Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

View Poll Results: Are you considering vegetarianism?
I am already a vegetarian 20 13.33%
Actually I am a vegan 0 0%
I would like to give up meat 15 10.00%
I could NEVER give up meat 115 76.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2011, 12:43   #1 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute
Are you a Vegetarian?

I was just wondering how many of our members are vegetarian. I recently gave up meat after a half-hearted failure last year when I ended up on organic meat. This time I am committed.

It would be great to swap experiences and ideas - not to mention recipes. Who knows if there are plenty of us it could be worth a sub-forum?
Just Marian (14th March 2011), nanamo (14th March 2011)
Old 14th March 2011, 12:54   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 5,949 Times in 2,811 Posts
SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you a Vegetarian?

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!
DRACEY (14th March 2011), lara (14th March 2011)
Old 14th March 2011, 13:13   #3 (permalink)

ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold

I don't eat meat but I don't call myself vegetarian as I eat fish (only wild, not farmed). Technically I'm 'pisco-vegetarian', having said that my diet is predominantly vegan!

Sorry a bit difficult to categorise!

Good luck with your non-meat eating. I just went off it due to poor quality of meat. Now there's plenty of organic meat available, but for me there's no going back.

Youth is wasted on the young!
Eddie, Pearl Jam
ZiaCa' is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 13:16   #4 (permalink)
From"Gods Own Country"

Thanked 10,615 Times in 3,457 Posts
pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute

I love Turkish food & cook a lot of Turkish recipes, inspite of spending 11 months of my year in the U.K. A lot of the Turkish recipes I like are just vegetable & very often (possibly 3/4 times a week) I will have meat free days.Just because of taste appeal, not because of vegetarian designs.
I love all meat & fish & as I like these so much I would never consider giving them up, unless it was for a drastic health issue.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:21   #5 (permalink)
Passionate about animals

Just Marian has a spectacular aura about Just Marian has a spectacular aura about Just Marian has a spectacular aura about

I am a Vegetarian cheat! - I eat fish, but not meat. So probably I am not allowed to be classed as Veggie now.

I was completely Vegetarian for twenty five years, but recently started to eat fish as I had some health problems - my B12 was deficient and rather than receive injections of B12 every three months I chose to increase my intake of foods containing B12. Seems to do the trick along with high dose B12 supplements.
My daily in-take of eggs and dairy should normally have been sufficient to keep my B12 levels up according to my consultant, but I have developed a problem in which my stomach doesn't absorb B12 very well, but absolutely nothing to do with not eating meat.
Peaceplant (14th March 2011)
Old 14th March 2011, 13:34   #6 (permalink)
Picnic basket raider

Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold

My wife was a Vegatarian but started eating meat when she fell pregnant with our first child (9 years ago). She was defecient in B12 and decided eating meat again was a good way to get this vitamin without having to take supplements or have injections. I guess when it came down to it the health of the baby overrode her objections to eating meat. She now eats meat regulary and is quite happy to do so, she especially loves Bacon sandwiches!

I have never been or never will be a Vegetarian.

"Smarter than the average Bear"
Yogi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 13:46   #7 (permalink)
in my own clique

Thanked 8,410 Times in 3,313 Posts
hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute

..about 16 years ago i became a complete vegetarian,i also stopped smoking (still have) i also stopped alcohol completly i did this for 4 years ..and it was guaranteed i was sick with something or other all the time..now i like my meat although occasionally i will eat vegetarian meals only..and like a shandy ..i have never felt so healthy
Old 14th March 2011, 14:14   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,607 Posts
parrot has disabled reputation

No category for me,why would I want to,do like a nice steak,chicken and bit of pork.
parrot is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 14:15   #9 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute

I love meat and absolutely adore bacon butties but I have always felt sad about the conditions animals suffer during life and at their slaughter. Like most people my desire to eat meat overcame the guilt but I tried last year. It was just before xmas though and I had several invites for meals out and found it virtually impossible to find anything worth paying good money for. So I kept giving in and then decided to go organic instead.

I read a book called 'Skinny Bitch' last month and it was just supposed to inspire me to diet but it catapulted me into vegetarianism instead

My husband is a big meat eater so he is bemused by the whole thing - as long as he gets meat when he wants he is laid back about it. Like someone else pointed out a lot of Turkish food is veggie so he is happy if he gets his home-cooked food meat or no meat. He's more interested in his tatli anyway.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:28   #10 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 1,686 Times in 624 Posts
louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future louise17 has a brilliant future

I eat alot less meat since living in Turkey but do not have any desire to become a vegetarian, if I want meat I like to have the choice. We eat less meat here partly because the meat is more expensive over here & we eat more freshly prepared meals using the fresh veg that you can get from the markets.

Interestingly when we go out to eat to a restaurant in Turkey, the vegetarian meals never appeal to me, unless it is in the traditional turkish kitchen type of places where they do more of the bean dishes or stuffed aubergine etc.

I feel my diet is well balanced with a mixture of meat veg & fish.
louise17 is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
vegetarian