FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Health Matters

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2017, 22:17   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 8,555 Times in 3,588 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
EU travel insurance V EHIC card

Last year with pre existing heart attack (8 years ago) it was £68 ok now aged 65 so expect a bit more, however I have since had 2 bouts of Pancreatitis, on the 2nd bout they found the cause (sludge in the billary tract which has now been extracted) and hopefully now cured.

Cheapest so far is £400, but still searching.

I dispute their computerised form filling as it forces you to say high blood pressure and cholesterol which I donít have and have never had, in fact it is at the lower end of normal, but medication is taken as a precautionary measure.

I was thinking within the EU using free medical cover (EHIC) but not quite sure how that works thinking I could take normal travel insurance and if pre existing kicks in then using their state hospitals.

Anyone got experience of this.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 26th July 2017, 11:12   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 8,161 Times in 3,541 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU travel insurance V EHIC card

Rather than searching for travel insurance online, try googling 'longterm health travel insurance'.
Dont rely on an online application form. If you get a defaulting auto-fill try instead phoning the company and ask to speak to an underwriter. you may have to push but it can be helpful.
Good luck!
EHIC wont work in Turkey; you would have to get yourself back into the Eurozone, not always practical or even sensible if you are taken ill.

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 11:18   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 24,520 Times in 12,526 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Brexiteer attempting to use the facilities and benefits of the EU....

As has been said ''tis for use within the glorious EU only-and even then for full cover ( repatriation etc) trav ins is required

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 11:56   #4 (permalink)

juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dont rely on an online application form. If you get a defaulting auto-fill try instead phoning the company and ask to speak to an underwriter.
I have spoken direct but not to an underwriter (will try that) even phoning they are keying in to a computerised form, I also tried the ombudsman but they cant help. I would be in the EU so wont be Turkey for this year.

Quote:
As has been said ''tis for use within the glorious EU only-and even then for full cover ( repatriation etc) trav ins is required
I am quite prepared to get travel ins the issue is how they are loading it for issues that are not actually a problem.
It compares to getting the vaccines for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and polio, you dont have them it is preventative, and one wouldnt expect to be top loaded with travel ins for them.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 11:57   #5 (permalink)

saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

How long will you be visiting the Eu country for?

Henrik er min hjelte.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:58   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
How long will you be visiting the Eu country for?
2 weeks this year, probably Spain or Greece.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:59   #7 (permalink)

Ok

Your EHIC card will cover all eventualities whilst there EXCEPT repatriation and some " motoring/sports" activities

To that end have you checked price comparison sites re trav ins?

Many of those sites allow you to narrow down your cover to pretty basic stuff which in your case you may only need very basic plus repatriation

If you need help with those sites give me a shout

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 26th July 2017 at 12:05..
Old 26th July 2017, 12:11   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
To that end have you checked price comparison sites re trav ins?
Yes I can get basic for £45 (maybe less) and last year with heart it was £68, so might drop the Pancreatitis as they did find the cause and cured it (hopefully)
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
saoirse (26th July 2017)
Old 26th July 2017, 12:16   #9 (permalink)

Excellent
Basically for a 2 week stay your EHIC -with basic back up ( cannot emphasise enough the ultra expensive process of repatriation) should suffice

Enjoy your time

Henrik er min hjelte.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:42   #10 (permalink)

Update:

Still to finalise the insurance, so far I have found with declaring heart issue I can get for £65 for years cover. If I include pancreatitis even though the cause has been cured (apparently) I am non insurable as that was in the last 6 months so that will have to rely on the EHIC card should the need occur.

Now the repatriation part.
So far if I need medical attention I am covered but if repatriation is required if ill that will be covered however if we are talking a body repatriation then most are up to £7500 of cover which I thought on the low side. I then checked this out with Mears repatriation company and it would appear that back to Heathrow from Europe the average cost is around £3500 so maybe the £7500 is not so bad.

Still checking it all out but need to get it sorted this week.

Tags
card , ehic , insurance , travel