FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2011, 13:27   #1 (permalink)
Picnic basket raider

Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold
Is a Vegetarian or non-Vegetarian diet healthier?

As Vegetarianism seems to be an Ďiní topic currently I thought it a good time to ask the question - is Vegetarian eating healthier/better for you than a balanced diet that includes meat?
On the one hand there is the argument that some essential vitamins we need are found in meat?
On the other there are the moral/religious issues and that by cutting out meat you also cut out other stuff which is bad for you.

I am a non-Vegetarian and doubt I will ever be anything different, I enjoy eating meat and meat based products. Some of my favourite meals are meaty, canít beat Sausages & Mash or a nice roast dinner. My wife used to be a Vegetarian but started eating meat again (White meat only) when she got pregnant, she was lacking in Vitamin B12? And felt that eating meat again was a good way to overcome this.

I have no objections at all if Vegetarianism is for you, my question is based purely out of interest. My kids are still young and they eat meat with us but in a few years if they decide they want to pursue Vegetarianism thatís fine.

"Smarter than the average Bear"
Yogi is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 18th March 2011, 13:57   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is a Vegetarian or non-Vegetarian diet healthier?

Ive been a veggie since I was 18 and I am hardly ever ill (accident prone though lol). I do not cook meat at home and we enjoy a varied and healthy diet based on pulses and organic veg. I used to have an allotment and we told every one we only do slow food, we actually had to watch it grow. My son was never given meat at home but he was free to chose what ever he wanted while eating out. We foster and the social workers are okay with our food choices, we ask the kiddies to try it and if they really dont like it we will provide an alternative, only 1 child never really liked being vegetarian all the others have adapted to our way of life. I think it's healthier because we dont eat the chemicals which are pumped into the animals these days. We have soya milk, butter and cream and eat eggs from happy chickens. I will never eat meat again.
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanamo For This Useful Post:
Just Marian (18th March 2011), kale (18th March 2011)
Old 18th March 2011, 13:59   #3 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,284 Times in 16,019 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation

Had a veggie burger once. It was like eating a cardboard box.
Old 18th March 2011, 14:04   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 20,150 Times in 10,159 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Just eat at Burger King

No way is that stuff either meat or vegetable

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 17:01   #5 (permalink)

lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalides View Post
Had a veggie burger once. It was like eating a cardboard box.
You obviously didn't eat the right brand, some are tough and you have to be careful if you bbq
lesley northall is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 17:10   #6 (permalink)

ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold

Depends what they eat....may seem a silly answer, but I've known vegetarians to eat bread, cheese and cakes and NO vegetables!

Generally I think a good vegetarian diet (comprising all nutrients required to be healthy) even better if organic, is better than a meat-eaters diet.

Youth is wasted on the young!
Eddie, Pearl Jam
ZiaCa' is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 17:13   #7 (permalink)

lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold

At the risk of being 'put down' on here, my thoughts are that it is a healthier diet. You don't know what the animals have been fed and what drugs they have been given. If you are worried about vitamins, etc you can take a supplement.
My boys were bought without meat and we have always had good health apart from the usual kids things, chicken pox, tonsilitous, colds etc. They were allowed to choose to eat meat when they got older and in fact one son doesn't eat much meat now and he is 31.
For us it is a moral issue and we don't want any animal to have a life and then be killed just to be eaten, there are so many other foods out there and these days there is more choice with Quorn etc being available.
We never condemn or preach to meat eaters about what they eat, its always the other way around and often 'meat eaters' get very defensive and preach to us. Everyone to their own choice is our thought. What always interests me is that some people will be up in arms about horses, dogs and rabbits being eaten yet they are still living creatures the same as sheep, cows , goats and chickens, meat is meat no matter whether they are pretty, a pet or just plain cute.
We do not wear leather either, we only have free range eggs and veggie cheese.
I could if pressed go on and on about the subject but won't.
Please don't call me weird or try to put me down, this is the way we choose to live our lives and respect that others will life theirs differently.
I hope that both meat eaters and veggies are enjoying the receipes that I have took the trouble to give you, try one or two of them it won't hurt unless of course you just can't stand vegetables.
lesley northall is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lesley northall For This Useful Post:
arrian (18th March 2011), Just Marian (18th March 2011), kale (18th March 2011), nanamo (18th March 2011), Rainbow (18th March 2011), willip (18th March 2011), ZiaCa' (19th March 2011)
Old 18th March 2011, 17:41   #8 (permalink)
willip

willip is just really nice willip is just really nice willip is just really nice willip is just really nice willip is just really nice

I feel the same as Lesley, I never condemn or preach to meat eaters about what they eat, its always the other way around and often 'meat eaters' get very defensive and preach to me and ask why i am a vergeterian. All i say is i moved next to a farm and in May i use to love watching the lambs and calves running around the field,then in June the cattle truck use to take them all away and i had to listen to all the cows and sheep crying day and night for weeks for their babies. so decided i did not want to be part of their suffering.

must admit i have always been very healthy hope that is because of a meat free diet.

Last edited by willip; 18th March 2011 at 17:45.. Reason: bad spelling
willip is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willip For This Useful Post:
Just Marian (18th March 2011), lesley northall (18th March 2011), nanamo (18th March 2011)
Old 18th March 2011, 18:54   #9 (permalink)
Passionate about animals

Just Marian has a spectacular aura about Just Marian has a spectacular aura about Just Marian has a spectacular aura about

I really don't know that you can say Vegetarians are any healthier than meat eaters. I am a Vegetarian and very healthy. My hubby and son are meat eaters and just as healthy. I don't get colds or flu often, neither do they.

The only thing I will say in our favour (veggies!) is that there seems to be an increased risk of bowl cancer amongst those who consume large amounts of red meat, according to research.

I have been a Vegetarian for over twenty years, although my mother told me I was born a Vegetarian! I do remember spitting out meat from an early age, I used to throw it to the dog, (who was always under the dinner table) when I thought my parents weren't looking. Thank God we always had a dog when I was growing up. Where else could I have hidden it; it was bad enough saving it up in my cheeks until the right time!

Thankfully, Dave and my son Scott are very respectful of my choice to be Vegetarian. They are very considerate and do all their own cooking, so at least I don't have to fiddle with meat.

But what I will admit is, that over the years, I have mellowed, I am less fanatical, I have realised that sometimes it's damn near impossible to be completely Vegetarian. I love wine, many wines are not Vegetarian and it is rarely clear on the label. I don't upset my dinner hosts anymore, if they serve a desert of cheesecakes or mousse I don't question if it's free of gelatin. Eating out - many so called Vegetarian dishes are made with Parmesan - it's never veggie in it's life!

I try my very best to be fully Vegetarian, because it's my chioice and I feel very fit and healthly for my age, as are many of my family and friends who are meat eaters.
lesley northall (18th March 2011)
Old 18th March 2011, 18:57   #10 (permalink)
Picnic basket raider

Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold Yogi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley northall View Post
At the risk of being 'put down' on here, my thoughts are that it is a healthier diet. You don't know what the animals have been fed and what drugs they have been given. If you are worried about vitamins, etc you can take a supplement.
My boys were bought without meat and we have always had good health apart from the usual kids things, chicken pox, tonsilitous, colds etc. They were allowed to choose to eat meat when they got older and in fact one son doesn't eat much meat now and he is 31.
For us it is a moral issue and we don't want any animal to have a life and then be killed just to be eaten, there are so many other foods out there and these days there is more choice with Quorn etc being available.
We never condemn or preach to meat eaters about what they eat, its always the other way around and often 'meat eaters' get very defensive and preach to us. Everyone to their own choice is our thought. What always interests me is that some people will be up in arms about horses, dogs and rabbits being eaten yet they are still living creatures the same as sheep, cows , goats and chickens, meat is meat no matter whether they are pretty, a pet or just plain cute.
We do not wear leather either, we only have free range eggs and veggie cheese.
I could if pressed go on and on about the subject but won't.
Please don't call me weird or try to put me down, this is the way we choose to live our lives and respect that others will life theirs differently.
I hope that both meat eaters and veggies are enjoying the receipes that I have took the trouble to give you, try one or two of them it won't hurt unless of course you just can't stand vegetables.
Lesley,

Do you eat fish? I only ask as I know a couple of 'Vegetarians' who do, to my mind Fish is still a form of meat, a living animal is killed in order for us to have our Tuna Sandwiches.
I also know someone who belives plants are living things (well they are) with a consiousness and that when they are harvested they suffer similar feelings to those of animals. They have a full diet so this believe doesn't affect their eating habits but if it did I wonder what they would eat?

"Smarter than the average Bear"
Yogi is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
diet , healthier , nonvegetarian , vegetarian