FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Geeky Stuff

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2019, 23:26   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 8,217 Times in 3,440 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
Any experienced piano players.

Looking for some advice for beginner.
............. it's the people who count the votes."
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (24th December 2019)
Old 23rd December 2019, 06:24   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,299 Times in 569 Posts
Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of
Re: Any experienced piano players.

There are some tutorials on UTube.
juco (23rd December 2019)
Old 23rd December 2019, 22:09   #3 (permalink)

juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Its not tutorials I am looking for more some guidance on what to buy as a beginners piano (my wife not me)
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2019, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 31,949 Times in 14,865 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Piano is very difficult to buy second hand , the movement can be very inconsistent and modern heating and cooling in foreign climes means that tune is lost very quickly .

Yamaha Clavinova or DP digital piano with hammer action are superb , built in metronome , great action , keep tune and unaffected by temp change . The fact that headphones can be utilised for practice is a godsend .

They are also very resaleable if necessary .

Good luck

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd December 2019, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
shash

Thanked 1,093 Times in 500 Posts
shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of

I'm not an experienced piano player but come from a musical background. What we have done in the past is get an electric one that plays piano sound or more synthesised sounds. All good fun for a novice. Then once you've mastered it and want to continue then upgrade. A reputable piano shop would be able to give good advice we have found. They will often sell 2nd hand because the novelty wears off quickly with many people so possibly plenty to choose from. Definitely avoid getting any 2nd hand iron framed piano. 4 people to lift and a pain to tune when they are old and a pain to get rid off. When your wife is accomplished and done all her grades then you may want a grand piano. Good luck.
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shash For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd December 2019, 23:39   #6 (permalink)

Akasya......That pretty sums up what I was thinking, I am trying to get info before she buys (and before we argue errr..discuss) she thinks baby grand and I think digital, I have also been looking at things like weighted keys and grading etc. Something I dont think she is aware of (yet).

She is not a piano player but did 50 years ago play the accordion and managed to win some competitions back then and can read music and play by ear, this will be her retirement hobby.

I have been looking at the Casio Privia PX160 I think around the 500 mark. It appears to me to be a good entry level. So far I am thinking a decent digital entry level would be better than an acoustic at the lower end and as you say all the ongoing costs of tuning etc.

At the end of the day she will get what she wants but I need to create awareness of any pitfalls and try and steer her in the right direction.
Old 24th December 2019, 00:00   #7 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 24,224 Times in 10,719 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

My young lady is qualified to teach piano at a very low level, she didn't pursue it, her advice would be lessons on as many types as possible before deciding, my tone deaf non musical self would go along with something with earphones, literally sound advice.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 00:30   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
her advice would be lessons on as many types as possible before deciding
That was my initial thoughts and I did try and get her some lessons for xmas but either fully booked or hours didn't suite .
Others have argued not to do this as unless you can practice between lessons as you wont make progress.

Have you seen this little 9 year old, he generally plays at Kings Cross station, sometimes with his buddy Dr K (again on utube)

And then there is the 12 year old with Brendan Kavanagh (Dr K)

Last edited by juco; 24th December 2019 at 00:35..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
Akasya (24th December 2019), shash (24th December 2019)
Old 24th December 2019, 04:26   #9 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 24,042 Times in 12,741 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thread makes me wonder if there are synthesizers available for download
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
shash (24th December 2019)
Old 24th December 2019, 09:03   #10 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 24,224 Times in 10,719 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Linsey added this morning that there are pianos on both Waverley and Glasgow central station available for the public to bash out, her other advice is go to a piano/musical shop, there were a number of them in manchester and stockport. It maybe the same elsewhere her logic being to get the feel for the individual instruments and ultimately it's a piece of furniture that may simply end up as an expensive shelf. Her thought are if we had the space she would have a baby grand which to me seems excessive for knocking out 3 blind mice.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
experienced , piano , players