Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 1st August 2020, 10:46   #1371 (permalink)

Thanked 6,481 Times in 2,204 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Bolshie Husband

Well, the temperature is at 86 and rising! No way will the hedge get done today. Unless there is a sudden change. What I can do though is clean out the sprayer ready and put it in one of the sheds so it doesn't get dirty again.

I watered the tomatoes and other plants at about eight o'clock, and the heat was very noticeable. The thoughts of wrapping up my head and face certainly does not appeal in the heat. The instructions do not say too much about protection, other than to say not to inhale the spray. Depending on how this is applied, this could be difficult. On the shed side, I cannot get very far away from the end of the sprayer. Hence the protection. I have got a gadget on the end of the lance that looks like a funnel, which is supposed to contain the spread if it is windy. Don't know whether it works - too long ago since I used it. Protection will be quite easy now, as I have got in supplies of different designs and colours face masks and big plastic eye shields. I also have some masks with removable eye shields. I got these when the information came out that it is possible to catch this virus through your eyes.

Anyway, I have decided that I cannot be too inactive today, so I am going to defrost the top box on my fridge. It is getting silly again. I have noticed that although the food items in this box are well away from the door to start with, as the ice builds up inside, the food all gets pushed forward until the door won't shut properly. Whenever I do this job, I end up chucking things away that have been forgotten, so I do end up with a bit more room. But that does not detract from the fact that it is a bit of a chore. I normally use a hair dryer to thaw the ice, but I have bought some de-icing spray so I will give that a go first.

The very front of the box stays reasonably ice free since I decided to try something. I wiped all round the flat surfaces at the front with a tissue dipped in cooking oil. It does work, although some ice appears. This is quite easy to chip off as it is sitting on the oil.

I need to get to a big tub in the shed now to put the food in. That is going to be a little difficult as I put all the plastic crates in there and they are in the way. I could use one of the crates, but they still smell a bit of moth balls. I have got the bicarbonate of soda now, so perhaps I will clean one out first. Mark has just 'phoned to say he is going shopping, so I need that top box a bit more empty than it is now.

Then, if the sunny weather continues this afternoon, I will sit outside and read.

Maisie
Akasya (1st August 2020), Harem (1st August 2020), jcrian (2nd August 2020)
Old 1st August 2020, 14:00   #1372 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Fridge done, although with a bit of a scare. I used two of the crates which, when I got them out of the shed, did not seem to be smelling of the mothballs. Good!

The de-icer spray worked much better than a hair dryer, and much less messy. Less to mop up after. I did not find much to throw away, so most of it has gone back in. Then the problem. The fridge did not switch back on. Horrors! I kept checking, but it took nearly an hour before it came on. I seem to remember it did this once before, so after that instead of switching it off completely, I just turned it down to the minimum. I forgot today and turned the knob inside the fridge until it clicked off. Obviously a mistake. A repair man told me once that the setting knob inside the fridge determines the degree of 'cold' in the top box. I was quite surprised at this, as I thought it was just on when the fridge was on. Anyway it's done now, Mark has been with my shopping and it is all put away.

I have just taken delivery of a buddleia, so I have to sort that out now. Then - sit down and read! The sun has clouded over a bit now, but it is still very hot, last time I looked it was hovering at 88 degrees.

Maisie
Akasya (3rd August 2020), Harem (2nd August 2020), jcrian (2nd August 2020)
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:15   #1373 (permalink)

The hedge is still going to have to wait! I got the sprayer, cleaned it out and it doesn't work. I don't know if the washers are shot, they look okay. But it will not pump.

I investigated buying a new lance (that won't turn on either) and new washers, but the cost was more than buying a new sprayer. So I have bought one on eBay. Should be here Thursday or Friday, so that should be okay.

In any case, I am suffering today. My hip has started off again. I have had a few weeks with nothing, but this morning it has hit me again. Makes walking and even sitting very painful. The pills are not doing anything - as usual. Hopefully it will be gone after a few days.

The temperature is again in the 80s, so not really conducive to getting wrapped up anyway. If it is like this later in the week, when I have got the sprayer, I will just have to bite the bullet and do it.

I think I will get my umbrella out and sit in the garden and read. I have bought the book A Suitable Boy, although I am watching the serial on BBC. It is a big book! 1,474 pages, so it will take some reading.

Maisie
Akasya (3rd August 2020), Harem (3rd August 2020), jcrian (Yesterday), Jenny and Chris (3rd August 2020), shash (3rd August 2020), Tillyfloss (3rd August 2020)
Old Yesterday, 08:08   #1374 (permalink)

With considerable difficulty, I managed to get the ladder down yesterday and got into the loft. I was only after the tower fan, but found a few other bits and pieces. Including some thin summer trousers I had put away when I put on weight. Now I have lost the weight, they will fit me again. Yay!! Mark will go ballistic when he finds out I have been up into the loft. He keeps giving me warnings about falling, etc. when there is no-one here. But what else can I do?

It was nice to have the fan going last night, but I only managed to get about an hour and a half's sleep. The pain in my hip makes it impossible to get comfortable. I have a huge pillow that I rest my leg on plus a cage to hold the bedclothes up, but when the pain is this bad, nothing helps. Dave did buy me a special shaped leg rest. We took pictures of the ones they use in hospital when you have a scan and we found an upholsterer to make it for me. It is okay, but I cannot move when this is under my knees. Of course, the injections would probably help but I can't get these the moment because of the virus effect on the GP's surgery. Too many of the pills was what landed me in hospital in February, so I will just have to put up with it for now. If this continues, then I will get so tired I will eventually zonk out anyway.

I have been so active all my life and to end up like this is devastating. I have never subscribed to exercise as such, just doing what I want to do has been enough. I do find it difficult to sit still, more so now. Dave used to say that I made him tired just watching me flitting about! It is so disappointing when I think back to my 'youth'. I was very into athletics when I was at school. In fact, I represented the county at the All England School Athletics competition way back in 1960! Those were the days! I was aiming for the Olympics of 1964, but life got in the way.

By way of a small anecdote. I think it was 1960, I went with the school to Wembley to watch the schoolboy 'cup final'. As bad luck (for me) would have it, after lighting up a cigarette, I got a tap on the shoulder, with a voice telling me that I would 'have to pack that up' in September when I was back in training. It was my bloody trainer sitting there. Out of the whole stadium, he had to be there didn't he?

I don't know whether all the training and competitions then have contributed to the problems with my hips. But it does seem likely to have contributed to 'wear and tear'. Although I never had anything worse than a badly pulled hamstring muscle when my trainer was trying to teach me to do a hitch kick. I never tried that again! I went everywhere by bike and it was so easy then. Of course, I do still have the bike but I don't think I could get to the end of the road now!

Actually, I think I have said before, Dave bought me a mountain bike. He already had one and decided that I should have one also. The shop was about three miles away, and we went there in the car. I rode the bike home. Dave drove along behind or just in front of me until I got to our High Street, which is pedestrian. I got off and pushed the bike through to the other side where I could get back on again. Boy, was I glad to see our house. I got off the bike and only just managed not to collapse. My legs were like two rubber bands! Along the way I was trying the many gears, but I just couldn't get the hang of them. My original bike only had three gears, so selection was easy. Anyway, the bike went into the shed and has only come out since when Dave decided that both bikes needed the tyres pumped up. I think it would kill me now. I used to tell Dave that I have enough trouble with cramp for no reason, without compounding the problem with bike riding! Shame though. It is a smashing bike - bright purple. Appropriate now as I am old! I must say though, that it is only the problems with my hips and the cramp that affects me on any sort of regular basis. This apart, I feel very much as I did twenty or so years ago. My head tells me I am okay, but my body lets me down. Whenever I do anything remotely physical, like mowing the grass, I know that I am going to suffer later for the unaccustomed exercise.

I suppose a lot of people come to this, but knowing this doesn't help. I feel so frustrated that I cannot do what I want when I want. Mark tells me (all the time) to 'remember your age'. I don't want to hear that, and sometimes I could slap him! Currently he is on a mission to get me to get an outside key box in case of emergencies. He and Juliet both have keys, but that is not a lot of use if they are at work with their mobiles turned off and I fall out of the pear tree! Always assuming I have my 'phone on me, which is not a given. I have already agreed not to put the alarm on and double lock the front door when I go to bed so that they could get in if needed.

Actually, I did sort of fall out of the pear tree a few years back. I had a ladder up the tree and was pruning. Gradually, I felt that I was moving away from the tree. What was happening was that one leg of the ladder started to dig into the ground. Eventually, it threw me off sideways straight onto a metal patio set. I actually broke one of the chairs! I only got a few bruises. I have been very careful since to make sure that the ladder could not slip. Dave made a sort of platform for the bottom. A large piece of blockboard with six inch nails through it to dig into the ground. On the top he made a three sided sort of box that the ladder sat in. It worked very well. I don't know where that is now. I haven't seen it for years.

I am not planning anything for today. It is again very warm out in the garden. The weather forecast is not saying anything about it giving up. Rain in the north, but missing us here in the south. I have watered the tomatoes and the beans (there are nine beans now) and the flower tubs. I am getting very annoyed now that I cannot hang out my washing. Mark said he will work something out, but that is as far as he has gone. If he doesn't hurry up, I will do it myself, a painful hip notwithstanding.

Actually, I have just remembered: I have not put the stuff back in the garage after the gas man called. So perhaps I will have a go at that today. Both feet on the ground!

Maisie

Last edited by Maisie; Yesterday at 08:12..
Maisie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maisie For This Useful Post:
Akasya (Yesterday), evo80 (Yesterday), Harem (Yesterday), Jaycey (Yesterday), jcrian (Yesterday), Tillyfloss (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:41   #1375 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 32,890 Times in 15,380 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoy your missives Maisie , such a varied life , you deserve a medal for your indefatigable attitudes to life and its trials and tribulations , keep on keeping on .

Take great care of yourself

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
enoch (Yesterday), evo80 (Yesterday), Harem (Yesterday), Jaycey (Yesterday), Maisie (Yesterday), Tillyfloss (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:58   #1376 (permalink)

Thanked 3,329 Times in 2,092 Posts
evo80 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasya View Post
I really enjoy your missives Maisie , such a varied life , you deserve a medal for your indefatigable attitudes to life and its trials and tribulations , keep on keeping on .

Take great care of yourself

Steve
Yes I look foreword to Maisie's posts.She is amazing .
About 2 months ago I had proper AC fitted in 3 rooms .Cost a bomb but what a diff it has made to life in the heat we have been having .Maisie I can pass on details of the excellent fitters if needed .Took them 3 hours from start to finish ( in each room ,5 years warranty parts and labour inc ) and no mess left .

Last edited by evo80; Yesterday at 10:00..
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evo80 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (Yesterday), Maisie (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:28   #1377 (permalink)

Well, thanks for that. But I think I will manage with portable fans. I left the big one (on a stand) in the loft. I didn't want to stay up there too long as it was as hot as Hades! I was dripping when I came down.

I really think that the cost of AC would be prohibitive - even if they could get round. This house is like an obstacle course. I am used to it, but it does strike people as rather odd! A chap I used to work with came here once as I had bought a microwave from him. He said he was intrigued with the house. Like walking into an Aladdin's cave. My neighbour from opposite said she loves coming in here as she always sees things she hadn't noticed before.

I nearly had apoplexy when the gas man said he needed to get into the loft. I told him he was on a hiding to nothing and I suggested that he shut the water off in the road instead. He said he could do this as a last resort, but he had a look and decided he could get up there by using his own ladder. Because of the clutter (mainly shoe boxes with stuff on top) there wasn't room to bring the ladder down out of the loft hatch. Actually, he managed it quite well under the circumstances. I got the ladder yesterday by moving the boxes out of the way. Where there is a will, and all that.

This is a big house and consequently all the bills are also big. Of course, all the stuff acts as insulation! I have had people insisting they can get into the loft to increase the insulation up there. I don't want this. They just don't realise. We have what was the maximum fibreglass recommended at the time, and we then close boarded the floor. We had a new roof put on the year after we moved in, so that is quite okay (apart from the now discovered hole). We always notice that when the snow starts to melt on the roofs, ours is always the last house in the road with snow on it. In the winter, when it is very cold, although it is obviously colder in the loft than the house, it is not bad. I can stay up there looking for things, or moving stuff, etc. Alright, I know there is a lot that can be got rid of. I just need motivating to do it. Mark went through the clothes on the various rails up there once and sold some of my clothes on eBay for me. He also took some of Dave's clothes which are now fast approaching being vintage! There are a lot more now. There is even furniture up there. Off the top of my head, there is an extending table with two long benches, a chest of drawers, a wardrobe, a chair that converts into a bed, suitcases, my old Tandy computer setup and even a full set of golf clubs on a wheeled cart! I noticed yesterday that there were several boxes with hi-fi equipment in them, which belong to Mark. Even if he took them, it would be a drop in the ocean. It is easier to do what I want, come down and shut the hatch!

I haven't been out to the garage yet, I have been doing other things. But I had better make a start if I want to get it done today.

Maisie
Harem (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:33   #1378 (permalink)

My car insurance runs out on 31st August. I spent the morning searching about for quotes. The RAC wouldn't quote (car too old?), and the updates on prices I got last month were ridiculous. The cheapest I could find was 264+. I haven't had a renewal quote from my current insurer, so I rang them. They came up with 120.60. So I have renewed with them. What a difference!

Maisie
Harem (Yesterday), shash (Yesterday)

Tags
bolshie , husband