Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:56   #1331 (permalink)

Thanked 6,602 Times in 2,246 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Bolshie Husband

Today's problem has just manifested itself.

Beautiful day, over 80 degrees in the sun. So I did the washing. I have two very high lines that go the length of the garden, attached to one pole at the end. The third load is still washing. But, I reasoned, a lot of the original will be dry when this is ready to go out.

In order to get the maximum height from the pole, Dave set a large diameter steel tube into concrete at the end of the garden. He filled it with concrete and put a bar across it through two holes to provide drainage. The line pole dropped into this, thus gaining the extra height as it was not in the ground.

I pulled the second line up, and both lines fell down. I fought my way through the bushes at the end to get to the pole. It has snapped at the top of the tube! All the washing down on the ground. Great! Good job I cut the grass yesterday, at least it is flat, although there are loads of dry bits knocking about.

Fortunately, I have a fold out airer which - surprise - I was able to find quite easily. So all the washing is now festooned on this on the patio.

Getting a new pole is not a problem, but the bottom piece of the original pole is stuck in the tube. I haven't investigated it properly yet, but I would assume that over the years the tube has rusted inside and the pole piece will be 'welded' to it. How on earth am I going to get this broken piece out? The obvious, hammer and chisel, I don't think will work. The pole has been there for over forty years. We had a similar arrangement in our previous house, but the pole just lifted out when we moved.

I refuse to have a rotary airer, I don't like them.

Oh dear! What next?

Maisie
Akasya (23rd June 2020), Harem (23rd June 2020), jcrian (23rd June 2020), tintagel (24th June 2020)
Old 24th June 2020, 08:20   #1332 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

I was so wrong with the fixing of the line pole. What I described yesterday, I remembered later, was the arrangement for the pole at our previous house.

One of our first jobs here was underpinning the six feet brick wall that goes round all three sides of the garden. Bob the Bodger had struck again in that he had built the wall on a small concrete sort of path, and then to hold it up built raised brick borders in front of the wall filled with soil! We only discovered this when we decided to remove the borders - they took up too much of the garden. As part of the underpinning, we brought it out about one foot into the garden. It made the job easier as it gave a bit more room behind the formwork to get the concrete in. We could only do a short section at a time in order to make sure the wall did not fall down. We ended up with a huge amount of good topsoil that we didn't want. We barrowed it to the side and put a board in the front garden telling people to help themselves. It all went. One man came back several time with a trailer! Back to the pole.

After clearing away the ivy, I got a good look at the fixing. I then remembered that Dave had the fabrication shop at his work make a contraption to hold the line pole. It is a large square thick steel plate with a tube welded to it. Held on the face of the underpinning with four huge bolts, which had got stuck of course. After a lot of effort. Mark managed to get the plate off. Huge concrete bolts! He had to use a piece of narrowish aluminium tube (I keep it in my boot for torque when removing wheel nuts if I got a puncture) with a socket and extension bar. What a job! The bolts are thicker than my thumb! Mark reckons they will clean though as the bolts themselves are not corroded. However, after getting the plate out into the light, it is fairly obvious that we would not be able to get the broken pole piece out to re-use it. At least, not without a machine shop on tap! We are now tossing around other ideas.

Initial thought is to use a piece of scaffold pole fixed to the face of the underpinning with scaffold saddle brackets. This led to maybe using saddle brackets on the piece of pole that is left, which is about 2.5m long. Drilling new holes in the concrete will be difficult. I think Dave must have borrowed some sort of drill from work as there is no way an ordinary household drill would have been man enough to drill the holes that are there for the plate. After all, we knew the consistency of the concrete! The holes are about half to three quarters of an inch diameter and the bolts are five inches long.

Parts of the brick wall need attention, particularly the top few courses. Another job that Dave intended to get looked at. Therefore, I would not contemplate fixing the pole to the wall. Obviously, as Mark said, this would be the simplest. But I don't think the wall would stand up to the pull of the full washing lines for very long. The concrete, however, is more stable.

I mentioned once before that we bought a new drill. Massive thing and very heavy. It seemed like a good idea at the time. More robust than normal DIY drills. It was fine when Dave used it to drill two weep holes in the concrete patio (Bob the Bodger laid it - say no more!) where it dips allowing large puddles to form. The weight of the drill was obviously an advantage. However, when Dave tried to use it in a horizontal position (a cupboard literally fell off the kitchen wall), he could not hold it's weight. Mark is very strong so I think he could cope with this although the position is awkward. I will have to cut away a lot of undergrowth to get better access.

Actually, the concrete patio is quite comical. It is bent! Using an angle grinder, Dave tried to cut out the worst section with the intention of relaying it. But for various reasons it didn't work. The reason it dips is because new drains were laid to the manhole by Bob the Bodger. About five foot down. After replacing the soil, the concrete was laid straight on top of it with no mesh reinforcement, no hardcore etc. and it was laid almost straight away. When the soil settled it left voids and the concrete followed it! The whole lot needs digging up. But it has been used in part for the foundations for the brick shed (we extended it), two small side walls with the side gate between, a double planter wall and we compounded it by building a brick barbecue on it! The latter is now leaning out into the garden. It would be possible by cutting along the edges where it has been used as foundations. But such a big job! I think this will ultimately be left for the next owner of this house.

All I want now is to get a washing line pole back up. I would not trust the various ground sockets that are available. I remember many years ago a neighbour had a rotary airer using one of these sockets. Gradually it moved and the airer 'leaned'. Maybe the socket was not set in concrete, I don't know. But the directions for these sockets say that they can be set in a lawn so that the airer can be removed for grass cutting. Which doesn't seem to subscribe to setting in concrete. Theory is great - but practice is usually very different.

As Dave worked in building and civil engineering, he knew very well the correct way of doing various things. When we had the shed built (by his work brickies), we laid the extended foundations. Dave borrowed a compactor plate machine from work for the hardcore, and mesh reinforcement was put in before we laid the concrete. I have just re-remembered another piece of equipment. In one back corner of the garden, under a tarpaulin, there is a concrete mixer. Not in the way as such, but probably never to be used again.

I had a telephone call yesterday from the last of Dave's pension companies. At last they have set up the annuity for me. A payment has been authorised, backdated to the first payment due after Dave died. Quite a small amount though. This was the smallest of Dave's pensions. But every bit helps. Once this is paid, I can get in touch with HMRC to sort out my tax. In the meantime, I am expecting another P2, as they said it had been paid tax free. Of course, the tax man will assume (like before) that I am going to receive this amount every month instead of realising that the amount will represent three months' payments.

I am hoping to get the beans planted out today. The tomatoes seem to be doing okay. The first trusses have appeared. The hedge is then the next big job. The line pole was a job I didn't expect and is, of course, a big job in itself.

I was looking at line poles online yesterday. They seem to say that they are 'guaranteed' for approximately 25 years. So mine has done well. It has been in use for nearly 50 years. I hate stuff that is given a shelf life. As far as I am concerned, I expect things to last forever. Buy once and you have it for life. Sadly we do seem to live in a throwaway society. I was well disappointed when my computer burnt out, likewise the lawn mower.

Oh well. The beans are calling.

Maisie
Akasya (24th June 2020), Harem (24th June 2020), jcrian (24th June 2020), tintagel (24th June 2020)
Old 24th June 2020, 14:42   #1333 (permalink)

Thanked 1,397 Times in 613 Posts
Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of Bramidan has much to be proud of

Maisie,
I have to ask you this, why do you need such a mammoth washing line when there is only you?
Surely there is a modern alternative.
Time to make your life easier!
Bramidan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bramidan For This Useful Post:
Harem (24th June 2020), Kalkan regular (24th June 2020), Kalkanite (24th June 2020), Maisie (24th June 2020), Tillyfloss (24th June 2020)
Old 24th June 2020, 17:34   #1334 (permalink)

It is what I have always been used to. Also, I don't like putting the washing machine on until I have enough washing to justify the electricity and water consumption. Also, the bedding takes up a lot of room on a line! Same applies to the dishwasher. I only do it when it is full. That seems to be about once a week or ten days. I wipe with kitchen roll and rinse off the dishes before they go into the machine.

Beans all done! Surprisingly, topping up the tubs took nearly the whole of one of the large bags of compost. There was enough left to repot one of the oleanders. It is really the wrong time of year, but they are both so pot bound and not enough compost to hold water. I need to open another bag of compost to do the second one. I am going to see if I can get a small bag to do this, as I don't have any other uses at the moment for the rest of a 50ltr bag. I don't want to open it just to take out a few shovelfuls. Or failing that, I might get some soil from the top of the garden. When plants have finished, died, or whatever, we have always emptied the pots in one particular spot. Originally it was a vegetable plot, but the trees grew so high and bushy the light got excluded. So we just used it to dump old soil and compost and at the moment various rubbish that has to go to the tip. Mark said the tip is open, but the queues take about two hours to get through! I am not going that route at the moment! Dave used to sieve this soil if we wanted to use it, but I am not that energetic!

I have finished for today so I am going to sit in the garden to get the last of the sun and read. If I liked it, I suppose this would be the time for a gin and tonic!

Maisie
Akasya (25th June 2020), jcrian (25th June 2020), tintagel (28th June 2020)
Old 25th June 2020, 11:24   #1335 (permalink)

Equiniti are mucking me about again!

Today I received a long letter dated 19th June, together with 'guidance' notes, telling me what to do when a death occurs! With this letter there is a form to complete. I was bit confused as to what information they want as the form is not clear. Do they want my details or Dave's? I would have thought that my letter sent with the forms and cheque were the next step towards completion. So I called them.

The bloody woman said that the Declaration and Indemnity forms I sent last week, with a cheque and Dave's death certificate, have not been received. But, as I pointed out to her, they must have received them because the cheque has been cashed! No answer to that, other than she said it was still 'early days'!

She said she had no record of them having received this package of forms etc., nor any record of the conversation I had with them when the guy told me to download the forms for a Small Estates procedure and send them with a cheque! Great eh? So how come they have cashed the cheque! She then back tracked and said that cheques are always banked as soon as received and nothing will happen until it clears. It cleared through my account today. So why have I received this stuff today? She doesn't know the answer to that one. She said to wait until I hear from the Small Estates team and ignore the stuff I got today. Then we got cut off. Bloody marvellous!

I am not ringing back, I will wait to see if I get anything from their Small Estates team. This is a nightmare. I thought this was settled with the completed forms and the shares could be transferred, but now it seems it is not settled. How fortunate that the values involved are small. If the value had been higher, then I would have had apply for and wait for Probate. I told her quite categorically, they would not be getting a copy of this. Basically because I haven't applied for it yet as HMRC have told me I don't have to, and in any case, this document is not required for their Small Estates procedure.

Didn't someone on here tell me that Equiniti are a pain to deal with? It seemed so easy after downloading, completing and sending off the various forms. I suggested to her that there are two separate parts of their organisation who are dealing with me over this. She didn't agree. It seems that I know more about this than she does!

Maisie
Akasya (25th June 2020), Harem (25th June 2020), jcrian (25th June 2020), tintagel (28th June 2020)
Old 25th June 2020, 14:46   #1336 (permalink)
Galaxy Girl

Galaxy Girl will become famous soon enough

I am currently dealing with Equinity as part of my dad's estate. In the first instance I sent them a letter notifying them of dad's death and I enclosed a copy of his death certificate which they later returned to me.

I understand from the responses I've received from them that I must wait until probate has been granted and then send them a sealed office copy of the Grant of Representation and a Share Transfer Form for each of the companies whose shares my dad held (fortunately dad sold his shares of all but one company before he died). There has been no mention of there being a cost to transfer the shares, the value of which is well under the 10,000 small estate limit.

As you are not applying for Grant of Representation it looks as though the way forward with Equinity is a bit more complicated, although appearing relatively simple when written on paper — once you've got your head around all the jargon!!.

It is my understanding from the letter I received from Equinity, that all mailings are to be in the name of the deceased until the shares are transferred or sold, so it will be Dave's details they want rather than your own.

Good luck Maisie and Keep smiling!

PS: I hope you have more success with your beans ... the local snails had a midnight feast and reduced mine to 3 inch stumps!!
Galaxy Girl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galaxy Girl For This Useful Post:
Akasya (25th June 2020), Harem (26th June 2020), Maisie (25th June 2020), tintagel (28th June 2020)
Old 25th June 2020, 15:24   #1337 (permalink)

If what they have told me is anything to go by, you don't need to wait for probate if the shares are below their threshold of 10,000. You need to tell them that you want the forms for their Small Estate procedure. Not the 'normal' ones for shares with a value over the threshold.

The chap I spoke with initially told me where to find the forms for each company to download them. This I did. During the conversation he asked me what was going to happen to the shares. I said they are going to be transferred to me, and he said that the cost for transferring would be 114 for the three companies involved. As one lot is only worth about 60, he said they would transfer that for free. Send a cheque with the forms. I did. One is simple, it is Barclays. I already have my own Barclays account, so he said they would just transfer these to my account. But I still had to complete the forms for all three companies. It is these forms that the woman said they had not received. But as they had cashed the cheque, of course they had them!

The forms for the transfer contain the information that there is a fee for transferring. It doesn't say how much, but asks that you send the correct fee. I was told this amount as I was speaking with them. I would suggest that you speak to them again about this to get the right form, and they can tell you how much they want.

The details form: apparently it is my details they want, as I will be the recipient of the shares and they want to know where to send any dividend payments. But like I said, she said to ignore this letter as if(?) they have got these forms, the relevant teams will contact me. So wait.

I have liberally sprinkled slug killer granules all around the beans. Fingers crossed!

Maisie
Akasya (28th June 2020), Harem (26th June 2020), tintagel (28th June 2020)
Old 28th June 2020, 09:20   #1338 (permalink)

My beans seem to be dying! I have never seen this before. Normally, once planted out, they really take off. But this time, they seem to be withering. The leaves have gone limp and are losing their colour.

According to a spike thing I have, the soil is moist, which is as it should be. It has been quite windy since I planted them, so maybe this is why. I have pushed another bean in next to each one. Probably too late in the season now, but I am hoping. Both of us really liked french beans, and once they were growing well, used to have them with most meals with some melted butter. Oh well, just have to wait and see now.

We have had a fair bit of rain over the last couple of days and the grass is looking quite good. Greening up well. Although it still has the clumps. Can't deal with this until the autumn. The tomatoes are racing away now. At least something is going right.

I haven't been out now for over a week. I will have to go out this week to collect some repeat medication, but this is for the end of the week. The weather forecast is not too good, but probably normal for this time of the year. I do remember that over the years we have exclaimed 'flaming June' many times. I think we have been lulled into a sense of 'the summer is now here' after a couple of weeks of good sunshine and hot temperatures.

For the last few days I have been having trouble with my left hip and leg. So painful! Paracetamol doesn't touch it, but I won't take co-codamol bearing in mind I ended up in hospital earlier in the year through taking these, at my GP's instructions I might add! It is very difficult to get comfortable. Not only in bed, but sitting also. Some nights I have still been awake at 3am. It makes me so tired the next day. Of course, I have missed quite a few injections now, which is not helping. My GP is not convinced that I have sciatica as well as osteoarthritis, but I have all the symptoms. I have virtually lost all feeling in my foot, and this is creeping up now to my knee. I have noticed that this is also starting to affect my right foot. I also still get terrible cramps in my legs. Screaming bad sometimes. The pain is dreadful. More like spasms of the muscles rather than cramp. Tendons in my feet and behind my knees stand out like wire hawsers. It bends my feet inwards until it relaxes. I take quinine, but I regard this as useless. A few years ago I attended almost every department in the hospital that ends in 'ology', but no-one could pin down why this happens. Basically, after head scratching and teeth sucking, I was just left to get on with it!

One of the GPs from the surgery called me last week, ostensibly to see if I am okay. I told her about my leg, and she said that if this is nerve damage caused by being diabetic, there is medication they can subscribe. I really can't see that any pills or potions are going to get the feeling back. I have been suffering with this for many years, long before they decided that I was diabetic! She asked me about sugar levels. I explained to her, as I am not on insulin, they apparently cannot prescribe the sticks for my blood machine. I can't afford to keep buying them, so basically, I don't test. Catch 22. If they want regular tests, then they should provide me with the equipment to do it. She said that I need a blood test. Yes, I know, but how when I can't get to the surgery or testing station? She said that according to their records, I am due a diabetic review anyway. It seems I am on 'the list' and will be called eventually. I have just done a test. It is 8.7, which is about average looking at the previous readings. I ran out of the pills two days ago. According to the re-ordering website, I have a box of these - somewhere. But I can't find them. Strange, as I keep all my medication in a box in the bedroom. I never put them anywhere else. I rang the surgery and they have put out a prescription for these, but I can't get them until later in the week. No urgency there then! So I expect that my readings will go up until I can get these. I will test a few times until then so I have something to show them when I do get there for a review.

I still haven't replaced all the books. I have done most of them. Just a few each day, and I will get there eventually. In actual fact, I have found that I have a lot of duplicates. I have a list of sorts that I keep in my bag, but I must have bought some of these without reference to the list. I have put these out for Juliet. I don't know if she will want them, but if not I am sure they will know someone they can give them to. At the risk of sounding like Billy-no-mates, I don't know anyone I could give them to. I could ask the girl who lives opposite, but I don't know if she is into recipe books. I have hundreds, literally! They are 'feel-good' books. I like reading them. Most are no good now, as the recipes are for more than one person. Some recipes can be divided, but most cannot. I do have some books that are for singles, but most are not.

Today, although the sun is shining, it is very windy. Not the time for being out in the garden. I will do a few more books today, and that is it. I have made sweet and sour chicken with flavoured rice for my dinner tonight, so I think I will just do very little today.

Maisie
Akasya (28th June 2020), Harem (28th June 2020), jcrian (28th June 2020), tintagel (28th June 2020)
Old 30th June 2020, 13:46   #1339 (permalink)

The tax man is off again!

I have received payment from Dave's final pension company. Needless to say, as expected I have received a fourth P2 with yet another code number.

Once again I tried to log in to my account on Gateway. Again, they have decided they cannot identify me! Probably because I can't remember precisely the answers to their damn fool questions about how many years ago I opened a credit card account, a bank account, a credit with a mail order company, etc.etc. How the hell do they expect me to remember all this? When I originally registered with this site, they asked various questions, which I answered. I obviously kept a note of these. Guess what? They didn't want any of these answers!

So I thought I will telephone them. After jumping through many verbal hoops, they decided that they had too many calls to deal with, so try again later! I could spit!

They suggested I tried their online chat. Okay, sounds good. I typed in my reason for wanting to 'chat' with them, and I am now waiting. Apparently I am number 51 in the queue. The latest P2 has an email address on it. Again, guess what? This doesn't work. Unrecognisable!

And we pay these people for this "service"?

Maisie
Akasya (30th June 2020), tintagel (30th June 2020)
Old 30th June 2020, 13:55   #1340 (permalink)

I just got to number one. They asked - again - what I wanted, so I told them. Then I got a message saying I had been disconnected! They are now trying to "re-connect me".

What a bloody shambles!

Maisie
Akasya (30th June 2020)

Tags
bolshie , husband