Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 7th September 2015, 08:45   #1 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,814 Times in 874 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation
Cool Windows Phone Store scam

I was almost taken in by this. A friend asked me about an antivirus and antimalware program for their Windows phone. We use Avast Mobile Security on our Android phones and tablets.

I tried to find if it is available for Windows phone also. Evidently it is not? Or is it?

This notice is from the Avast Blog:

Windows Phone Store scam: malicious mobile apps aren’t unique to Google Play

"Although it’s possible to use third-party apps stores safely and securely, the fact that scams do still occur in a variety of app stores shouldn’t be ignored. On Sunday, a threat was discovered by a user who posted the issue on our forum. The scam, located within the Windows Phone Store, advertised three fraudulent versions of Avast Mobile Security. These fake apps not only include the Avast logo, but also feature actual screenshots from AMS in their image galleries. Our fast-acting team has since blocked the pages and has labeled them as malicious."

"If downloaded, these fake versions of AMS found on the Windows Phone Store pose a risk to users’ security. Here’s how they work:
  • New Avast security: This app includes three control buttons which show only advertisements. Even without actively clicking on the ads, the app redirects users to additional adware.
  • Avast Antivirus Analysis: Claiming to “protect your phone from malware and theft”, this malicious app runs in the background of victims’ devices once downloaded and collects their data and location.
  • Mobile Security & Antivirus – system 2: Simply put, this is a paid-for version of “New Avast security” that forcibly leads users to adware.
The fun doesn’t stop there!
After doing some additional research, our malware analysts discovered that TT_Game_For_All, the same user that published the fake AMS apps, isn’t solely impersonating Avast. Instead, this cybercriminal has published a large collection of close to fifty apps, the majority of which cost around the equivalent of 1.99 USD. Certain apps even claim to be from other well-known companies such as Qihoo 360, APUS, and Clean Master.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
Akasya (7th September 2015), bickern (7th September 2015), oldfogy (7th September 2015)
Old 7th September 2015, 10:48   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 12,369 Times in 4,545 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows Phone Store scam

Haha, I just looked in the Windows Store and searched for Avast, and there is an app called "Guide for AVAST antivirus" and it is being sold for £1.49, it even has screenshots. Who in their right mind would buy that? Some idiot might though. LOL.

Microsoft must be getting a bit desperate to fill the store up, even if it means filing it with rubbish. Double LOL.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
oldfogy (7th September 2015)
Old 8th September 2015, 10:53   #3 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Question Re: Windows Phone Store scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickern View Post
Haha, I just looked in the Windows Store and searched for Avast, and there is an app called "Guide for AVAST antivirus" and it is being sold for £1.49, it even has screenshots. Who in their right mind would buy that? Some idiot might though. LOL.

Microsoft must be getting a bit desperate to fill the store up, even if it means filing it with rubbish. Double LOL.
I presume that guide was for Windows PC version only or is there a version of Avast for Windows Mobile?
Old 8th September 2015, 11:02   #4 (permalink)

bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know for 2 reasons, why would I want a guide and more importantly why would I pay for one?

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
oldfogy (8th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015, 09:58   #5 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Cool Re: Windows Phone Store scam

Quote:
I wouldn't know for 2 reasons, why would I want a guide and more importantly why would I pay for one?
Perhaps I was not clear, I wrote:
1)
"is there a version of Avast for Windows Mobile?"
I was asking if Avast Mobile Security was available for Windows Phone.

2)
and I wrote:
"I presume that guide was for Windows PC version..."
You might not want one, but others might and some might even be willing to pay for one although the Avast online support is quite good.

But never mind, I did a more detailed search and finally came across my answer:
What are the system requirements for Avast Mobile Security?
"Avast Mobile Security is not supported (is not compatible, cannot be installed, and does not run) on Symbian, iOS, Microsoft Windows Phone/Mobile, Bada, WebOS, or any other operating system which is not specified as supported."

"You can install and run Avast Mobile Security on any device capable of running operating systems Android 2.3, 2.3.x, 3.x, 4.x or 5.x."

"Please note that new and upcoming versions of Avast Mobile Security are not supported on devices running Android 2.1 and Android 2.2.x. However if you are using an older version of Avast Mobile Security on those systems you can still receive updates to the virus database."

Disclaimer: I do not have stock nor any other financial interest in Avast Mobile Security nor do I get a spiff for getting anyone to try it.

When we first got our Google Nexus (Android) tablets and phones, we were concerned about **phishing, malware, virus infections, etc. Avast reviews consistently seemed to be the best for our system and it provides powerful protection and good support for free.

"Avast Mobile Security is a free antivirus for Android, which secures devices against unwanted phishing, malware, spyware, and malicious viruses such as trojans. With Avast Anti-Theft is is a tool against device's loss or theft."

They do have a Premium version which I would recommend if you travel a lot.

We use Avast Mobile Security on all our Android devices including two with the custom operating system CyanogenMod. It seems to do as advertised, it is not obtrusive, does not seem to cause problems nor does it gobble up battery life or memory. We also purchased the Premium version for The Missus who just purchased a new phone.

NOTE: **Phishing is "the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers, online."
Old 9th September 2015, 10:01   #6 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Now, all that being said, does anyone recommend a good free antivirus for Windows Phone, which secures devices against unwanted phishing, malware, spyware, and malicious viruses such as trojans as well as providing a tool against device's loss or theft.???
Old 9th September 2015, 10:33   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEarth View Post
Perhaps I was not clear, I wrote:
1)
"is there a version of Avast for Windows Mobile?"
I was asking if Avast Mobile Security was available for Windows Phone.

2)
and I wrote:
"I presume that guide was for Windows PC version..."
You might not want one, but others might and some might even be willing to pay for one although the Avast online support is quite good.

But never mind, I did a more detailed search and finally came across my answer:
ME, perhaps I was not clear, my post was light hearted. (the Haha was the clue)

Why would I know about what is on offer on Windows phone, if by showing me (post 3) as a quote you were asking me? As my post #2 was light hearted and was purely drawing attention to something that is readily available for free (irony here) then all I can say is loosen up.

You did the right thing and did a detailed search and got your answer, I applaud you for that.

By the way, I am not trying to be insulting or anything here, I am answering your post.

Muhammad Ali

Last edited by bickern; 9th September 2015 at 10:39..
Old 9th September 2015, 10:48   #8 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Wink Re: Windows Phone Store scam

Quote:
ME, perhaps I was not clear, my post was light hearted. (the Haha was the clue)

Why would I know about what is on offer on Windows phone, if by showing me (post 3) as a quote you were asking me? As my post #2 was light hearted and was purely drawing attention to something that is readily available for free (irony here) then all I can say is loosen up.

You did the right thing and did a detailed search and got your answer, I applaud you for that.
I understood your jest (Haha and Double LOL) in post #2,

As Perfesser 'Enery 'Iggens says "I think she's got it. I think she's got it."
I got it, I really really got it by jove. I do believe I was simply clarifying my original question to your post #4. Ahh, but then again I may have simply been violating the old maxim I saw on my philosophy professor's door long ago "Eschew Obfuscation".

Discombobulation can come easy to me especially when yours truly, a partially dyslexic old fart, mixes his metaphors with his similies, his adjectives with his adverbs, dangles his participles and consequently gets his tongue wrapped around his eyeteeth and cannot see what he is saying.

All in good fun old chap and all that rot...
Old 9th September 2015, 10:53   #9 (permalink)

Muhammad Ali

Tags
phone , scam , store , windows