FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Geeky Stuff

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2018, 13:46   #1 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 20,989 Times in 10,848 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute
Ink Cartridges are a Scam!

I think our Maisie may find the final solution the best one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (23rd October 2018), IbrahimAbi (20th October 2018)
Old 20th October 2018, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,920 Times in 3,227 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ink Cartridges are a Scam!

Very informative, thanks for posting, meanwhile get the cartridge filled up for 10TL in Turkey.
Jaycey (20th October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 10:01   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 4,406 Times in 1,606 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment my speakers are playing silly buggers and I can't listen to the posted video. But on the assumption it is a moan about cartridges, I have my own problems with this.

I bought a new printer (old one packed up) in August. At the same time I bought a new black cartridge from the same source (Argos). I ordered a few compatible cartridges as well from eBay. All duly arrived in good time. When the black that came with the printer ran out, I put in the genuine HP one bought with the printer. So far so good.

Then, this also ran out. I put in one of the compatibles. My printer was not having it. I got a message on the screen saying that I was using a remanufactured cartridge and tough, it will not work.

I wrote to 2 of the eBay outlets to see if they knew about this. One did not, but the other said that HP have started putting in some software(?) that detects compatibles and will not accept them. However, this particular seller said that by November they will have supplies that will be accepted by my printer.

In the meantime, I have bought some from HP (goes against the grain) to keep me in ink until the seller gets his supplies. Incidentally, HP are cheaper than Argos for the cartridges that fit my printer! What a surprise.

The printers cost less than a cartridge from HP, so what do you do? Throw out the printer when it runs out of ink? I think this is what HP want us to do. What a ripoff!

When I was at work (now in the dim and distant past), my boss got fed up with the constant battle over cartridges. Compatibles or genuine, so that he could complain to HP if the genuine cartridge did not work. He eventually bit the bullet and bought a laser machine with separate cartridges for each colour + black. This did sort of backfire when he found the various combinations of ink replacements. All extremely expensive, commensurate with the huge cost of the printer I suppose. I know he has now ditched this machine, but I don't know what he did in the end, or how he now manages.

I would say that most printers in the public domain and also in businesses, run out of black quicker than the colour. It does not help when you discover that it is cheaper to buy one of each rather than just a black. You then end up with multiple colour cartridges, which will probably dry up before they are wanted.

It does annoy me that printer manufacturers do not tell you which cartridges go with which machine until after you have purchased them. In this way you cannot get a new printer which uses the same cartridges as you already have a drawer full.

Maisie
Akasya (21st October 2018), IbrahimAbi (21st October 2018), Jaycey (21st October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 10:36   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 7,712 Times in 3,210 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

I got fed up buying ink cartridges and eventually bought a laser Samsung ML-2240 (not colour) on ebay for £20 about 7 years ago, I am still using it.
I buy a compatible cartridge (Approx £8) which lasts for around 2500 pages then I buy 3 refills for the toner and refill myself, this gives me another 12000 or so pages. I usually get several refills of the compatible before I need to buy another.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (21st October 2018), Jaycey (21st October 2018), Maisie (21st October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 14:23   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,149 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

I print in my local internet caff for 1 lira.
Harem (22nd October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 20:30   #6 (permalink)

traveller is a splendid one to behold traveller is a splendid one to behold traveller is a splendid one to behold traveller is a splendid one to behold traveller is a splendid one to behold traveller is a splendid one to behold traveller is a splendid one to behold

Quite agree that cartridges are a rip off, but what can you do, think of the excess waste of throwing out a perfectly good printer or a continual steam of spent cartridges. I have a Cannon and a HP inkjet, both printers are alike and the cartridges are much the same in construction. Neither printer is happy with "compatible" ink cartridges. Why can't cartridges be designed to hold more ink and better yet all be made compatible with all (alike printers) i.e. all inkjets etc.
traveller is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:
Maisie (21st October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 21:11   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 7,712 Times in 3,210 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quite agree that cartridges are a rip off, but what can you do
Get a 2nd hand laser that can take refillable toner. Toner doesn't dry up nor have to have the print heads cleaned.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 22:16   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 4,406 Times in 1,606 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say in it's favour, albeit a small one, the cartridges that fit this current printer come in two "strengths". By buying the XL version of both black and colour, the price is just short of double, but the page numbers that can be printed treble - they say!

With regard to laser printers: as said previously, my boss gave up on his, although I don't know why. I just noticed last time I visited that he had a different printer to the one that used to sit on the end of my desk.

That is another thing - are all laser printers as big as the average armchair? My printer sits on my desk on top of two sets of plastic drawers (which hold the stationery). So I have to stand up to load the paper (at the back, wouldn't you know!) I could not cope with a bigger printer without a step ladder to reach it!

Maisie
Akasya (21st October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 22:23   #9 (permalink)

dazkad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
Get a 2nd hand laser that can take refillable toner. Toner doesn't dry up nor have to have the print heads cleaned.
Did the same thing. Bought a Samsung M2026 New £40.00 for same reason

Last edited by dazkad; 21st October 2018 at 22:28.. Reason: typo
dazkad is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dazkad For This Useful Post:
Maisie (22nd October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018, 22:27   #10 (permalink)

dazkad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie View Post

That is another thing - are all laser printers as big as the average armchair? My printer sits on my desk on top of two sets of plastic drawers (which hold the stationery). So I have to stand up to load the paper (at the back, wouldn't you know!) I could not cope with a bigger printer without a step ladder to reach it!

Maisie
I initially thought the same but not at all.

Samsung M2026 is 33.1 x 21.5 x 17.8 cm
dazkad is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dazkad For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (22nd October 2018), Maisie (21st October 2018)

Tags
cartridges , ink , scam