FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Geeky Stuff

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:13   #21 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,814 Times in 874 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation
Wink Re: Linux Mint XFCE – Install & Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk Rob View Post
That concludes this tutorial on Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” XFCE

In my opinion one of the best operating systems ever produced - Built for getting the job done.

It's powerful yet able to run on relatively low end computers whilst still providing an attractive, highly customisable and configurable user interface.

I would recommend this system for computers with 1gb RAM and above.

I thank Bickern for asking members to hold back with comments & questions whilst I have been putting this together and I now invite any questions or comments (I'm sure Middle Earth will go through everything with a fine tooth-comb).

Thank you to anyone who has taken the trouble to read all of this, I hope it hasn't been too boring.
I will take a longer look, regrettably I missed seeing this post until today. It is not boring to me. I am about to install XFCE on on older 32 bit laptop and will take a look again during and after I finish that installation.

Thank you
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:25   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 12,595 Times in 4,644 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Linux Mint XFCE – Install & Setup

If I get time in my hectic daily grind here in Koycegiz, I might wipe my other lappy and put XFCE on that one. Popcorn installs and works okay on XFCE.

This Desktop stays firmly on Windows though and is NOT going to change.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:59   #23 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

I downloaded the ISO for XFCE for my little 11" Vaio VGN_TX4XTP_B laptop which only has an Intel U1400 @ 1.2 GHz 32-bit processor and 1.5 Gb RAM with an 80 Gb HD.

From the time I started the slooooow download via the torrent until I had the new system installed took me less than an hour. I thought that was good timing.

I then found out which is the latest stable release of the kernel (currently version 3.19.0). https://www.kernel.org/

Downloaded it from here:
Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.19-vivid

I then installed the kernel, restarted, and that also went off without a hitch. The only time a Linux user needs to restart is with a kernel upgrade or install.

The Vaio runs quieter now. My Dell and Lenovo always run quiet but the Missus has a Vaio i5 and the fans on both it and little Vaio ran a lot. The new kernel does a better job of cooling and made a difference in fan noise.

I am playing wiith Xfce now, the differences between it and MATE are not big but they are different enough that I have to browse around a bit to do what I want for customising.

If you use Terminal and take the default setup, the firewall can be activated by typing: sudo ufw enable

When I have had to use SysReq, I usually just press the SysReq key and the letter b key and it reboots. I have never had a problem doing that in well over six years. The Linux journeling system takes care of any problems encountered by the forced boot. If you want to be double sure just run the restart in --- recovery mode. That boots minimal system files to a menu which then allows you to run fsck to ensure all your files have been recovered. I then select Resume Normal Boot. When I get to the login window, I restart once again for normal mode because recovery mode only restarts in low-res video.

Thanks for the great tutorial.
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:18   #24 (permalink)

Thanked 1,804 Times in 808 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickern View Post
If I get time in my hectic daily grind here in Koycegiz, I might wipe my other lappy and put XFCE on that one. Popcorn installs and works okay on XFCE.
For the benefit of other readers there is no need to wipe a drive prior to installing Linux. The installation process will do that for you if a complete overwrite is selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEarth View Post
I then found out which is the latest stable release of the kernel (currently version 3.19.0). https://www.kernel.org/

I then installed the kernel, . . . .
Again for the benefit of less experienced users, MiddleEarth is an advanced Linux user and knows what to do if he installs the wrong kernel. Manually installing kernels is a personal choice and not a requirement. If choosing to upgrade the kernel it is recommended for stability to stick within the current series for each particular release. For this release (Mint Reecca) it is the 3.13.0 series and the latest kernel in the series as of today's date (02/03/15) is 3.13.0-46

New users should not be put off by this technical talk of kernels, it is not something you need to get into unless there is a serious hardware problem (rare), the standard automatic updates should take care of you just fine.

Quote:
The Vaio runs quieter now. My Dell and Lenovo always run quiet but the Missus has a Vaio i5 and the fans on both it and little Vaio ran a lot. The new kernel does a better job of cooling and made a difference in fan noise.
XFCE is so gentle on the CPU, excessive fan activity is a thing of the past. One time on my main laptop I was making it work hard, the fan kicked in and a cloud of dust blew out the exhaust, it startled me, it was the first time the fan had ever turned since I had installed XFCE 6 months prior.

Quote:
If you use Terminal and take the default setup, the firewall can be activated by typing: sudo ufw enable
Quite so and no need to install the GUI (gufw) I wrote about earlier. My main reason for suggesting installing the GUI was to introduce new users to the Software Centre and that method of finding & installing apps. Did I mention the name of the firewall (ufw) stands for "UnComplicated Firewall" and that's exactly whet it is.

Now on the matter of the firewall I have discovered an issue with VPN's which I will investigate tonight. On my main laptop the firewall is on and to connect to any VPN I just do so in the standard manner using my Network Manager. The wife's was the same until about a week ago, the firewall started blocking it. I have just installed the same system from on a desktop, same problem. All 3 systems installed from the same DVD with the same firewall, no manually added rules, same VPN's, same GUI from the same source. Weird or what?

Of course the problem is easily solved by turning the firewall off, that's not a security risk for Linux because Linux runs with all ports closed until the user opens any, whereas Windows runs with all open "for the convenience of the user".

I will get to the bottom of this matter simply because it bugs me.
MiddleEarth (3rd March 2015)
Old 3rd March 2015, 08:51   #25 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Quote:
Of course the problem is easily solved by turning the firewall off, that's not a security risk for Linux because Linux runs with all ports closed until the user opens any, whereas Windows runs with all open "for the convenience of the user".
Windows users might want to take a look at ShieldsUP!
https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

When I last used Windows XP, ShieldsUP! helped me "harden" my computers including ports opened. There is a lot to read but for anyone interested in knowing if their computer is secure and if not, what are the problems, this is a great site.
The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
Akasya (3rd March 2015)
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:41   #26 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Quote:
Again for the benefit of less experienced users, MiddleEarth is an advanced Linux user and knows what to do if he installs the wrong kernel. Manually installing kernels is a personal choice and not a requirement. If choosing to upgrade the kernel it is recommended for stability to stick within the current series for each particular release. For this release (Mint Reecca) it is the 3.13.0 series and the latest kernel in the series as of today's date (02/03/15) is 3.13.0-46. New users should not be put off by this technical talk of kernels, it is not something you need to get into unless there is a serious hardware problem (rare), the standard automatic updates should take care of you just fine.

XFCE is so gentle on the CPU, excessive fan activity is a thing of the past.
It is true, that for most users, especially someone new to Linux, upgrading the kernel, is not necessary.

(The following is for the curious or bold and adventurous)
As with other updates, there are kernel improvements which may benefit a Linux user. I updated mine, even with XFCE, because of the "Significant ACPI & Power Management Changes In Linux 3.19" The Vaio laptops we have both ran their fans continuously and they were loud and annoying. I tried a variety of solutions, none worked as well as updating the kernel to 3.19 which eliminated the problem. I believe it is a Sony Vaio issue not a kernel issue.

This is a site for Kernel Newbies (and those not so new):
Linux Kernel Newbies - Linux Kernel Newbies

And this explains the new features of the 3.19 kernel:
Linux 3.19 - Linux Kernel Newbies

Go here first to find latest stable release:
https://www.kernel.org/

NEXT go to this site:
Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline

NEXT scroll down until you find the latest stable version:
Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.19-vivid

Download the following files to the same folder on your computer, you will usually use the ones noted as "generic":
Why? In general: Audio/video applications require lower latencies. If you're doing professional audio/video editing, or are building up a media center, then a low-latency kernel might be good for you.
SEE: Why to choose low latency kernel over generic or realtime ones?

Download this for either 32 and 64-bit:
linux-headers-3.19.0-031900_3.19.0-031900.201502091451_all.deb

Download these two for amd64 which are 64-bit:
linux-headers-3.19.0-031900-generic_3.19.0-031900.201502091451_amd64.deb
linux-image-3.19.0-031900-generic_3.19.0-031900.201502091451_amd64.deb

Download these two for i386 which 32-bit:
linux-headers-3.19.0-031900-generic_3.19.0-031900.201502091451_i386.deb
linux-image-3.19.0-031900-generic_3.19.0-031900.201502091451_i386.deb

Next open the folder containing the files. Right click and you will see "Open in Terminal" then click it.

Once the Terminal opens type or paste the following:
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.19.0*.deb linux-headers-3.19.0*.deb
(enter your login password)

(Note the files you downloaded all started with linux-image or linux-headers. The 3.19.0 is the kernel number and the * is a "wild card" which says "any text following).

You may get the following warnings and you may ignore them:
"Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8"
and
"Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel:..."

Finally type or paste the following into Terminal:
sudo update-grub
(enter your login password)

The following will show:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-031900-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-031900-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.1-031601-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.1-031601-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-37-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
No volume groups found
done

RESTART your computer.
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:47   #27 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Cool Re: Linux Mint XFCE – Install & Setup

If you use XFCE or Xubuntu you may want to walk through some of these:

24 things to do after installing Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
bickern (3rd March 2015)
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:48   #28 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Quote:
For the benefit of other readers there is no need to wipe a drive prior to installing Linux. The installation process will do that for you if a complete overwrite is selected.
If you are using a "live" CD/DVD/USB for installation, I found that sometimes the installer wants to install a new system, alongside the old one. A user who is not doing dual-boot may find it easier, and sometimes less confusing to format and partition the drive.

All new Mint installations have GParted installed on their "live" versions.

A nice tutorial: GParted - Introduction
(NOTE: GParted can format for fat32 (vfat), NTFS, swap and others. fat32 can be read by almost any computer including Macintosh.)

I make three partitions for all my installations:
root (/), home (/home), and swap (linux-swap).
I use ext4 for the root and home partitions and linux-swap for swap.

Swap is what I believe Windows users call virtual memory. This is used when too many large programs are opened at the same time and they run out of RAM available, therefore the RAM and the HD "swap" data.

I partition my drives so as to separate my home and system files and so I can easily back up my home partition and the associated (hidden) configuration files.

This is from Ubuntu but the process is the same for Mint:
How to create partitions in Ubuntu while installing?

This useful Mint Installation Guide was written for Mint 16 but it is the same for Mint 17 and Ubuntu.

Scroll down the page to Number 6.
"Installation type “Something else” wherein you need to create partitions manually."

Open GParted and do these in order (examples are for a 500 GB HD):
1)
Click each existing partition that you see and under Partition select Delete. Then select Edit and "Apply all operations" This warns you that it will delete all existing partitions. OK

2)
Select the gray space representing your entire hard drive.
Under Partition select "New" and repeat the process for each of the following:
a)
Allow 10 GB (10,000 MB) for the root (/) partition, more if you have a large HD. (10 is more than enough if you have a smaller HD)

Size: 10000 MB for 10 GB
Type...: Primary
Location...: Beginning...
Use as: Ext 4 j....
Mount point: /

b)
The size of the (/home) partition is the difference between your root amount and allowing 8 GB for swap.
(everything is in megabytes MB so 1,000,000 Mbytes = 1 TB).

Size: 482,000 MB for 500 GB (minus 18 GB for root and swap)
Type...: Primary
Use as: Ext 4 journeling....
Mount point: /home

c)
If you have 4 GB of RAM you can double the swap size to 8. If you have a 1 GB RAM computer give at least 4 GB for swap as you may use it more than a newer computer.

Size: 8,000 MB for 8 GB
Type...: primary
Use as: linux-swap

3)
Continue with the installation...
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:01   #29 (permalink)

okedokenow will become famous soon enough

thank you ever so much rob I think many will benefit from your tutorial if they are unsure. thanks mr earth for your link I have read it and am doing some of those installs.
okedokenow is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 19:12   #30 (permalink)

Thanked 1,804 Times in 808 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future

Quote:
Windows users might want to take a look at ShieldsUP!
https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

When I last used Windows XP, ShieldsUP! helped me "harden" my computers including ports opened. There is a lot to read but for anyone interested in knowing if their computer is secure and if not, what are the problems, this is a great site.
Sage advice M.E. I too made use of GRC many times when I was on Windows. Whilst though resources like this are great there is a potential danger of some users being lulled into a false sense of security because all results are green. There are many more issues that effect Windows.

What is that advert . . . Can only help as part of a calorie controlled diet.

Quote:
If you use XFCE or Xubuntu you may want to walk through some of these:

24 things to do after installing Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
As you know I am a keen Xubuntu fan, largely because of the XFCE environment. But having now tried the Mint version I am converted.

The two are so similar that once you change the desktop wallpaper and make a few other personalisations you would have to dig to tell which one you were using. Where I think the Mint version has the edge is the straight out of the box experience. It looks better, it has better apps as standard eg. full LibreOffice suit as opposed to the lesser Abiword & Gnumeric, VLC Media Player as standard, I soon set that the default player for both video and music, then got carried away and built my own own personalised skin for it. I appreciate the Xubuntu team deliberately keep the distro light but for me I always needed to make changes.

With Xubuntu every-time I did an install there was a ritual I would go through, remove this, add that, alter the other. Codecs are another thing which need to be manually installed on the Buntu's due to American licensing laws but not so with Mint. Now none of this was any bother to me, I have a little text document I just use as a ToDo with several copy/paste commands for the terminal it wouldn’t take long. But when I started going through my list after installing this one I discovered half the things were already done. The Mint team have taken a great distro from the Xubuntu team and made it better/easier for new users and less work for for me.

And they have seen the light and added an easy way to change that (for me) insipid green everywhere.
Akasya (3rd March 2015)

Tags
install , linux , mint , setup , xfce