Maisie

Mobile 'Phone
My next door neighbour has a mobile she wishes to sell. I do not know the make. The guy in the shop where she took it said he would only buy it if she deleted all messages, etc. She suggested that she took the SIM card out but he said that is not good enough, the memory must be cleared.

This mobile was given to her by an aunt (now deceased), it was new and was set up ready to go. She says she wrote the password down "somewhere" and now cannot find it.

She has asked me if I know how to clear the memory, but I haven't a clue! Why isn't it sufficient to remove the SIM card? Is there an inbuilt memory in the 'phone? If so, any ideas how she can clear this?

Maisie

evo80

Mobile 'Phone
On many mobiles a lot of info ends up on the mob memory .Look in settings for factory re set ,that will clear the phone.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Mobile 'Phone
On many mobiles a lot of info ends up on the mob memory .Look in settings for factory re set ,that will clear the phone.

Very good suggestion. Have your friend search for the model number and make of her phone and include "how to factory reset"

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Mobile 'Phone
Hi.
Honestly the best thing to do is go online (google) put the make of phone in the question "what to do before selling or giving away your +++++phone" for example https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=clear+iphone+in+order+to+sell

This way you will know you have done it correctly, its scary how much info is on a used phone even after its been "cleared".
regards martin

:thanks:

Good advice IF you have an iphone, however there are more Android phones out there and it could be a Windows phone as well.

"Generic"
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wipe+mobile+phone+in+order+to+sell

"Android"
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wipe+android+phone+in+order+to+sell

"Windows"
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wipe+windows+phone+in+order+to+sell

evo80

Mobile 'Phone
:thanks:

Good advice IF you have an iphone, however there are more Android phones out there and it could be a Windows phone as well.

"Generic"
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wipe+mobile+phone+in+order+to+sell

"Android"
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wipe+android+phone+in+order+to+sell

"Windows"
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wipe+windows+phone+in+order+to+sell

My windows mob has re set in the menu.Says if you select re set itcwill erase all personal content,apps games pics music and videos. And will restore to factory settings .

evo80

Mobile 'Phone
Didn't realise it was a crime to ask a question.

I'd be very surprised if he couldn't, these guys usually know all the secrets with mobiles unless of course it's an apple.

i did not mean no, in sarcastic way . Just meaning there was no answer to the question.
I was in car phone warehouse today in Crayford and I asked the guy about a upgrade to my Nokia windows mob. He showed me the upgrade model and I said to him ,I like windows mobiles but its a shame their is no call counter on them . He said I did not know that . I rest my case LOL.

tjd

Mobile 'Phone
i did not mean no, in sarcastic way . Just meaning there was no answer to the question.
I was in car phone warehouse today in Crayford and I asked the guy about a upgrade to my Nokia windows mob. He showed me the upgrade model and I said to him ,I like windows mobiles but its a shame their is no call counter on them . He said I did not know that . I rest my case LOL.

Is the counters app no longer available on Nokia?

Maisie

Mobile 'Phone
Answer to the question is indeed No. However, given the following, I don't think she would have let him do this.

Armed with the information from here, I went next door to try and sort this out. We managed to get a video on line which showed the buttons to press. Rather hard as 3 buttons have to be pressed at once! However, we got up the page illustrated, and near the bottom of the menu list was factory reset. At this point, my neighbour would not continue.

It seems that the 'phone number used in this mobile is the same as the number she uses for another mobile. She reckons that if she wipes the memory by factory resetting, she will wipe out the memory in the both mobiles. This seems crazy to me, but she was adamant. So I left her with it. She said she was going to go into the shop in the High Street, and ask.

When she got back she said that the guy in the shop (not where she is trying to sell it) said that yes, she would wipe the messages on both SIM cards and both mobiles.

Now, I do not profess to know much about these "new" mobiles, which is why I asked the original question. But this does not seem right to me. How can you remove data from a second mobile when removing data from first one?

Is this right?

Maisie

evo80

Mobile 'Phone
All I have ever done when getting new mobile is transfer everything onto the sim off the mobile and do a factory re set with whats left on the phone ,put my sim in the new mobile and that's that .if swapping providors with a new sim I do a Bluetooth transfer from old mob to new mobile with the new sim in it . Then do factory re set. Then flog the old mobile . Done that quite a few times of times with no prob .

evo80

Mobile 'Phone
one things for sure I never sell on a old PC .Best advice I was given was take the hard drive into the garden and smash it up .

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Mobile 'Phone
I was thinking more about the 'cloud based' services a la Apple and how it can replicate on other devices.

That may have been what the techno person meant. IF all contact information is stored on the SIM card then a user should be able to backup all drive data, take out the SIM card, restore to factory image and be good to go.

Google synchronises all account information across devices also. However Google contacts for example, accessed via a web browser, can be exported and imported into a new device. Also a user can shut off Google sync permanently or until a new device has been set-up. We did this with The Missus when she got a new Android phone. She updated all her contacts on her old phone, exported them, and imported them into the web based version of Google Contacts (via Gmail). Gmail/Contacts then noted and we were able to successfully merge any duplicates. This updated her Contacts. When she setup her new phone, she told her Android account to synchronise her Google account and all her Contacts showed up in the new phone.

Anytime you wipe any device, it is best to do a complete backup first of any data you do not wish to lose.

Good luck

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Mobile 'Phone
All I have ever done when getting new mobile is transfer everything onto the sim off the mobile and do a factory re set with whats left on the phone ,put my sim in the new mobile and that's that .if swapping providors with a new sim I do a Bluetooth transfer from old mob to new mobile with the new sim in it . Then do factory re set. Then flog the old mobile . Done that quite a few times of times with no prob .

What do you transfer via Bluetooth? What brand mobile and operating system?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom