FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > General Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2011, 19:56   #1 (permalink)

Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold
Eating onions The Benefits.

The onion is a member of the lily family, a close relation of garlic. It is often called the "king of vegetables" because of its pungent taste.

There are many varieties of the onion¾white, yellow, red and green globes. They also differ in size, color and taste. The smaller onions come in many varieties such as the green onion, or scallion which includes chives, leeks and shallots.

The smaller the onions, the more pungent they are. They are the ones that make your eyes water when you cut them, when the organic sulphur is released.

Nutritional Benefits

There is considerable variation in composition between different varieties and they also vary with the stage of maturity and the length of storage.

Onion is a powerful anti-septic that is rich in vitamins A, B and C. It is a potent source of folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, chromium, iron and dietary fiber.

Health Benefits

Ancient records reveal that onions have been used as far back as 4000 B.C. as a cure-all for many illnesses. In WW II, the vapors of onion paste was used to reduce the pain and accelerated the healing of soldiers' wounds.

Even now, we find many medicinal properties from this dynamite bulb:

Anemia: The high content of iron in onion makes it beneficial for the treatment of anemia.

Anti-coagulant: Just by eating half a medium raw onion daily can significantly lower cholesterol and help prevent heart attacks.

Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory agents in onion are useful in reducing the symptoms of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and gout.

Anti-septic: Fights infection bacteria, including E.coli and salmonella, and is effective against tuberculosis and infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis.

Blood pressure: Whether you eat it raw or cooked, onions help to lower blood pressure naturally. It also thins the blood, dissolve blood clots and clear the blood of unhealthy fats.

Cholesterol: Eating half a medium raw onion daily significantly helps to correct thrombosis, lower the LDL cholesterol and prevents heart attacks.

Colon cancer, prevention: Fructo-oligosaccharides in onions stimulate the growth of good bacteria in the colon and help reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon.

Constipation and flatulence: Add plenty onion in your cooking to help relieve chronic constipation and flatulence.

Diabetes: Chromium in onion helps diabetics' cells respond appropriately to bringing down the insulin level and improve glucose tolerance.

Diuretic and blood cleansing: Help counter fluid retention, urinary gravel, arthritis and gout.

Ear disorder: In some culture, cotton wool is dipped into onion juice and put into the ear to stop ringing in the ear.

Hair loss: A study has shown that applying onion juice on scalp twice a week for 2 months will cause hair regrowth. Definitely cost much less that those hair tonic.

Immune booster: The pungency increases blood circulation and causes sweating. Useful in cold weather to ward off infection, reduce fever and sweat out colds and flu.

Osteoporosis: A compound has recently been identified in onions that prevents the activities of breaking down bone. Especially beneficial for women who are at risk for osteoporosis as they go through menopause.

Respiratory: Mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey and take 3-4 teaspoons of this mixture daily. It helps liquefy mucus and prevents its further formation. It is also one of the best preventive potion against common cold.

Sexual debility: Onion is a potent aphrodisiac and stands second only to garlic. For this, the white variety is most effective.

Urinary tract infection: Boil some onion in water till half of the water evaporated. Sieve the onion water, leave to cool and drink. The anti-bacterial properties help to relieve the burning sensation in urination.

Consumption Tips

When buying onions, choose onions that are well-shaped, have dry and crisp outer skins. Avoid those which are already sprouting or have signs of decay, wilting or discolored tops.

Onions can be stored at room temperature but keep them in a well ventilated area, away from bright light to prevent roots from growing. Do not put them together with potatoes as they will absorb the moisture and ethylene gas from potatoes and rot faster.

To prevent tears when cutting onions, chill the onions for about an hour before peeling, or peel them in a tub of water. It is the sulfur compounds that is released in the air that irritates the eyes. Cut onions are to be stored in an air-tight condition to prevent oxidization. Use within one or two days.

Caution

Even though onions have many health benefits, they are also very potent. As in anything good, always remember to take only in moderation.

Briand.
Briand is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Briand For This Useful Post:
de1amo (8th December 2011), markie b (8th December 2011)
Old 7th December 2011, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,600 Times in 4,627 Posts
kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eating onions The Benefits.

Phew, very interesting, my favourite is pickled onions. Luvly jubbly.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

nice post ...i enjoyed reading it .ta
...i love onions they give flavour to everthing
this has reminded me of so many things
my mother used to say if she had an onion she could make a meal
she made lovely cheese and onion tarts
i had an uncle who used to wear onions in his muffler to ward off colds...no wonder he never married ...he was a geordie whippet man
Old 7th December 2011, 20:31   #4 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,312 Times in 4,442 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating stuff
Thanks Briand , I eat onions at least every other day in one form or another
(love them thinly sliced on a beef butty!)
Ted

ted j is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 20:40   #5 (permalink)
I Love Kleopatra Beach !

Thanked 5,520 Times in 2,435 Posts
pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love onions especialy juicy Spanish ones .I like spring onions also pickled shallots .

For some unknown reason can't eat them in stews any more they give me indigestion so no more stew !! ................Diane

Last edited by pineapple1; 7th December 2011 at 21:24.. Reason: wrong quote
pineapple1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,600 Times in 4,627 Posts
kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute

My wife uses unions as a base for many of her meals, she chops them fine and adds some olive oil and brings them to the boil. all the other ingredients then follow.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 21:20   #7 (permalink)
Saffie

Thanked 1,660 Times in 698 Posts
saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future saffie has a brilliant future

I love onions and use them for pretty much everything i prepare.

My Grandfather swore by them and used to have a traditional ploughmans for his lunch regularly and always ate half a large spanish onion every day..........he rarely had colds or flu and lived to the grand age of 92.

saffie
saffie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 22:25   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 1,209 Times in 370 Posts
gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of

I love them - white for cooking and red, raw in salads etc.,

My favourite is with the Sunday roast - cut in half, pepper well and drop of olive oil and then roast in the oven til soft - lovely!

Or lyonaise potatoes, sauteed onions, fried etc etc etc

Gizzo
gizmo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 01:02   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,857 Posts
tosmur has disabled reputation

I like onions as well and I use onions and leeks regularly, thank you for the information.
tosmur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 07:23   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 8,100 Times in 2,886 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

To stop those tears when chopping onions, light a candle near where you are chopping, another one is to put a spoon in your mouth, sounds daft but takes away nearly all the discomfort of peeling onions. Give it a try!
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
benefits , eating , onions