FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Geeky Stuff

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2016, 07:24   #21 (permalink)

Thanked 5,432 Times in 1,912 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10 Free Ending-Security Info

How does a VPN work please?

Maisie
Old 10th May 2016, 08:31   #22 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,831 Times in 881 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation
Cool Re: Windows 10 Free Ending-Security Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie View Post
How does a VPN work please?
A VPN creates a "tunnel" through which your data is sent, such as email or a request for a web page. The data is also encrypted (masked in gibberish symbols). Imagine an opaque water hose. Water runs through it but you can only see the water at either end. Then imagine the water in the hose is very muddy, so much so it is very difficult to see if it is mud or water going through the hose.

If a TLF member has a better explanation, please advise.

Start with our own Akbuk Rob's page "Using the Internet in Turkey" wherein he has an explanation of a VPN and a link to how a VPN works.

Then read this article VPN for Security and let us know if it answers your questions.

Essentially a VPN is software you have to download and install. If you decide to use a VPN full time, you should buy a commercial package because the free ones are for occasional use and are not always available.

Once you install the software and register with your account, the VPN software does the rest.

Windows 10 Problem or Solution?
I have heard about with Windows 10 is that it forces updates. I am also told this can be turned off but then one runs the risk of not getting the security updates necessary to protect your computer.

Some users have said this takes hours and that they are often huge in size. For a person with a limited download account, this could exceed your alloted amount in some months. This is only what I am told, I presume it is true??

NOTE: if you are comfortable with Windows 8 AND install all the SECURITY updates they say you need, you should be good to use that until 2023.

Microsoft Windows Lifecycle

End of extended support:
Windows 7
January 14, 2020

Windows 8 / 8.1
January 10, 2023

Windows 10, released in July 2015
October 14, 2025
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
Akasya (10th May 2016), Maisie (10th May 2016)
Old 11th May 2016, 06:14   #23 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Windows 8.1 okay to 2023, six months under 7 years support left. So I will leave this on my laptop I think and not go for 10. But this does not sort out my main computer running with XP.

I really am not keen on 8.1 as it is so different to XP in many ways. Mainly the email part. But it is looking like I will have to put 8.1 in regardless. But, I wonder if someone could give me some guidance with this. I will have to buy this programme. My husband's computer also has XP, so it will have to be for 2 or more computers. So far so good.

Firstly, how do I do this? Do I have to delete XP before I start, or can I just install 8.1?

Secondly, what happens to the emails I currently have in XP? When my son tried unsuccessfully to install Windows 7 a while back, it didn't work and he had to put XP back in. Before he started he did something to the emails. So far as I can remember he saved these somewhere in order to reinstate them in 7. I think he did this by copying them to a disc, but I am not sure. As it didn't work, he just put them back into XP.

If I can save these somewhere, how is it done? I have already saved some of these piecemeal onto a memory stick, but these are specific emails, and it took a while to do. Assuming that I can save these, how do I put them back into 8.1, because the system is different?

When I got the laptop, I had to create a new email address, which is not the one for emails in XP. In XP, I have an original freeserve email address. However, I also have a domain name. Whichever is used to send me emails, they come into XP okay, so they are linked somehow. These do not come in to the laptop as the address is different.

If I put 8.1 into my main computer, will I have to create yet another address, and how do I link them to the two I already have? Or will I have to use the same address as I have in my laptop linking them?

My laptop is not connected to a printer, so I have never used this for anything other than accessing the internet, or the occasional email where it doesn't matter if I get the answer back to the laptop. Any correspondence etc. is through XP using Word 2000. Does 8.1 have a word programme for this? I also use Excel 2000 for many purposes. Is this in 8.1?

I am so confused and fed up with this! I don't know what to do for the best. Getting a new computer is not an option, I can't afford it. In any case, I would still have the problem with the emails.

I can't be alone with this, as many businesses have been operating XP and they must surely want to have access to certain emails etc. and also their correspondence with Word or a similar programme.

I know I am a pain, but I am floundering - as you can see! All help and advice is always gratefully received.

Maisie
Old 11th May 2016, 07:46   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 8,579 Times in 3,215 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

I hesitate to jump into this sad story, but why would you go for Windows 8? By most accounts it was the least useful of the recent releases, and not an improvement on Win 7. Win 8 was considered so poor that it hastened the release of Win 10.

If you are going for either of these, why not go right to Win 10 and be done with it?

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Maisie (11th May 2016), MiddleEarth (13th May 2016)
Old 11th May 2016, 08:03   #25 (permalink)

Basically because I have 8.1 in the laptop. So they would be the same. Also I would guess that Windows 10 will be quite expensive to purchase. I can't get it free after the XP.

Maisie
Old 13th May 2016, 09:27   #26 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Quote:
I really am not keen on 8.1 as it is so different to XP in many ways. Mainly the email part. But it is looking like I will have to put 8.1 in regardless. But, I wonder if someone could give me some guidance with this. I will have to buy this programme. My husband's computer also has XP, so it will have to be for 2 or more computers. So far so good. Firstly, how do I do this? Do I have to delete XP before I start, or can I just install 8.1?

Secondly, what happens to the emails I currently have in XP?

If I can save these somewhere, how is it done?

Any correspondence etc. is through XP using Word 2000. Does 8.1 have a word programme for this? I also use Excel 2000 for many purposes. Is this in 8.1?

I can't be alone with this, as many businesses have been operating XP

I know I am a pain, but I am floundering - as you can see! All help and advice is always gratefully received.
Your pain is evident unfortunately, your questions run WAY beyond the capability to answer you in detail in this forum.

Unfortunately there are still some businesses using XP and they put their businesses and possibly their customers at very high risk. Would you trust your local banker to make a software decision without the advice of a software consultant? Some small businesses do just that. They get hacked and invested and extorted on a regular basis.

There are some software solutions but only one of them is free and that is to install Linux. Do not not EVEN begin to attempt to install or use that without a very good friend who is tech savvy, who is willing to install and setup your computers, and is willing to be a patient and understanding friend and teacher for several weeks until you become comfortable (probably months longer). Therefore, that is probably NOT a solution for you.

The other software solutions are to buy Win 8 for the other two computers, or to upgrade all three computers to Win 10. If you purchase these, you will pay at least 200 GBP for the software alone.

You say your cannot afford a new computer, unfortunately you will be spending a lot money, effort and time and aggravation trying to make your old machines work.

You might consider selling the older computers on ebay or some such place and just use the Win 8 computer. Or sell all three and buy a new laptop for UNDER 400 GBP. (Some as low as 200 GBP) Amazon UK has a long list of these.

1)
Determine if your two computers have the capability to run Win 8.1
See these system requirements and remember these are the MINIMUM necessary to run Win 8. If your machines do not exceed these minimums your computer will run like you would in a muddy riverbank.

2)
If I remember correctly, you still live in the UK?
If so, it should not be difficult for you to find a buddy, neighbour, or bite the bullet and go to a computer shop in your area and ask them to help you purchase and install Win 8. They may try to encourage you to upgrade your newer machine to Win 10 and buy the copies for the other two machines. (IF your systems meet the requirements). Make sure they install legitimately purchased copies of whatever software you buy and that they give you the stickers from the boxed software or that they write down the serial numbers and authorisation codes for the software that you purchase. You should keep that in a very safe place and put a copy of that info somewhere you can get to it easliy.

You will pay between 70.00 and 99.00 GBP for EACH copy at Amazon UK What a shop will charge you for the software and the installation you will need to ask.

3)
If you use a friend or computer shop person they should first back up all your data including your email and help you restore the data to the new computer(s). They should also put your data and emails on either a large USB backup drive or a DVD for you.

4)
Word and Excel are Microsoft products. Office 2000 are, according to what I saw on a search, NOT compatible with Win 8. You will need to upgrade or purchase copies of the latest Word and Excel. Each copy of Office 2016 for Home & Student will cost you 99.00 GBP on Amazon UK.

You could ask your computer friends or the computer shop to download and install FREE Libreoffice for you. It is FREE for the download and looks very much like Microsoft office and it is FREE. Its spreadsheet program Calc and its word processing program Writer are compatible with Microsoft office. I only use Libreoffice and it has never failed to open from or save to a Microsoft office file either .doc or .docx.

5)
I suggest you start a Google Gmail account. Many people on TLF will boo this suggestion but for better or worse, Google GMail has many advantages. Gmail and your Contacts can be easily synchronised across more than one computer, it can import mail and address books (Contacts) from old email packages such as Outlook or other email programs, and it will not get lost as long as Google is in business. You can use Outlook to get your Gmail but it would be easier to just use the web browser (Chrome or Firefox) access to the online mail.

I am sure there are many of us on TLF if we were neighbours who would be quite pleased to assist you with your problems but they are far too technical and detailed for this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
Maisie (13th May 2016)
Old 13th May 2016, 10:34   #27 (permalink)

Oh deep joy!

Whilst I can follow a lot of your post (ME), much of it is over my head. Really, what it boils down to is that I am screwed because I don't understand.

Unfortunately, there are no neighbours using computers. I only know a few of them anyway and they use iPads or one of these new-fangled mobiles that do everything except make the tea! I think I might have to look through the local papers where computer "experts and fixers" advertise their services and see if I can find someone who looks kosher.

The only shop, PC World, is miles away from my home. I have been there with my son before and listened to him talking to the assistants in what seemed to me to be a foreign language! As already said, my son is not an option any more. What I want - I think - is someone who will take away my huge heavy tower and bring it back working, with something!

I realise that whichever way I go with this, the "tutorial" side is going to be a difficult road. When I got my first computer, in nineteen hundred and frozen to death, I brought home all the bits, put it together and started at page one of the manual! Unfortunately, those days have gone, and the book of words has to be read on the computer and printed off. I did this with the laptop and put the pages into a folder full of plastic sleeves.

I don't know what I am going to do. I am quite attached to my tower, which hums away under my desk, and I would be loathe to lose it. I only buy on eBay, I have never sold anything. Well, technically I have, but my son was here then and he sold a few things for me through his account.

For the moment though, I will have to soldier on as I am. Our passports need renewing, hubby has - finally - decided that we are going to make Wills, and we are in the middle of a dispute with two neighbours shutting off a Right of Way in two places and preventing us having access to our boundary brick walls. We are still trying to find a solicitor willing to take this on. What with all of this, we are in for a very expensive time. Also, we have just received our contents and buildings insurance renewal, which has leapt to over a thousand pounds from seven hundred odd last year! Pity our state pensions do not go up by this sort of percentage! So the next pressing job, by 1st June, is to find another insurance company.

So I am afraid, my computer problems pale into insignificance, financially, for the immediate future!

As I have said before, as far as computers are concerned, hubby is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Although he has a computer set up (much younger than mine), he never got around to learning how to use it. It sits on the end of the dining room table and I use it sometimes to save running up the stairs. So I will have to try and get my head round what has to be done on my own.

Again ME, thanks for the info. Much to digest methinks! Oily rags and darkened rooms are very attractive!

Maisie
spanabridge (14th May 2016)
Old 14th May 2016, 16:12   #28 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

I was going to also suggest a tablet or a Chromebook.
See this post:
Mac or Windows?

Not easy travelling into the future is it?

Good luck
Maisie (15th May 2016)
Old 15th May 2016, 10:01   #29 (permalink)

Yes, well. I don't want to be forced to travel into the future. What I have now works for me and I am annoyed that I will have to change this to something that will look so different it's not true! And probably will not work as I want it to. I well remember upgrading from Windows 98! Aaaargh!!

Hubby bought me a tablet for Christmas. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It operates on Android. Another different system! I had lengthy discussions on here about this when I first got it. At the moment, I am reluctant to use it until I can get AVG into it. I have tried, but when it says to click "Save", I cannot see this on the screen, although I have minimized it in case it is out of sight.

I upgraded my main computer and laptop AVG, because it told me to do it, and this ended up with AVG Zen (whatever that is) and it has a bit which says I can cover other equipment, including tablets. So I suppose I should investigate this part.

Why does it all have to be so difficult?

Maisie
Old 15th May 2016, 21:23   #30 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Wink Re: Windows 10 Free Ending-Security Info

Quote:
Yes, well. I don't want to be forced to travel into the future. What I have now works for me and I am annoyed that I will have to change this to something that will look so different it's not true! And probably will not work as I want it to. I well remember upgrading from Windows 98! Aaaargh!!

Hubby bought me a tablet for Christmas. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It operates on Android. Another different system! I had lengthy discussions on here about this when I first got it. At the moment, I am reluctant to use it until I can get AVG into it. I have tried, but when it says to click "Save", I cannot see this on the screen, although I have minimized it in case it is out of sight.

I upgraded my main computer and laptop AVG, because it told me to do it, and this ended up with AVG Zen (whatever that is) and it has a bit which says I can cover other equipment, including tablets. So I suppose I should investigate this part.

Why does it all have to be so difficult?
You might try Avast Internet Security.

Actually, if you are really careful about NOT clicking on links that you are not sure of, if you do not open attachments from anyone whether you know them or not until you check with them, and if you use HTTPS everywhere and do not go to a site it warns you about, you will probably be just fine without installing an anti-virus program. You SHOULD keep your tablet updated with all the updates they throw at you.

Maisie, life is difficult and one of the fun things about living it is that problems become challenges instead of headaches. Do not take life seriously, you aren't going to get out of it alive anyway so you might as well enjoy it.

In the meantime get one of these and just have fun:

Take a tip from Dilbert's boss:

AND just when you think you have some control over this technology thingy, just remember there are other folks out there who have even bigger problems dealing with all this new stuff...

Remember, the grass always grows greener over the septic tank. So whenever this stuff gives you a headache, take a nap.
Maisie (16th May 2016)

Tags
endingsecurity , free , info , windows