FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Travel Forum > Global Travel forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2017, 12:12   #21 (permalink)

Thanked 20,481 Times in 10,357 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General comparisons Turkey/Spain

I bet your memory Eliza is waaaay better than mine so no probs asking again.

As you say it depends on area but as a rough guide I would suggest it's generally around twice the price

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
eliza (6th February 2017)
Old 6th February 2017, 12:20   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 1,394 Times in 513 Posts
eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
I bet your memory Eliza is waaaay better than mine so no probs asking again.

As you say it depends on area but as a rough guide I would suggest it's generally around twice the price
Bit of a snag ... Fortunately I am also quite near Bodrum and Izmir so there is a lot to do there, and the range of flights from Izmir is actually greater than from Newcastle - including to places I have never even heard of, which is quite exciting, although to be enjoyed with caution ...
It seems there are 13 museums in Izmir along, so I will have my work cut out to see them all! But I would like to visit Valencia very much, I think it looks fantastic.
eliza is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eliza For This Useful Post:
saoirse (7th February 2017)
Old 7th February 2017, 09:34   #23 (permalink)

saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

The city is simply stunning. The region itself is so diverse it's literally a privilege to be in it.

The most beautiful little towns and villages with narrow streets crammed with historical buildings, gorgeous hidden placas where you can wile away hours over a drink/ tapas just people watching and yet all this just maybe 10/15 mins from bright modern shopping centres supplying everything you need.

Love the area towns city and region.

Henrik er min hjelte.
Old 7th February 2017, 10:11   #24 (permalink)

Thanked 1,394 Times in 513 Posts
eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of

It makes such a difference if you like where you live - I actually also feel that its a privilege to live in Newcastle and whenever I go into the city, my heart lifts and for me it truly has the wow factor. There are a lot of very interesting little towns and villages around too - so maybe it is a bit like the Valencia area of Spain - one important difference is the weather, Newcastle is reckoned to be the coldest city in England, but hey, you can't have everything .... And of course we are only 12 miles or so to the coast
eliza is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eliza For This Useful Post:
saoirse (7th February 2017)
Old 7th February 2017, 10:14   #25 (permalink)

Yes big girl was based in Newcastle for a year ( Long Benton) and raved about the city and especially the people- though she thought it odd that even in winter when going out for a night no one wore coats!!!

Henrik er min hjelte.
Old 7th February 2017, 10:17   #26 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,586 Times in 3,049 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

How easy is it to get by in English? Do you find a greater need to speak Spanish there than you did Turkish in Turkey?
Old 7th February 2017, 10:23   #27 (permalink)

Good question

In my area it's Valenciano/Catalan that is spoken -not traditional Castilian Spanish

However the locals and importantly authorities are very cosmopolitan and progressive- so many signs etc are in all 3 languages

The council provides free language lessons and has a dedicated officer for queries in English.

Furthermore across the region there are a substantial number of both English people and English speaking people who are local representatives- including 2 on our own council, so access to information and services is considerably easier than in Turkey. In a nearby town it's an Englishwoman who is now Deputy Mayor

I should add that the Valencians are very proud of their culture and language so are very impressed when you make an effort to use it instead/ as well as Spanish

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 7th February 2017 at 10:26..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Akasya (7th February 2017), IbrahimAbi (7th February 2017)
Old 7th February 2017, 13:22   #28 (permalink)

At the risk of offending some- which for once is genuinely not my intention- could I suggest that for me the biggest plus for Spain over Turkey , is the greater openness, tolerance, easier sense of belonging - indeed cultural /pseudo-religious( I am not at all into religion but religion in Spain bears no semblance of impact on daily life as in Turkey) atmosphere

Again not wishing to offend- but I would suggest that being from (allegedly!!!) a more open society with endlessly less govt intrusion and interference, ordinary folk from Ireland/Britain etc especially with the direction Turkey is now taking- would find Spain much more of a relaxed society into which it is much easier to live, interact and integrate

Tin hat ready....

Henrik er min hjelte.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
SLEEPY (7th February 2017), Yalides (7th February 2017)
Old 7th February 2017, 13:36   #29 (permalink)

Thanked 5,928 Times in 2,801 Posts
SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute

Philip you are absolutely on the money about how things have changed in Turkey.

Sad but through.
Old 7th February 2017, 13:40   #30 (permalink)

I didn't take the decision to leave lightly nor in all fairness based solely on that reason. Similarly after being there 11 years I do not come to these conclusions in my comparison with Spain lightly either.

I do feel however they are valid criticisms especially as I have consistently stated that when it comes to the beauty of the country, friendly people, affordability etc- Turkey is way up there with the best of countries around the globe.

Henrik er min hjelte.
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Yalides (7th February 2017)

Tags
comparisons , general , turkey or spain