video it was stated that updates would be continuously available and supported 'for the lifetime of the device'
So does that mean it will never be superseded?

Now one other point, I wonder how 'Netbook' users running Windows7 Starter will get on, because TBH most/some netbooks are not really suitable for Windows 7, let alone anything else.

My Asus netbook has a none upgradeable 1GB RAM and yet windows itself state it requires at least 2GB RAM to run properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Akasya (22nd January 2015)

Tags
free , upgrade , windows