FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2011, 21:29   #1 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Cheese Soup

I made this soup a few days ago, really easy, the 2 essential ingredients required:

1. Red Peppers
2. Feta cheese

There are more ingredients added of course in this recipe, but IMHO those are all optional, well maybe not for the garlic, you need that! So don't fret too much if you don't have all the ingredients on the list. The 2 listed above are the ones that give the intense flavour and aroma! I can't replicate the flavour or aromas online but can share a photo of the roasted peppers, almost caramelised they become soo sweet after roasting!

Roasted Peppers after they come out of the oven - blackened, slightly charred, wrinkled but the smell is gorgeous!

I've jotted the full recipe down quickly in a blog, its pretty basic as I've never done blogs before, so this one will only concentrate on food,

Just to mention most of my cooking is done to taste as I go along so I had to think a bit before I put these notes down as I'm more of an estimating (andaaze se) person in cooking, keep tasting, checking etc. It's only if I bake cakes or something do I weigh/measure things, so you may need to make some adjustments to your taste.

If this looks appetising, you can view the full recipe on the link below, iif you like:-
Food journey

Last edited by newhorizon; 11th February 2011 at 11:39..
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
arrian (11th February 2011), Bibby (11th February 2011), Hilsjw (11th February 2011), Jack Scott (11th February 2011), shirleyanntr (11th February 2011), Yalides (11th February 2011)
Old 11th February 2011, 07:52   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 8,214 Times in 2,931 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Cheese Soup

Will try this one soon Newhorizon. Probably quicker and cheaper to put the peppers under the grill - I've done this before and they come out fine. Will use loads of garlic too. An excellent looking soup and cheap too !
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 08:04   #3 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,290 Times in 16,022 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation

Getting the missus on to this one. Sounds excellent.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:21   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,471 Posts
arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute

doing this as soon as i can get the cheese. my mouths' watering just looking at it! thanks newhorizon
Old 11th February 2011, 14:13   #5 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Having it tonight but with Van white cheese because we have no feta.
Old 11th February 2011, 14:59   #6 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, hope it goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalides View Post
Having it tonight but with Van white cheese because we have no feta.
Wow, thats quick work, I'm sure it will be fine, and works well with other cheeses of intense strong flavouring...you got Mrs Yalides on to this fast,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilsjw View Post
Probably quicker and cheaper to put the peppers under the grill - I've done this before and they come out fine. Will use loads of garlic too. An excellent looking soup and cheap too !
Yes, should have thought of that, but somehow I always end up roasting stuff, will bear it mind when time is is short, thanks.

It's not the cheapest of homemade soups, compared to good ole root favorites such as potatoes or parsnip, or even carrots (1kg costs less than £1),. Not sure where you are in the world but red peppers (single) cost 80p each (Sainsburys), 50p each (Asda), and sure even cheaper at markets or ethnic stores. I also found with this soup I didn't make a huge amount, as felt if I diluted it further than 1 litre stock the flavour wouldn't be so intense, next time I'll have to definitely increase the quantity of red peppers.
I can't recall the price per Kg, not sure of the prices in Turkey of red peppers, sure someone can comment on this...

A kurdish food store about 11 miles from me has some of freshest vegetables and herbs, including huge chunks of dill, red chillis, etc at a fraction of supermarket prices open 7 days a week till 10pm, bargain! only downside its a bit too far to just pop along to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrian View Post
doing this as soon as i can get the cheese. my mouths' watering just looking at it! thanks newhorizon
Thanks, its funny as I have got the cheese, as I only used less than half the packet of feta maybe 1/3rd but ran out of red peppers, so if I can get more peppers before the cheese gets mouldy will make some more. Shame I can't virtually pass over the cheese over to you.
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
arrian (11th February 2011)
Old 11th February 2011, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Ferretbrain

Thanked 1,170 Times in 513 Posts
Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of Bibby has much to be proud of

Have bookmarked that, THANKS
Old 11th February 2011, 16:42   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,471 Posts
arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhorizon View Post
Thanks, hope it goes well.

Wow, thats quick work, I'm sure it will be fine, and works well with other cheeses of intense strong flavouring...you got Mrs Yalides on to this fast,lol.

Yes, should have thought of that, but somehow I always end up roasting stuff, will bear it mind when time is is short, thanks.

It's not the cheapest of homemade soups, compared to good ole root favorites such as potatoes or parsnip, or even carrots (1kg costs less than £1),. Not sure where you are in the world but red peppers (single) cost 80p each (Sainsburys), 50p each (Asda), and sure even cheaper at markets or ethnic stores. I also found with this soup I didn't make a huge amount, as felt if I diluted it further than 1 litre stock the flavour wouldn't be so intense, next time I'll have to definitely increase the quantity of red peppers.
I can't recall the price per Kg, not sure of the prices in Turkey of red peppers, sure someone can comment on this...

A kurdish food store about 11 miles from me has some of freshest vegetables and herbs, including huge chunks of dill, red chillis, etc at a fraction of supermarket prices open 7 days a week till 10pm, bargain! only downside its a bit too far to just pop along to.

Thanks, its funny as I have got the cheese, as I only used less than half the packet of feta maybe 1/3rd but ran out of red peppers, so if I can get more peppers before the cheese gets mouldy will make some more. Shame I can't virtually pass over the cheese over to you.
how about a meet-up at the virtual pub or barn and we could share, my peppers, your cheese????? lol
The Following User Says Thank You to arrian For This Useful Post:
newhorizon (11th February 2011)
Old 11th February 2011, 17:12   #9 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Quote:
how about a meet-up at the virtual pub or barn and we could share, my peppers, your cheese????? lol
Hah, who,s the hot one then.
Old 11th February 2011, 19:26   #10 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Quote:
Sounds good to me!!
Remember though I want ice-cream for afters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalides View Post
Hah, who,s the hot one then.
Arrian certainly is, she has the red peppers! (I have the cheese) Without the cool, calm & smooth cheese it may be too hot to party at da club aka The Barn!
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese , feta , pepper , red , roasted , soup