Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 7th March 2017, 12:00   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 24,487 Times in 12,508 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Unusual bar locations

I know there are a few members on here who at times can apparently be persuaded to have the odd half shandy so I thought it might interest you as to not just the proliferation of imbibing hostelrys in my new host country-but also some unusual locations

The Spanish really do like a drink with many bars well packed from 7am as it's customary ( job type permitting-I hope!!) to have a quick tightener on the way to work.

Also with the siesta hours for businesses ( REALLY does your head in trying to get to places when they're open!!) a 2 or even up to 3 hr lunch break can be common place.

However what really amused me was some of the bar locations.

For example many large supermarkets have a bar-the idea being the men can have a few biffs whilst the womenfolk chat and push the trolley

The one that really got me was in the Medieval town of Benissa where there is a substantial bar in.......the local library!!!!

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
davem (11th March 2017), Goreme1990 (15th March 2017), Yalides (7th March 2017)
Old 7th March 2017, 12:31   #2 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,368 Times in 2,557 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: Unusual bar locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
I know there are a few members on here who at times can apparently be persuaded to have the odd half shandy so I thought it might interest you as to not just the proliferation of imbibing hostelrys in my new host country-but also some unusual locations

The Spanish really do like a drink with many bars well packed from 7am as it's customary ( job type permitting-I hope!!) to have a quick tightener on the way to work.

Also with the siesta hours for businesses ( REALLY does your head in trying to get to places when they're open!!) a 2 or even up to 3 hr lunch break can be common place.

However what really amused me was some of the bar locations.

For example many large supermarkets have a bar-the idea being the men can have a few biffs whilst the womenfolk chat and push the trolley

The one that really got me was in the Medieval town of Benissa where there is a substantial bar in.......the local library!!!!
Obviously taking a leaf out of the Irish shops situation, I think Strokestown had 26 Bars but only a handful of actual pubs.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
davem (11th March 2017)
Old 7th March 2017, 12:41   #3 (permalink)
________

Thanked 10,094 Times in 4,835 Posts
kemerkid has disabled reputation

I was in the town of Roscommon 40 years ago and my then brother-in-law invited me out for a drink. He took me into a general store much the same as the shop run by Ronnie Barker and visited by Ronnie Cornett, you know the 4 candles routine, anyway we walked through and lifted the counter flap and entered the rear store area..... best drop of Guinness I can remember.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kemerkid For This Useful Post:
saoirse (7th March 2017)
Old 7th March 2017, 12:44   #4 (permalink)

saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes spirit grocers as they are called still exist in rural Ireland

Indeed the best bars were often attached to the local undertaker. Traditional Irish wakes were quite serious affairs so it made business sense for the undertaker to be able to cash in on the funeral catering, drinks etc

To be fair though I know of no Irish libraries with bars

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
oldfogy (7th March 2017), Yalides (7th March 2017)
Old 7th March 2017, 14:06   #5 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,084 Times in 6,233 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that the CEO of Migros is reading this thread.
davem (11th March 2017), Kingfisher (12th March 2017), oldfogy (7th March 2017), saoirse (7th March 2017), ted j (8th March 2017)
Old 8th March 2017, 13:44   #6 (permalink)

Alas I think the only changes to bars in Turkey may be their diminishing numbers

Henrik er min hjelte.
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Kingfisher (8th March 2017)
Old 8th March 2017, 13:54   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,756 Posts
Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute

Philip, you would love Brittany! In my husband's village there was a Bar-Boucherie (butcher's with a bar where you had a drink where they cut up your meat), a Bar-Boulangerie, (you have a drink while queuing up for your baguette), a Bar-Epicerie (bar +
grocer's shop, she shops, you drink) and of course the typical Bar-Tabac.
Kingfisher is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfisher For This Useful Post:
saoirse (8th March 2017)
Old 8th March 2017, 13:57   #8 (permalink)

Love it!!!

Because of the religious/cultural differences betwixt Turkey/Spain, despite not being a big drinker, the bar culture has really stood out to me as one of the most striking differences

Can't wait for the fiestas to start!- although a local warned me with our place being only 200m from the village square we will need to keep same hours as locals as regards to when we sleep!!!!

Henrik er min hjelte.
Kingfisher (9th March 2017)
Old 8th March 2017, 13:59   #9 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,084 Times in 6,233 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
Alas I think the only changes to bars in Turkey may be their diminishing numbers
I believe that they no longer serve alcohol in the dining cars of the trains. We used to love travelling to Istanbul overnight on the Pamukkale express from Denizli. food was good, a few Efes in the dining car, back to the sleeping car (a few more cooling in the fridge). Wake up and have breakfast as we passed lake Sapanca. fabulous, nearest to the orient express that we could afford.
saoirse (8th March 2017)
Old 8th March 2017, 14:04   #10 (permalink)

Would have LOVED that!

Love epic train journeys. As a teenager a mate and me went across Europe Belfast to Bratislava by train.

Great way to travel and have excellent opportunities to do so again with Espanas amazing rail network and monthly long haul offers

Henrik er min hjelte.
IbrahimAbi (8th March 2017)

Tags
bar , locations , unusual