Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 19th March 2018, 09:10   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,737 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Smart Home Tech

I am planning to start on the road of Smart Homing my apartment. I will start with lights and fans, but integrate my Sonos sound system into it later.

I am looking for suppliers in Turkey for light fittings and switches etc. Has anyone done this?

At the moment I am looking at Wink2 and Wink Relay, not because they are the best, but they are available here and give me a bit more of what I want as compared with Samsung SmartThings. I donīt want the types that you talk to Alexa, for example. With many of them, you need to carry your phone with you at all times to make things work - donīt want that either.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 19th March 2018, 12:08   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,093 Times in 2,832 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smart Home Tech

What happens to the smart link when there is a power cut, or the internet drops out? Do you have to be on site to reset?
Old 19th March 2018, 12:31   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
What happens to the smart link when there is a power cut, or the internet drops out? Do you have to be on site to reset?
Some systems use Cloud storage, so will not work if Internet is down - not a frequent problem here. I am looking at systems that do not rely upon Internet links. Power cut stop everything, obviously, but do not (I think) need resetting.

At the level I am getting into it power failure will not be a problem, but on more sophisticated set-ups, where door locks and security are linked to the system, it could be an issue to address; possibly a UPS in the system could overcome that.

Some door locks take their main power from battery, and I read that some of the doorbell intercoms run down their batteries within days - these are both a problem if you can not get into the house because the lock is out of power, or you can not use the intercom.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (19th March 2018)
Old 19th March 2018, 12:51   #4 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,093 Times in 2,832 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

When we set up our heating system it used a German controller and it was possible to activate it from a mobile phone. the problem was that we had (and still have) frequent internet and power failures (at that time we did not even have ADSL in our village), The system had to be rest in the house so we could only use it manually.
Old 19th March 2018, 13:15   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 1,482 Times in 927 Posts
35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of 35pluschips has much to be proud of

Had "smart" in my properties for years..............its called THE WIFE.
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 35pluschips For This Useful Post:
sgreat (19th March 2018)
Old 19th March 2018, 21:02   #6 (permalink)

DarrenT is on a distinguished road

Have a look at Sonoff
I control most of my lights and some appliances with it

You can also set scenes using the app or an Amazon dot, which also now controls Sonos
It works a treat with the exception that the dot will not play music from a local source, such as your laptop..yet
DarrenT is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenT For This Useful Post:
immac (20th March 2018)
Old 20th March 2018, 01:23   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenT View Post
Have a look at Sonoff
I control most of my lights and some appliances with it

You can also set scenes using the app or an Amazon dot, which also now controls Sonos
It works a treat with the exception that the dot will not play music from a local source, such as your laptop..yet
I had looked at Sonoff, but needs a phone, which I donīt carry round in the house.
The latest systems have a bit more going on, and are more flexible. Have a look at the one I am looking at: Wink Hub 2
https://www.wink.com/products/

There is also the ability, using what they call Wink Robot, to link a stream of actions from one command. For example, if you had a fully equipped house, it could recognise you approaching the front door, unlock the door, turn on all the lights and adjust the temperature while playing your favourite music. The system I will have will just shrug and say "Oh. its just you" and go back to sleep: but you have to start somewhere.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 20th March 2018 at 02:03..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
DarrenT (20th March 2018), Leo (20th March 2018)
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:59   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Can someone with technical knowledge explain something, please?

A fundamental part of Smart Home tech is the Z-Wave communication between appliances. I checked with the American Manufacturer (Wink) who says American parts will not work in Turkey, which is on a different Z-Wave frequency.

American Z-Wave works on 908.42MHz; Europe works on 868.40 MHz and 869.85MHz. However, I have just checked with the Istanbul stockist who says the units they are selling are 908.42MHz (i.e. American standard).

Question: If I buy and use the available (in Turkey) kit on 908.42MHz, am I going to get into trouble with Turkish authorities. How far do these frequency waves carry and what will be the effect of using them if they are not legal?

Will the military be descending on my place looking for terrorists?

It is never simple, is it!

Ian
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:31   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

My only excuse is that this brand new to me. To clear up (and cancel the request for information in previous (8) post), I now understand that Turkey Z-Wave works on 868.40Mhz, and equipment is available in a very few Turkish stockists.

If interested, the two main standards to use Smart Home fixtures and appliances are Z-Wave and Zigbee (others are available). Both are available in Turkey. Both can be used in the same house (but will not talk to each other) from the same control App or pad. Items bought from UK and EU will work in Turkey as they have the same frequencies; Zigbee works on 2.4Ghz; Zigbee has more items/manufacturers available than Z-Wave; American frequencies are different and will not work on EU standard equipment.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 23rd March 2018 at 05:14..

Tags
home , smart , tech