FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2011, 21:32   #1 (permalink)
RIP

Thanked 3,828 Times in 658 Posts
Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Lemons, lemons and more lemons

We have a glut of lemons on our trees this year and I,m running out of ideas what to do with them.
Made cakes, marmalade, sorbets, fresh juice with mint, lemon merinue pies etc.
So I had a look on the net and found a recipe for preserving them, so I thought I would share it.

Preserved Lemons - Lemons Preserved in Salt
What are preserved lemons? A preserved lemon is a lemon that has been soaking in lemon juice and salt for a period of time. During this process, the lemon loses the bitter taste and becomes sweet. Preserved lemons are very powerful and can be used in a myriad of recipes. They are often used in Moroccan foods, North African foods, on baked or grilled fish, in a gremolata, as a garnish for vanilla ice, slivered in salad, or any recipe that fresh lemons are called for. Be creative!

3 small lemons
2/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1/4 cup coarse kosher salt, sea salt, or pickling salt
Wash a wide-mouth one (1) pint glass canning jar (with screw lid or air-lock lid) in very hot, soapy water. Rinse well with hot water. Dry and turn upside down on a clean cloth. NOTE: You can use any size jar you desire - just alter the amount of lemons, salt, and lemon juice accordingly.
Scrub lemons with a vegetable brush under warm water; rinse well and dry with a clean cloth. Cut lemons lengthwise into quarters and place into a large bowl. Add the salt and toss, using a spatula to cover the lemon quarters with salt.
With clean hands or tongs, place the lemon quarters into the jar, compacting them down as best as you can (this makes room for all the lemon quarters and helps to release their juices). When the jar is 1/2 full, put some salt on top of the lemons and place the remaining lemons into the jar. Using the spatula, scrape the rest of the salt from the bowl into the jar over the lemons.
Pour just enough freshly-squeezed lemon juice into the jar to completely cover the lemons. Wipe the rim clean with a damp clean cloth; seal the lid on tightly.
Place the jar in a cool, dark place for at least three (3) weeks (longer if needed). To distribute the juice and salt, every 3 to 4 days, turn the jar over (on end), let sit for a few hours, then turn the jar upright. The lemons are ready for use when the rinds become soft and come away from the flesh and pith very easily
To use the preserved lemons, pull the lemon quarter out of the jar, as needed, using tongs to avoid contaminating the inside of the jar with bacteria. Rinse the lemon quarter under cool water and remove the lemon pulp and seeds. Use only the pickled lemon peel. There is nothing wrong with using the lemon pulp, but pickled lemons are a powerful ingredient and must be used sparingly. They are actually very refreshing.
After the jar has been opened, store the remaining preserved lemons in the refrigerator for up to 1 year.
Variation: If desired, you can add spices to the lemons for preserving (cloves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, etc.).
ChrisBobs (14th March 2011), karios (14th March 2011), SonnyJim (14th March 2011), Sunny Seasider (13th March 2011), teresa (14th March 2011), Yildez Datca (14th March 2011)
Old 13th March 2011, 21:38   #2 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,133 Times in 10,002 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lemons, lemons and more lemons

Wish I was your neighbour Soo, I'd help you use some. I love Lemons and not just in a G&T lol. I love the juice of the lemon and a spoonful of Manuka honey in hot water in the mornings, great to kick start your day too, before I start to spoil it all with Tea.
Old 13th March 2011, 21:41   #3 (permalink)

thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold thingthong is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Seasider View Post
Wish I was your neighbour Soo, I'd help you use some. I love Lemons and not just in a G&T lol. I love the juice of the lemon and a spoonful of Manuka honey in hot water in the mornings, great to kick start your day too, before I start to spoil it all with Tea.
Whats manuka honey?
thingthong is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 21:51   #4 (permalink)
Em1

Em1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Rainbow
Preserved lemons (in salt) are used in morrocan food...very nice
Em
Em1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 05:38   #5 (permalink)
Living in Paradise!

SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that Soo, we have the same problem lemons, lemons everywhere! About to make a lemon curd cake this morning. May try the preserve recipe, sounds good.

I also slice and freeze the lemon on a tray then put into bags - ready for the G&Ts!! Another friend puts the juice in the ice cube bags, and another puts the juice in ice cube trays with herbs ready for cooking/salad dressings.
SonnyJim is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonnyJim For This Useful Post:
Yildez Datca (14th March 2011)
Old 14th March 2011, 05:53   #6 (permalink)
Free Thinker

teresa has disabled reputation

Thank you for that recipe. My husband was watching Jamie oliver last week and he used salted lemons and we were wondering what they were. I have a load of lemons as well so I might have a go myself.

Eleanor Roosevelt
teresa is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 05:54   #7 (permalink)

amanda b has a spectacular aura about amanda b has a spectacular aura about

I've made a few batches of Limoncello - wonderful! I also took 4 kilos to UK last week for my Mum who now has a freezer full of Lemon Drizzle cake

Last edited by amanda b; 14th March 2011 at 06:58.. Reason: sp
amanda b is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 06:24   #8 (permalink)
in my own clique

Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,306 Posts
hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute

..somebody else posted the same thread a few months ago ..with some very good tips..i suggested cutting them into wedges then freeze them ..(ice and lemon in one go for the G&T drinkers) ..also good in soft drinks for the hot summer coming up
johngood (14th March 2011), Sunny Seasider (14th March 2011)
Old 14th March 2011, 07:05   #9 (permalink)

johngood has a spectacular aura about johngood has a spectacular aura about johngood has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijo View Post
..somebody else posted the same thread a few months ago ..with some very good tips..i suggested cutting them into wedges then freeze them ..(ice and lemon in one go for the G&T drinkers) ..also good in soft drinks for the hot summer coming up
That's what we do I.Q. F .This is the best way then they don't stick together. got that many i just give them away to my neighbours.
johngood is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 07:15   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 8,232 Times in 2,937 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

Thingthong. Manuka honey comes from New Zealand and can be bought in good food shops and health shops. It is very expensive, the best can cost up to £20. per jar. It has healing properties and surgical dressings can be soaked in the honey as this aids the healing of wounds. It is also good for chest complaints. However, all honey is good for you !
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilsjw For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (14th March 2011)

Tags
lemons