Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 1st November 2013, 08:14   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 4,406 Times in 1,606 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute
Halogen Oven

Some time ago I purchased a halogen oven, complete with all accessories. It got assembled, looked at, and then pushed to one side and not used.

I have a large range style cooker with two ovens, one quite small (very useful) and the other would cook a small moose! Recently the smaller oven packed up and we have had to use the larger oven. The two bread rolls, baked for lunch, look very lonely sitting in the middle of this massive oven. I have had this oven for over forty years, and it has always given good service. However, now I cannot get the elements for the smaller oven, so it is used as a store for pans, etc.

Last week I got the electric bill. Wow!! So ruddy high. I think this has got to be the power for the big oven, so we decided to press the halogen oven into service. According to the blurb in the book, anything you can cook in the ordinary oven – you can cook in the halogen. With one notable addition. Apparently you can “boil” eggs in the halogen, with no water. Yet to try that one!

At last (phew) to the reason for this post. Has anyone else got one of these halogens? How do you get on with it? But mostly, how on earth do you reach down into the cavernous bottom of the bowl to get out any food you have cooked? I lifted roast potatoes out of it last night one by one with tongs. Bloody crazy. There must be an answer.

Maisie
Old 1st November 2013, 09:02   #2 (permalink)
dod
Young At Heart

dod is just really nice dod is just really nice dod is just really nice dod is just really nice
Re: Halogen Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie View Post
Some time ago I purchased a halogen oven, complete with all accessories. It got assembled, looked at, and then pushed to one side and not used.

I have a large range style cooker with two ovens, one quite small (very useful) and the other would cook a small moose! Recently the smaller oven packed up and we have had to use the larger oven. The two bread rolls, baked for lunch, look very lonely sitting in the middle of this massive oven. I have had this oven for over forty years, and it has always given good service. However, now I cannot get the elements for the smaller oven, so it is used as a store for pans, etc.

Last week I got the electric bill. Wow!! So ruddy high. I think this has got to be the power for the big oven, so we decided to press the halogen oven into service. According to the blurb in the book, anything you can cook in the ordinary oven – you can cook in the halogen. With one notable addition. Apparently you can “boil” eggs in the halogen, with no water. Yet to try that one!

At last (phew) to the reason for this post. Has anyone else got one of these halogens? How do you get on with it? But mostly, how on earth do you reach down into the cavernous bottom of the bowl to get out any food you have cooked? I lifted roast potatoes out of it last night one by one with tongs. Bloody crazy. There must be an answer.

Maisie
Hi Maisie just persevere and fathom out how to use all the accessories to get the best out of your halogen oven. Try looking on Youtube. There are a few videos on their that illustrate how to use it to its true potential. These are just some;

ho to use halogen oven - YouTube

I personally love mine
dod is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dod For This Useful Post:
Maisie (1st November 2013)
Old 1st November 2013, 09:04   #3 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,412 Times in 4,500 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Maisie
We have one . I'm afraid there is no easy way to get roasties out other than tongs or a craftily bent metal spoon/slice
We find it pretty good at most things and have one of those metal extender rings so you can cook a chicken without it burning through being too close to the element

You can, with clever placement of the 2 racks , do a complete roast dinner and it's brilliant for cooking pizzas

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
Old 1st November 2013, 09:36   #4 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. Actually I have just bought an amphamagorian pair of long gauntlets with fingers from eBay. Apparently you could grab hold of an oven element when it is on without getting burned. What has puzzled me is how to get a dish out of the bottom without touching the sides of the bowl - which gets very hot. Hopefully these will work. I will report back later after I have tried them. I have high hopes of this gadget and, together with the microwave, it should cut the electric costs. So far I am quite impressed with it.

Maisie
Old 1st November 2013, 10:05   #5 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,412 Times in 4,500 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add, if you have the racks with it , there should also be a thin wire gizmo that you can lift the wire racks out with , if you put a plate on one of the racks and there is still room around the edges to reach the wire rack you shouldn't have a problem lifting everything out
Here is what it looks like

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
Old 1st November 2013, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
pavschick

pavschick is on a distinguished road

I have one at home in Ireland and love it. I want to buy one in kusadasi and although I seen plenty of them last year when I went to buy one this season, none to be found. I have tried all the usual places with no luck. I don't really want to have to carry one over has anyone seen one in the area?
pavschick is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 18:39   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavschick View Post
I have one at home in Ireland and love it. I want to buy one in kusadasi and although I seen plenty of them last year when I went to buy one this season, none to be found. I have tried all the usual places with no luck. I don't really want to have to carry one over has anyone seen one in the area?
I saw a few about last year too ın kus and wısh ı,d bought one.mıgros had them and so dıd SOK.You may be able to get one ın turkey onlıne.Im after a 3 tıerleccy steamer but cant fınd one although they are everywhere ın the uk--ı brought 3 of them over a few years ago but on my last one at the moment as ı use them nearly every day.I dont have a bıg cooker and dont thınk ıid ever buy one agaın .Iprefer to use the smaller applıances---ıe electrıc wok,3 tıer steamer and ım cookıng a lot of thıngs ın a dutch oven at the moment just on an eletrıc hotplate.Wıth the lıd on tıght ıt works just lıke a slow cooker on a very low settıng .Cant fınd slow cookers here ın turkey eıther.If you do spy any ın kusadasi please let me know as ı want one too.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 14:26   #8 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Halogen Oven

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Actually I have just bought an amphamagorian pair of long gauntlets with fingers from eBay. Apparently you could grab hold of an oven element when it is on without getting burned. What has puzzled me is how to get a dish out of the bottom without touching the sides of the bowl - which gets very hot. Hopefully these will work. I will report back later after I have tried them. I have high hopes of this gadget and, together with the microwave, it should cut the electric costs. So far I am quite impressed with it.

Maisie
Report on the gloves. Absolutely brilliant! They do exactly what they say they will. You can take the lid off the halogen and just take hold of the dish/tray inside and take it out.

I don't bother with the jacket potatoes. Just grab each one and lift them out. I can even hold the lid if necessary on it's way to that strange lid holder! That definitely takes some getting used to. I have put a non slip table mat (one of those rubber things with holes) under it and this works well.

Since starting this thread, we have not used the big oven at all. Judicious use of the halogen and microwave have ruled this out for the time being.

I have also bought an "air fryer" extender ring, which is supposed to cook, oven chips all round also coated fish. Will be crispy the book says! Haven't tried this yet, but it looks as though it will work.

From this you will realise that it looks as though we are converts to this way of cooking.

Best bit should be a much lower leccy bill!

Maisie
Old 13th November 2013, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
dod
Young At Heart

dod is just really nice dod is just really nice dod is just really nice dod is just really nice

Quote:

Report on the gloves. Absolutely brilliant! They do exactly what they say they will. You can take the lid off the halogen and just take hold of the dish/tray inside and take it out.

I don't bother with the jacket potatoes. Just grab each one and lift them out. I can even hold the lid if necessary on it's way to that strange lid holder! That definitely takes some getting used to. I have put a non slip table mat (one of those rubber things with holes) under it and this works well.

Since starting this thread, we have not used the big oven at all. Judicious use of the halogen and microwave have ruled this out for the time being.

I have also bought an "air fryer" extender ring, which is supposed to cook, oven chips all round also coated fish. Will be crispy the book says! Haven't tried this yet, but it looks as though it will work.

From this you will realise that it looks as though we are converts to this way of cooking.

Best bit should be a much lower leccy bill!

Maisie
Welcome to the 'converted' Maisie. As said before I wouldn't be without mine for a number of reasons. Those gloves you mention sound good. May I ask where you got them from and their price?
dod is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 18:43   #10 (permalink)

I bought the gauntlet gloves from my second "home" - eBay. They were £14.99 postage free. The item No. is 29093511876. They had quite a few when I bought them on 31st October. On eBay, you can see quite a lot of the short gloves (same material although different colours), but these normally sell as one glove, so you would have to buy two. I have to say I did find a site selling a short pair for £5.49, which I also bought, as they are more convenient when using the oven with the high rack and the plate/tray is easier to get to. These are white with blue silicone stripes. Very good as they are non-stick as well. Also useful for the microwave.

Hope this helps.

Maisie
dod (14th November 2013)

Tags
halogen , oven