FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2009, 12:25   #1 (permalink)
GnD

GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold
Bread Making Recipies

I suggested in another thread that those good at making bread might post their recipies, because I just haven't got a good loaf without using a bread maker.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:20   #2 (permalink)
No Clique just Creak

flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bread Making Recipies

didnt you watch and help your mother as a child. Stick to the bread maker its so much easier. mixing dough putting it in front of the fire to rise then knocking it back then rising again a long job.
flowerpotman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 17:53   #3 (permalink)
GnD

GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold

NO my Mum's strengths did not include cooking. She worked four jobs while I did all the cleaning and cooking the whole family every day.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:36   #4 (permalink)

amber will become famous soon enough

Hello G&D
I love baking but am too lazy for old fashioned, knead, wait, knead,wait business................I did try a bread baking machine a couple of years ago but found it too much effort for too little result. A couple of months ago I tried a recipe that sounded too good to be true. The result was unbelievable........The method used is also totally unbelievable. Knocks everything we have been taught about breadmaking on its head. Here is the BASIC recipe and method, you can vary recipe by using different mixes of flour. Replacing one cup of normal white flour by one cup of cornmeal, or one cup of rye flour etc.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Measuring cups (USA Size) - 1 CUP = 250 MIL.
Big (high sided)plastic container with lid
Plain baking sheet
1 14" marble tile (turned to non shiny side)
1 oven tin
Non stick baking parchment

INGREDIENTS:
6 AND A HALF cups of Normal plain flour
3 cups of luke warm water
1 and a half tablespoon of dried instant yeast
1 and a half tablespoon of salt

METHOD:
Put all the above into plastic container. Mix together with hands until is a sticky mass and no dry bits left. NO KNEADING. Wet a teatowel and squeeze out excess water and cover the container. Leave in a warmish place until doubled. You can now put lid on and put away in fridge until you feel like baking. Will last 7 days.

If you want to bake straight away, sprinkle top of dough in container with some flour, remove half of it, turn onto floured board and shape into a round ball shape. No kneading! Line your baking sheet with parchment. Sprinkle parchment with coarse semolina or flour, place dough on this. Sprinkle top of dough ball with more flour. Put to one side to rise. You will know when it is ready for baking. it will have doubled in size. In the meantime, switch on oven to about 210o Put marble tile (upside down) in oven. Put empty oven tin into oven (at the bottom). When ready to put bread in oven slash the top -criss cross is good. Open oven door and pour 1 cup of hot water into
empty tin. Then slide bread together with the paper onto hot marble tile. Cook for about 25 -35 minutes till golden all over.

The extra left over dough in fridge can be used another day for more bread or for stuff like pizza.

Have a go. Really does work!
amber is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amber For This Useful Post:
ceyn (16th January 2010), GnD (30th October 2009), m&t (9th November 2009), Sunny Seasider (29th October 2009)
Old 29th October 2009, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
IM THE BESTEST :)

Thanked 1,440 Times in 539 Posts
zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of zuberdust has much to be proud of

ill post sum when i have time!
zuberdust is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 06:38   #6 (permalink)

zozatky has a spectacular aura about zozatky has a spectacular aura about zozatky has a spectacular aura about

Our method ..

1 Kg Soke un
1 tsbl Honey
Just over 1 pint warm water
Level tsp salt
1 cube fresh yeast

Method

Mix yeast honey & warm water, allow to stand till it goes frothy.
Sieve flour & salt in a large bowl, when yeast mix is frothy add to flour & combine to form a dough.
Tip dough onto floured surface knead for 5 mins until it becomes smooth & elastic.
Place back in clean bowl score the top deeply, cover with clean tea cloth & leave to prove in a warm place till doubled in size.
When doubled remove from bowl & knead for 1-2 mins then make into desired shape. Place on greased baking sheet or loaf tin & leave to prove again.
It will double in size .
Pre-heat oven to 180 c
Place bread on middle shelf.
Rolls will take 10-15 mins. Loaves will take about 20-25 mins.
Bread is done when bottom sounds hollow & top is light brown.

Eat when hot with loads of Butter & Cilek recil

Last edited by zozatky; 30th October 2009 at 15:09.. Reason: spelling
zozatky is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zozatky For This Useful Post:
m&t (9th November 2009)
Old 30th October 2009, 10:46   #7 (permalink)
GnD

Dear Amber and Zozatky,

Thanks so much trying Amber's today off out to get ingredients, Zozatky very soon.

You stars for taking the time to post that all out, I truly appreciate your efforts. I hope others try too!

cheers
Debbie Xx
Old 9th November 2009, 08:11   #8 (permalink)

zozatky has a spectacular aura about zozatky has a spectacular aura about zozatky has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Hello G&D
I love baking but am too lazy for old fashioned, knead, wait, knead,wait business................I did try a bread baking machine a couple of years ago but found it too much effort for too little result. A couple of months ago I tried a recipe that sounded too good to be true. The result was unbelievable........The method used is also totally unbelievable. Knocks everything we have been taught about breadmaking on its head. Here is the BASIC recipe and method, you can vary recipe by using different mixes of flour. Replacing one cup of normal white flour by one cup of cornmeal, or one cup of rye flour etc.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Measuring cups (USA Size) - 1 CUP = 250 MIL.
Big (high sided)plastic container with lid
Plain baking sheet
1 14" marble tile (turned to non shiny side)
1 oven tin
Non stick baking parchment

INGREDIENTS:
6 AND A HALF cups of Normal plain flour
3 cups of luke warm water
1 and a half tablespoon of dried instant yeast
1 and a half tablespoon of salt

METHOD:
Put all the above into plastic container. Mix together with hands until is a sticky mass and no dry bits left. NO KNEADING. Wet a teatowel and squeeze out excess water and cover the container. Leave in a warmish place until doubled. You can now put lid on and put away in fridge until you feel like baking. Will last 7 days.

If you want to bake straight away, sprinkle top of dough in container with some flour, remove half of it, turn onto floured board and shape into a round ball shape. No kneading! Line your baking sheet with parchment. Sprinkle parchment with coarse semolina or flour, place dough on this. Sprinkle top of dough ball with more flour. Put to one side to rise. You will know when it is ready for baking. it will have doubled in size. In the meantime, switch on oven to about 210o Put marble tile (upside down) in oven. Put empty oven tin into oven (at the bottom). When ready to put bread in oven slash the top -criss cross is good. Open oven door and pour 1 cup of hot water into
empty tin. Then slide bread together with the paper onto hot marble tile. Cook for about 25 -35 minutes till golden all over.

The extra left over dough in fridge can be used another day for more bread or for stuff like pizza.

Have a go. Really does work!
Good recipe. Do you leave the water in for all the cooking time or just as I was told by my old ma for the last few mins . She said if you put the water in from the start it makes the bread very hard but just the last few mins makes it crispy.
Old 9th November 2009, 09:07   #9 (permalink)

muscari will become famous soon enough

hi try this it works everytime

500grm unu flour
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
300ml warm water

put flour salt in bowl....add jug of warm water yeast sugar,,mix well...knead well,,whilst in bowl...then leave to rise for 1 hour

take out knead again ...can make into 8 bread rolls...or leave whole..put on baking tray to rise 1 more hour

pre heat oven 150c...cook for 15 mins...if buns...20min if whole

good luck x
muscari is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to muscari For This Useful Post:
GnD (16th November 2009)
Old 16th November 2009, 00:08   #10 (permalink)

amber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozatky View Post
Good recipe. Do you leave the water in for all the cooking time or just as I was told by my old ma for the last few mins . She said if you put the water in from the start it makes the bread very hard but just the last few mins makes it crispy.
Hello
I leave the water for whole cooking time. This produces a nice french style crust to the bread. I have tried other methods like spraying inside of oven with water prior to baking bread, also have tried spraying the bread as soon as it goes into oven. Best results I found were with leaving water in tin.
amber is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amber For This Useful Post:
zozatky (16th November 2009)

Tags
bread , making , recipies