Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:31   #1 (permalink)
count your blessings

Stargazer Lily is a jewel in the rough Stargazer Lily is a jewel in the rough Stargazer Lily is a jewel in the rough
The Humble Fig

I am sure that many of you have noticed that "fig time" is almost here again and whilst many of you reading this will be retching and feeling nauseous and some of you may be thinking I don't mind a figgy roll with a brew, not quite the same, spare a few moments to read about this wonderful fruit and the benefits you may get from eating them.

The next time you pass a laden tree out on your walk, stop and pick a ripe fruit and you will realise that they are quite nice !

Members of the Mulberry family, figs (Ficus Carica) first originated in Northern Asia Minor. Probably one of the earliest fruits that man has ever known, figs are small and luscious fruits, with a chewy texture and a very sweet smell. Believed to be the favorite fruit of Cleopatra, they occupy a very important place in many cultures around the world. Romans were the avid lovers of the fruit and considered it as a gift from the fertility God ‘Bacchus’. Consumed both fresh and dried, figs are available in dramatic shades of colors, like purple, green and brown. Read on to know more about figs, including its nutritional value and various health benefits associated with eating the fruit.

Nutritional Value of Fresh Figs
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100g of fresh figs.
Carbohydrates - 19 g
Sugars - 16 g
Dietary Fiber - 3 g
Fat - 0.3 g
Protein - 0.8 g
Vitamin B6 -110 mg
Energy - 70 kcal / 310 kJ
Nutritional Value of Dried Figs
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100g of dried figs.
Carbohydrates - 64 g
Sugars - 48 g
Dietary Fiber -10 g
Fat - 1 g
Protein - 3 g
Energy - 250 kcal / 1040 kJ

Health & Nutritional Benefits of Eating Figs
The rich potassium content of figs helps to maintain the blood pressure of the body.

Figs are rich in dietary fiber, which makes them very effective for weight management program.

Even leaves of the fig plant have healing properties. Eating fig leaves helps diabetic patients reduce the amount of insulin intake.

Consuming figs helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Calcium and potassium present in figs prevent bone thinning and help to promote bone density.

Tryptophan, present in figs, induces good sleep and helps get rid of sleeping disorders like insomnia.

Eating figs relieves fatigue and boosts memory power.

Drinking fig juice helps to soothe irritated bronchial passages.

Consumption of figs with milk cures illness like anemia.

Due to their laxative effect, figs are helpful for treating chronic constipation.
Daily consumption of soaked figs (2-3) is an effective remedy for curing hemorrhoids or piles.

The soluble fiber, called pectin, in figs helps in reducing blood cholesterol.
When applied on skin, baked figs can cure inflammations like abscesses and boils.

Due to their high water content, mashed figs act as a very good skin cleanser and help in preventing and curing acnes and pimples.

Figs are rich in calcium and are excellent calcium alternatives for people who are allergic to dairy products.

Consuming figs also helps in aiding digestion and taming various stomach and bowel-related problems.

The juice obtained from green figs is effective for softening and treating corns.

Figs promote the overall well-being of an individual and are excellent aphrodisiacs.
Stargazer Lily is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Stargazer Lily For This Useful Post:
clark (24th July 2011), culturevulture (24th July 2011), DRACEY (23rd July 2011), Elvira (23rd July 2011), Harem (23rd July 2011), Helenm150 (23rd July 2011), ihutch (23rd July 2011), immac (23rd July 2011), kibris (23rd July 2011), Maura (23rd July 2011), Pandora (23rd July 2011), pepperkat (23rd July 2011), shirleyanntr (23rd July 2011), Sunny Seasider (23rd July 2011), toetoe (24th July 2011), Yildez Datca (23rd July 2011)
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
Kebab

Re: The Humble Fig

Have a Fig Tree in my Garden waiting until August to pick and eat every day!
send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:20   #3 (permalink)
'THE GOLDEN GIRLS'

Maura is a name known to all Maura is a name known to all Maura is a name known to all Maura is a name known to all Maura is a name known to all Maura is a name known to all

Thanks for that info on the properties of the fig, I also have them in my garden, how will I know when they are ripe?
Maura is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:23   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for this ...before i came here the only figs i had ever tasted were dried ones at xmas time..my mother used to love them and also boxed dates.....she also used to give us syrup of figs too..yuck
The first fresh one i tasted i had mixed feeling...now i love them...dried ones are lovely dipped in Tahini paste
i always remember an erotic scene from the film 'Women in Love when Alan Bates opened one up and ...

warning..dont read the next bit if you are at all sensitive...

he compared the inside of the fruit to ..guess what...no...im not going to say it..im too shy...go and get the video!
maggie (24th July 2011), Mojive (24th July 2011)
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
The Penguin Rules

Thanked 1,942 Times in 785 Posts
northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute northpole has a reputation beyond repute

Health & Nutritional Benefits of Eating Figs
The rich potassium content of figs helps to maintain the blood pressure of the body.

l don't know what sort of figs l have been eating.My blood pressure is still to high and flucuates
Figs are rich in dietary fiber, which makes them very effective for weight management program.
Your not kidding it does after an hour,l am spending more time in the bog then dealing with more important chores.But l am still fat
Even leaves of the fig plant have healing properties. Eating fig leaves helps diabetic patients reduce the amount of insulin intake.
Maybe that is where l am going wrong.l eat the fruit and throw the leaf away
Consuming figs helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer.
My doctor told me differently.My breasts have mutated into multiples of ten.
Calcium and potassium present in figs prevent bone thinning and help to promote bone density.
Does that also include the promotion of density in the brain.
Tryptophan, present in figs, induces good sleep and helps get rid of sleeping disorders like insomnia.
l must be immune to what in the fig.l cannever drop off into a good night sleep
Eating figs relieves fatigue and boosts memory power.
"Not me",l am so fatigued l even find it tiring to get out of bed.What was l going to write...Damm..l forgot again
Drinking fig juice helps to soothe irritated bronchial passages.
l haven't noticed after 2 glasses with a triple vodka in it."Boy",that is so irritating
Consumption of figs with milk cures illness like anemia.
Maybe that is the way to go.But first let me sleep on that one.
Due to their laxative effect, figs are helpful for treating chronic constipation.
Daily consumption of soaked figs (2-3) is an effective remedy for curing hemorrhoids or piles.

Your not kidding it's a laxative.My wife is sueing me on grounds of unreasonable behaviour.My defence is,it's what is in the fig that l blame."SO",that is why l constantly have piles.l forgot to soak them."oh",the woes of suffering from memory loss.
The soluble fiber, called pectin, in figs helps in reducing blood cholesterol.
When applied on skin, baked figs can cure inflammations like abscesses and boils.

Again,l goofed,l kept on eating them when in fact l should have plastered it all over my body.No wonder l have memory loss then.lt is the high colestrol to blame for,,"oh",dam,l forgot what l was going to say.
Due to their high water content, mashed figs act as a very good skin cleanser and help in preventing and curing acnes and pimples.
l thought a bar of soap would do the job cheaper.How about fig soap on the market
Figs are rich in calcium and are excellent calcium alternatives for people who are allergic to dairy products.
l never heard of anyone pouring figs on a bowl of cornflakes before.l'll stick to milk and suffer the consequences.
Consuming figs also helps in aiding digestion and taming various stomach and bowel-related problems.
Not with me it doesn't.l nearly pass out when l let rip
The juice obtained from green figs is effective for softening and treating corns.
l rubbed some of this on my corn plants and they died.First they went soft and keeled over.
Figs promote the overall well-being of an individual and are excellent aphrodisiacs.
My phyciatrist has said l am a lost case.l told him l eat a lot of figs and the benefits it promotes.He looked at me and said,and where did it all begin
northpole is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to northpole For This Useful Post:
Helenm150 (23rd July 2011), paddington bear (24th July 2011), Sunny Seasider (23rd July 2011)
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,141 Times in 10,004 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute

I Love Figs and Dates, I buy those huge 1kg bags from Julian Graves when fresh ones cannot be found. So another reason why I am looking forward to coming in the next couple of months is to enjoy them straight from the tree. I love them with Cheese, just simply cut them in half and spread cheese in between, yum, yum, on their own, in my blender mixed with Kiwi Fruit, the juice from this is delicious, with honey drizzled over them. Yes I think I've got my point across lol, love em or hate em, I LOVE THE LITTLE HUMBLE FIG.

Oh I've just re-read the last post and in paricular the last sentence, more reasons to Love them.

Old 23rd July 2011, 16:11   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 7,712 Times in 3,210 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

The Fig Wasp's Perspective

Quote:
The over-simplified story is this: Some species of fig wasps use certain figs for a nursery, honeymoon suite and coffin. Eggs are laid inside a fig; male and female wasps hatch and mate there. The female leaves, enters another fig, and lays her eggs. There she dies, unable to exit.

Some eggs will hatch. The larvae will eat some of the fruit as they grow toward maturity.

The male has two roles in life: The first is to fertilize at least one female hatched in their common fig. Second, he must chew out a tunnel for her to escape their home.

Once the female has mated, acquired some pollen, and escaped her birthplace, she flies to find another fig tree of the same species. It must be a tree which has figs at the just the right stage of development. She must climb into this next fig, usually losing her wings and antennae in order to get close to the florets deep within.

She will lay her eggs inside some florets, then die trapped inside the fig.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:06   #8 (permalink)
count your blessings

Stargazer Lily is a jewel in the rough Stargazer Lily is a jewel in the rough Stargazer Lily is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Thanks for that info on the properties of the fig, I also have them in my garden, how will I know when they are ripe?
Maura, the green fig will will slowly start to turn yellow and go softer, once it has a small split at the base ................ scoff it !

Northpole - perhaps if you took this humble fruit a bit more seriously your wife would not be sueing you, you would not be suffering from memory loss but more importantly you bum would be pile free ! Ha Ha !

Lily
Stargazer Lily is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stargazer Lily For This Useful Post:
Maura (23rd July 2011)
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:32   #9 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 28,286 Times in 12,703 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh fig , quarter and spread , big spoon of creme fraiche and a spoon of honey or brown sugar. Under a red hot salamander unti honey or brown sugar caramelises. Allow to cool slightly. Yummie.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (23rd July 2011)
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:41   #10 (permalink)
Deemon in disguise

Thanked 2,367 Times in 960 Posts
babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
The Fig Wasp's Perspective
I read about this a couple of years ago and then saw a programme about it and have not eaten one since!!!

Tags
fig , humble