Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 27th September 2012, 13:45   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute
Nurishment.

It looks like my dad may be discharged from hospital very soon. He is a shell of his former extremely fit self and is so desperately thin. He has no kidney function and needs regular dialysis therefore he is on strict fluid intake restriction of under 1ltr of liquid a day, this includes gravy, jelly, custard and ice cream. He just doesnt want to eat, says there is no taste in anything and as he has lost so much weight his teeth now dont fit and his gums are sore and bleeding. So, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can build him up again I'd be so grateful. He is also diabetic which doesnt help but basically in spite of all his medical problems he is slowly starving to death. The hospital has supplied suppliments and although they have kept him going this far he cannot live on them. I have bought 2nd stage organic baby food and mashed some potato into build up soups, use full cream milk in his tea and add thick cream and cheese to mash potato's. Any ideas anyone?
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 27th September 2012, 14:05   #2 (permalink)

JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold
Re: Nurishment.

Try these as a start:

Calories: A Guide to Adding or Limiting Them on the Kidney Diet - DaVita

The National Kidney Foundation: HOW TO INCREASE CALORIES IN YOUR CKD DIET

As far as I'm aware, the purpose is to pump as many calories into the individual as possible, but staying within the dietary guidelines. As always, Google is your friend! Try key phrases such as "kidney disease" + "high calorie diet" - vary the search terms as you go along to get best results.

JF
nanamo (27th September 2012)
Old 27th September 2012, 14:25   #3 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,815 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mo, so sorry to hear this. Surely the hospital dietician could be of more help to you?
Old 27th September 2012, 15:11   #4 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 2,933 Times in 979 Posts
Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute

Mo I know your dad is very poorly and you have done everything to assist him in every way all I can offer up is complan or like the posters above try the internet chin up love I know its hard love M xxxx
Mary is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary For This Useful Post:
Old 27th September 2012, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

do a google on KOREAN LONGEVITY CHICKEN SOUP --ıts just good old fashıoned chıcken soup wıth gın-seng ın ıt--allways works for me when ı feel a bıt unwell and of course you can make ıt as chunky or as smooth as he wıll fınd comfortable eatıng.Chıcken broth works well on off-colour dogs too gıve them a bıt of chıcken and they get better
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
Old 27th September 2012, 16:22   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute

The dietician tells us chicken is best but dad cant chew it, he does however love fish so I'm currently looking at fishy stuff. We have to restrict his fuid in take as much as possible so things like Complain are liquid or high sugar. He hates yogurts and is getting sick of rice pudding. I'm off to check the web site now, thanks guys, what would I do without you. x x x
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 16:58   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

what about a bıt of lıver?mınced turkey---mınced lamb--ıve had teeth out recently and had to mınce all of the harder stuff--or cut ıt up really small--ıf he lıkes fısh a bıt of flaked salmon ıs nıce--or some soft fısh cakes and ı cook fruıt ın the mıcrowave wıth a bıt of sugar on ıt --only takes a few mınutes---and have ıt wıth a blob of ıce cream and a bıt of bıscuıt crumbled on ıt ınstead of crumble.Ive also done a lot of gooey cheese omlettes and pancakes.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
Old 27th September 2012, 20:23   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,471 Posts
arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute

nanamo, so sorry to hear about your dad and hope he improves soon.

i can't really help with his diet, but it sounds like he needs more carbohydrates than protein such as chicken, meat or fish. so maybe something like mashed potatoes with a small amount of these, with some gravy to help it down easier. as has been said, google it, and see what comes up.

i may be able to help with his sore mouth though. i was told at Christies to get a medication called GELCLAIR ORAL RINSE GEL SOLUTION for the ulcers i was getting. my gp gave me a prescription, and the pharmacy did have a lot of trouble getting it, but eventually did, and it's really good. the only downside is that you can't eat or drink for 2 hours after using it, it puts a coating in your mouth.
the only other info on the box says Cambridge Laboratories. i also looked on-line, and you can buy it, but it costs 37 00!

hope i've been some help.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrian For This Useful Post:
nanamo (28th September 2012)
Old 27th September 2012, 21:10   #9 (permalink)

belisa will become famous soon enough

If he is not eating large quantities of food you need to make sure that what he does eat is high in calories. Do you have a blender? You can basically blend up any meal which you cook and stir in, depending on the meal, proper 80% fat butter, double cream, full fat cheese or full fat mayo. Also rice pudding and ice-cream made with cream are good. This will give a good boost to the calories. My son is not a great eater and would live off fruit if I would let him, hence he is underweight. I have become a genius at 'hiding' the extra calories. I once saw a hospital dietician and she was useless so I understand the problem.
belisa is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belisa For This Useful Post:
Old 27th September 2012, 21:14   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 4,440 Times in 1,461 Posts
kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mo so sorry your dad is struggling with his food , and is not aloud much fluid.

Just a couple of things for your list of food .

Jacket potatoes scooped out mashed with best butter and grated cheese then put back in the skins so he can just eat the inside ,

Home made bread and butter pudding , with raisins and honey on top

Home made trifle nice and cool to slip down his throat

Home made blamange made with jelly and carnation milk

Hope the fluid in these are not too much you could make them in small pots and freeze

Thinking of you mo. kale Yvonne x
kale is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kale For This Useful Post:

Tags
nurishment