FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
cottage pie or shepherds pie

im going to make one or other of these two tomorrow...i know one is beef and one is lamb.....and although i can make a fairly good basic one i never seem to be able to get that lovely moist gravy texture...i would be glad of a nice recipe.
im wondering if swede and tatties mashed for the top would be ok ..or is it best just to have plain mash.
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:30   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cottage pie or shepherds pie

A bit of swede sounds yummy. I always cook onions, mushrooms and the meat and then chuck in a can of tomatoes and some tomato puree. A friend of mine also chucks in a can of baked beans and I sometimes add sweet corn. I think it's a case of bung in what you fancy and then stick the mash on top!
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaplumba For This Useful Post:
howardian (3rd January 2010), shirleyanntr (3rd January 2010)
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
Just Call Me Ray !

Raysalaff is a name known to all Raysalaff is a name known to all Raysalaff is a name known to all Raysalaff is a name known to all Raysalaff is a name known to all Raysalaff is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyanntr View Post
im going to make one or other of these two tomorrow...i know one is beef and one is lamb.....and although i can make a fairly good basic one i never seem to be able to get that lovely moist gravy texture...i would be glad of a nice recipe.
im wondering if swede and tatties mashed for the top would be ok ..or is it best just to have plain mash.
You can use beef or lamb in either, the only diference is there are shepherds in one and cottages in the other, Sweed and tatters are fine for a topping, we put peas and carrots in the Cottage pie, when making the Shepherds pie I always put some mint in with the meat. Come on over Shirl and we will show you how we do it
We used to make a pie called Monday Pie it was made from (guess what? Sunday left overs) we used to put a can of Baked Beans in that, The choice is yours.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It Goes On.

Last edited by Raysalaff; 2nd January 2010 at 21:37.. Reason: Add a Bit
Raysalaff is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raysalaff For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:34   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 10,116 Times in 2,933 Posts
Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute Tess has a reputation beyond repute

Shirley I add some bisto (not sure if you can get it) to the meat and veg before i put it in the dish and then add the potatoes on top. Some cheese added to the potatoes is lovely.
Tess is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tess For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
I Love Kleopatra Beach !

Thanked 5,520 Times in 2,435 Posts
pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute

Shirley when i come over i'm going to make you one thats so good you'll eat your fingers of !!! { hubby says that } Very slowly simmer minced steak . weth finely chopped onion .. Skim off the brown scummy stuff . for the gravy add a little beef stock and cornflower .. Then place in the oven with the mash of your choice on top ..When mash starts to turn golden sprinkle with grated cheese , and serve with vegtables of your choice .. meat must be cooked slowly . I'll bring a bit of nice aberdeen angus mince ...Diane
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:57   #6 (permalink)

kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Shirl Diane might come to Datca with Hil and I in April so you had better hop on a bus and get up there. I can pick you up in a car from Marmaris. We'll let her loose in the kitchen!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaplumba For This Useful Post:
pineapple1 (2nd January 2010), shirleyanntr (3rd January 2010)
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:25   #7 (permalink)
I Love Kleopatra Beach !

pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha Jane you'd better bring a couple of loaves of bread then for the bread and butter pudding and a tot of brandy and small fresh cream ..Who wants to Diet anyway ....Plenty of time to loose wieght when we're 6 foot under !!!!....Diane
shirleyanntr (3rd January 2010)
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:29   #8 (permalink)

Oh yummy - but shhh Diane we'll end up with more people than we can cope with. There are 7 beds max and then 2 would have to share!!
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:08   #9 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,141 Times in 10,004 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute

We'e at the other end so no worries about hijacking you.

When I make mine I always mix my mash then add grated cheese (very strong cheddar and onions), and then just top it all off score the mash ans add a huge knob of butter. I never use packet mixes when cooking, my Grandma taught me well, she always said the juice from your meat is the best source.
shirleyanntr (3rd January 2010)
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:08   #10 (permalink)
I Love Kleopatra Beach !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplumba View Post
Oh yummy - but shhh Diane we'll end up with more people than we can cope with. There are 7 beds max and then 2 would have to share!!
Ha ha Well i hope the " Shared " one is for hubby and me !!!!
cos we can't have a carry on like the apple crumble case can we
It would put me off what i'm doing in the kitchen ..Diane

Tags
cottage , pie , shepherds