Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 17th January 2017, 01:59   #1 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts
Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of
Alternative to Adblockplus

Please can anyone recommend an alternative to Adblockplus, that will work with Windows 10 Edge, before I lose my sanity.

Working OK upto Sat. stopped working, started working again Sun. but stopped Mon. afternoon, so uninstalled and did a new download, was working again. Mon. night not working again, even though when I look at the settings it states 'enabled on this site' on every site I use, but it isn't as I am getting bombarded with ads, and it is sending my usage through the roof......Diane

Just after I posted this, I got a popup saying, something went wrong with your extensions, so we had to reinstall them. You'll need to turn them on again!!! I had to turn adblockplus on, what the hell is going on with this, can anyone explain? (why did it take this long for that to come up).

Last edited by Struggs; 17th January 2017 at 02:05.. Reason: added info
Struggs is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 17th January 2017, 19:58   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 14,064 Times in 5,368 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternative to Adblockplus

I have been in Edge a few times but adblock stayed okay so I can't replicate the problem. May have just been a glitch.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Struggs (18th January 2017)
Old 18th January 2017, 03:44   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,805 Times in 809 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future

You could always use a different browser.
bickern (18th January 2017), Struggs (18th January 2017), Yalides (18th January 2017)
Old 18th January 2017, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of

Have been thinking about using firefox again, but as I am getting on OK with edge thought I would stick with it. But, adblockplus stopped again today, luckily this time it just needed updating which seems daft if this has to be done every couple of days. Will see how the next week pans out. Diane
Struggs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 18:10   #5 (permalink)

bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to extensions, remove that adblock and install the other one.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
Struggs (19th January 2017)
Old 19th January 2017, 16:41   #6 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Bickern, sorry to be a pain not sure how to do that, please can you give me how to do this. Diane
Old 19th January 2017, 18:03   #7 (permalink)

How did you install the current adblocker?

If you look up to the top right you will see 3 dots, click those dots and from the drop down menu choose Extensions, a page should open showing your current extensions, one of them will be your current adblock plus.

Click "Get extensions from the store"

Muhammad Ali

Last edited by bickern; 19th January 2017 at 18:06..
Struggs (20th January 2017)
Old 20th January 2017, 22:06   #8 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Many thanks Bickern, I googled adblockplus and got it from Microsoft which turns out to be the store, didn't notice that before!

I did click ... the other day and at last found adblock, and have to daily click on options and update it, not sure if that is normal, but at least it has worked for 3 days. Diane

Last edited by Struggs; 20th January 2017 at 22:09..
Old 21st January 2017, 15:01   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,805 Times in 809 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future

Certain special things on the internet shows just how good or bad your browser actually is.

Firefox is a very good browser and I always keep the latest version on my laptop. However it has slipped in recent years against the likes of Chrome and Opera. I could give many small examples but since I've just been reading Mushtaq's thread on Latest Films I will focus on video formats.

Most browsers will play MP4 without any additional media player, it is built into the browser, but MP4 is old hat now and was superseded several years ago by MKV, a new better quality open source encoding method and being open source it means the browser companies do not have to pay royalties to include the codec's which make it play (unlike MP4), so one would assume Firefox being open source itself would relish this advancement. But NO, after several years Firefox still does not support MKV.

Chrome and Opera will play this newer format perfectly, I currently have 40 2016 MKV movies on my TV website which prove that. Yet the latest Firefox still will non play a single one. No big deal for my site as I also have 65 MP4 movies as well.

I have come to discover that Chrome (or Chromium which is basically the same thing for us Linux folks) is superior to Firefox in many ways and also has many free extensions to keep us nerds happy.

Like all browsers these things need to be setup to suit the users needs/requirements.

Footnote: I do not think the latest Edge browser will play MKV video either, perhaps some member of No Hassle TV could go there & test it for me, all the films in the Movies section should be MKV, the MP4's are separate.
Struggs (22nd January 2017)
Old 21st January 2017, 15:21   #10 (permalink)

One of the browsers I use is Brave - https://brave.com/ it has adblock built in. It is a Chromium derivative.

As it automatically disables ads on TLF, I know that that those dedicated members here will overrule that setting.

I just tried to watch Florence using Edge and you are correct Rob, Edge does not have the codec packs available to download neither (or I could not find them).

Muhammad Ali
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Akbuk Rob (21st January 2017), Struggs (22nd January 2017)

Tags
adblockplus , alternative