Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th September 2019, 11:22   #51 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 22,884 Times in 10,056 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10 again (sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
Win 10 update. Very large update is ready for installing. It has taken my computer around 4 hours to download and install. If you don't have automatic upgrades enabled you should take a look.
It says it is reversible - you can go back if you don't like it, but I can not immediately see what is different.

Ian
I get one a month usually about 13th, sometimes as this month I've already had one about a week ago, if you go to settings/update and security/windows update/ view update history you can click on the update and it gives an explanation of what the update was about.
I need to do this on 7 PCs my superfast is capped at 100 Gb so I try to use the super slow BT for all the machines I am not working on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4512941

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 23:04   #52 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Thanked 1,292 Times in 574 Posts
Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of

Well I know it is wrong but I have not updated my computer since the fiasco in 2017, my computer has not worked properly (still annoyed as it was a new one) since their update messed it right up, I am not geeky enough to fix their problems, and from what I have read on the internet most of their updates causes problems for some, about time their updates were checked thoroughly before sending them out. I never had any problems with XP updates, so what is going wrong with Windows 10 updates?

Last edited by Struggs; 5th September 2019 at 23:08..
Struggs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 03:12   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,126 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggs View Post
Well I know it is wrong but I have not updated my computer since the fiasco in 2017, my computer has not worked properly (still annoyed as it was a new one) since their update messed it right up, I am not geeky enough to fix their problems, and from what I have read on the internet most of their updates causes problems for some, about time their updates were checked thoroughly before sending them out. I never had any problems with XP updates, so what is going wrong with Windows 10 updates?
I share your concern, and I have also had some problems in the past with upgrades that create problems; it is in the nature of MS to fix update problems with new updates, so you run a risk with your strategy of not allowing them to put things right; I have resigned myself to just giving in to them, and letting them get on with it.

I do believe that in the modern world you can not afford to stop upgrading: the risks are too great. I am getting (an estimate) three threats/scam emails each day, from seemingly sophisticated operations, one at least with hacked details of an old on-line account demanding Bitcoins to stop them publishing compromising video from my Web Cam (I don't have a Web Cam). You can only put up a defence, I would argue, by trying to keep ahead of the game, and that involves updating software and anti-virus programs as needed. Personal choice, of course, but you are not operating in isolation to the Internet, so there is always risk that needs mitigation.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 6th September 2019 at 03:14..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
429nufc (7th September 2019), Akasya (6th September 2019), IbrahimAbi (9th September 2019), Struggs (7th September 2019)
Old 6th September 2019, 07:16   #54 (permalink)

Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold

Ian- how on earth do these people manage to get hold of your email address?
Rose Cole is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose Cole For This Useful Post:
Harem (6th September 2019)
Old 6th September 2019, 07:51   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,126 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Cole View Post
Ian- how on earth do these people manage to get hold of your email address?
They have, I guess, hacked an account of an on-line car forum site I used to use. Because I use a different password for each store, I know which it is; as it happens, they have only got the email, but not my name, so the threat is a very unspecific; I checked out the scam (threat that they had installed ransomware) and it seems some have paid out in fear of the fake threat.

The actual text (one of them):
"Your computer was infected with my malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool), your browser wasn't updated / patched, in such case it's enough to just visit some website where my iframe is placed to get automatically infected, if you want to find out more - Google: "Drive-by exploit".

My malware gave me full access and control over your computer, meaning, I got access to all your accounts (see password above) and I can see everything on your screen, turn on your camera or microphone and you won't even notice about it.

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

After that I removed my malware to not leave any traces.

I can send the video to all your contacts, post it on social network, publish it on the whole web, including the darknet, where the sick people are, I can publish all I found on your computer everywhere!

Only you can prevent me from doing this and only I can help you out in this situation.

Transfer exactly 800$ with the current bitcoin (BTC) price to my bitcoin address.

It's a very good offer, compared to all that horrible **** that will happen if I publish everything."

Sweet that in the last line they can't bring themselves to write the swear word!

Ian

Last edited by immac; 6th September 2019 at 07:58..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th September 2019), Harem (6th September 2019), IbrahimAbi (9th September 2019), Rose Cole (6th September 2019)
Old 6th September 2019, 08:58   #56 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 30,755 Times in 14,168 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian , good heads p

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019, 17:47   #57 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Thanked 1,292 Times in 574 Posts
Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
I share your concern, and I have also had some problems in the past with upgrades that create problems; it is in the nature of MS to fix update problems with new updates, so you run a risk with your strategy of not allowing them to put things right; I have resigned myself to just giving in to them, and letting them get on with it.

I do believe that in the modern world you can not afford to stop upgrading: the risks are too great. I am getting (an estimate) three threats/scam emails each day, from seemingly sophisticated operations, one at least with hacked details of an old on-line account demanding Bitcoins to stop them publishing compromising video from my Web Cam (I don't have a Web Cam). You can only put up a defence, I would argue, by trying to keep ahead of the game, and that involves updating software and anti-virus programs as needed. Personal choice, of course, but you are not operating in isolation to the Internet, so there is always risk that needs mitigation.

Ian
I still think they should not roll out updates unless they are bug free, I do not want to have to reset my computer and start all over again, like I had to last time, as their update completely froze my PC. I am also annoyed that in the beginning I could download their Adblock, but after this mess I had to sign in or create an account, which is fair enough to get adblock, only Microsoft then decided my PC would start up with this account and the name, NOT the way I had set it up. So I now have to pay for a different adblocker. You can't even use the calendar now unless you sign in, didn't know it was top secret.

Being a light user I just want an easy basic operating system, I do not need an all dancing, singing one, dreading the day when this PC packs in as I will never ever use Microsoft OS again.
Struggs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Struggs For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (9th September 2019), immac (10th September 2019)

Tags
windows