FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Travel Forum > Global Travel forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2014, 10:54   #21 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across Europe using a car with Turkish plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWY View Post
Spurs, Do you mind me asking why you prefer the Dunkirk crossing. We will be heading for Calais in the next couple of weeks, but I could have a change of mind. Is it Dunkirk to Dover.

Hi, it was a bit of luck really. Got talking to a lorry driver who goes down to Milan regularly & he always uses Dunkirk. The ferry company is DSDF (I think) & yes its from Dover & leaving all the time. Be aware of the migrant issue at Calais if you choose to go that way. I have been told that some are deliberately trying to get cars to hit them (compo)
What I found was, you miss a load of tolls across France (rip off) & time wise its about the same.
Right from Dunkirk I type in Ancona & try to get to the other side of Milan in one hit. Once through Milan I look for an exit to a town & stay in a hotel for the night. Your satnav will tell you how far away you are (time & distance) from Ancona. Ferries from Ancona leave about 1pm, check the times. You know then what time to get out of the hotel.
If you want to have a chat anytime about it I cam PM you my phone numbers.

Personally, I would fuel up the car in Dover (that's another story)

Extras: Morrison's in Dover is near the port...............quick shop. Scotch eggs, pork pies ect (unless your Muslim). Also if you have a flask plenty of places to get boiling water. Basically if you have the right "supplies" it keeps you out of motorway cafes across France.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 20th September 2014 at 11:19..
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Laydilejur (21st September 2014), SHAWY (20th September 2014)
Old 20th September 2014, 13:58   #22 (permalink)

SHAWY is just really nice SHAWY is just really nice SHAWY is just really nice SHAWY is just really nice

Thanks for that Spurs, but we are travelling in the opposite direction, yes we are aware of the migrant problem, that,s why I was looking at Dunkirk has an option.I might try that compensation bit, see how many I can knock down, trouble is I don,t think they will have any money.

Shawy.
Spurs (20th September 2014)
Old 20th September 2014, 14:21   #23 (permalink)
Spurs

Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

I have done it in & out via Dunkirk, to me its the better way.

All the best.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
SHAWY (20th September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:58   #24 (permalink)

Laydilejur is on a distinguished road

A couple more questions:

1. Do you need to display a TR sticker on the back of the car when travelling in Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain, France) or will the number plate alone with the TR symbol be sufficient?

2. Does anyone know where you can buy the Breathaliser Kit that's required in France?

Thanks!
Laydilejur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:48   #25 (permalink)
Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laydilejur View Post
A couple more questions:

1. Do you need to display a TR sticker on the back of the car when travelling in Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain, France) or will the number plate alone with the TR symbol be sufficient?

2. Does anyone know where you can buy the Breathaliser Kit that's required in France?

Thanks!
1. No need to display an stickers. The only sticker you have to display is through Switzerland, you pay for it at their border & it lasts for one year (or the rest of that year) you will need to check on that.

2. The test kits you can get from garages going across Europe. Someone told me you should have two. Reason being if you use one, you then automatically become "illegal" for not having one. I never even had one............but that's me. You may even be able to get one at the Greek duty free shop (that's about all I would buy there). If you want duty free then get it from the Turkish duty free shop, its far cheaper. DO NOT go over the limit, you drive 100 yards & you hit Greek Customs who are well on the ball.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 22nd September 2014 at 11:56..
Laydilejur (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:12   #26 (permalink)

Laydilejur is on a distinguished road

Brilliant thanks! And thanks for the duty free tips too. I didn't even think about duty free shops at the border.

I've read that it is a requirement to have a working Breathaliser test kit in France but that they can't fine you if you don't have one. I just want to make sure we comply and not give anyone an excuse to cause any problems.

The last time we drove from UK to Turkey was before the EU borders changed (many moons ago). We were in a UK registered car then. It was fine going over but on our return, once we mentioned we were returning from Turkey (or they saw the stamp in our passports) we were then asked at three different borders to completely unpack the car, including Southampton port! I hope that doesn't happen anywhere this time as it's going to be a tight squeeze to get it all back in again. Plus the dog!
Laydilejur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:24   #27 (permalink)
Spurs

When going back into Turkey from Greece, you go through the Turkish passport control BEFORE you can use the Turkish duty free. So basically, you & the vehicle go through the control area, then park your car up (by the police station) & walk back down a little path to the duty free shop, your actually walking back past Turkish border control. It all seems a bit strange but there was no way I was being deprived. Even in their shop there are limits but as I said its far cheaper.

Personally I would prefer going back to the days where it was border controls through each country but that's another thread.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 22nd September 2014 at 12:29..
Laydilejur (23rd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:14   #28 (permalink)

SHAWY is just really nice SHAWY is just really nice SHAWY is just really nice SHAWY is just really nice

Driving in France?
Know the latest rules for drivers before you go to Europe
Tweet
Driving in France? Know the latest rules before you go to Europe
During 2012 there were several legal changes that affect you if you’re driving in France.
Even if you regularly drive to Europe, the AA is here to help you check the latest rules and requirements.
Two new French laws introduced during 2012 have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely.
Breathalysers
1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

Thought this might be of use, for 11 euro I aint bothering. Went through last year without one, its a chance you take.
Laydilejur (23rd September 2014), Spurs (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:10   #29 (permalink)
Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWY View Post
Driving in France?
Know the latest rules for drivers before you go to Europe
Tweet
Driving in France? Know the latest rules before you go to Europe
During 2012 there were several legal changes that affect you if you’re driving in France.
Even if you regularly drive to Europe, the AA is here to help you check the latest rules and requirements.
Two new French laws introduced during 2012 have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely.
Breathalysers
1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

Thought this might be of use, for 11 euro I aint bothering. Went through last year without one, its a chance you take.
That's my attitude. 11 Euros? I chuck that out of the car window in Greece & Italy to the poor people.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Laydilejur (23rd September 2014), SHAWY (23rd September 2014)
Old 9th October 2014, 09:20   #30 (permalink)

rikimilton is on a distinguished road

one must travel during the process of green card replacement either for employment or personal reasons, it is advisable to get their passport stamped with I-551 at the local USCIS office to indicate that the applicant has filed for a new card.

The stamp in the passport is the proof of lawful permanent resident status of the passport bearer. It will enable a person to travel out of the U.S. and re-enter as the stamped passport indicates, the person has filed for green card replacement as required by law.

Tags
car , eu travel , europe , plates , travelling , turkish , turkish car , turkish plates