Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 28th June 2019, 13:03   #211 (permalink)

Thanked 7,898 Times in 3,425 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Bolshie Husband

I say again, this is as much about ATTITUDE as it is about money.

PS found this article which is also interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...o=taboola_feed

Worrying is a waste of imagination.

Last edited by Kanga; 28th June 2019 at 13:07.. Reason: add PS
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (28th June 2019), Maisie (29th June 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 29th June 2019, 08:47   #212 (permalink)

Thanked 6,413 Times in 2,183 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Quite an interesting article. Thanks for that.

Dave seemed a bit brighter yesterday. He said a doctor plus two followers had seen him. It is a teaching hospital, so students often accompany doctors on their rounds. The doctor told Dave that they now think he has an infection. Apparently he did name it, but Dave didn't catch it, and Dave being Dave, he did not ask him to repeat it or write it down. It seems that about 3% of the population have this infection. I will see if I can find out today what this infection is. However, they must be treating this as serious because the door to his room must be kept shut and there are quite rigorous instructions in place reference anyone entering.

Dave was given a leaflet about an enzyme deficiency. The leaflet says that the pancreas not only produces insulin (which in Dave's case it doesn't) but also an enzyme. Reading the effects of a deficiency, it looks as though they might have hit on something. Although Dave has had some of the things it mentions for many years with no treatment. This leaflet has a page on which the doctor/dietician has written that he must now take more pills! Enzyme replacements. Two with each meal, 1 with any snack (even one biscuit) and 1 with any milky drink that contains over 50% milk.

I can see this going awry because these tablets are in his cupboard in the locked section with the rest of his meds. I did speak to one of the nurses there to ask how they intend to deal with this. Dave cannot wait until his meal is there to ring for the nurse to get him the tablets. Judging by the average time they take to respond to the buzzer, his meal will be cold before they turn up. These pills have to be taken before eating or drinking. She said that they would have to get a "regime" started. It would be marvellous if lack of this enzyme proved to be the problem. However, I am not holding my breath.

A physio came in and got Dave out of bed to walk with a zimmer. I was gobsmacked. He got out of bed and onto his feet with very little assistance. He then proceeded to walk about four steps. Very small steps, but steps nevertheless. She then sat him in his chair, saying to stay there until after his dinner, so long as he felt he could be comfortable. He has this special cushion that I have been trying to find on the internet with no success yet. The cushion has a thinnish cover of what looks like uPVC. Inside there is a thick layer of memory foam and bonded to it is another layer of a softer foam cut into squares. Like a mango. It is very heavy. I bought a wheelchair cushion but it is not the same. I will have to ask the physio if they can get us one. She has already said she will see if they can order a narrower zimmer for Dave's use at home.

It also transpires that Dave had porridge for breakfast, cottage pie for lunch with an ice cream after, and had ordered (probably cottage pie again) for his dinner. That is 100% more than I could get him to eat when he was home. The most he ate was on Wednesday when he asked for beans on toast. He ate one mouthful of the toast and about five beans!

Despite telling so many people, the bedsore remains bare without a dressing. Yesterday I had two Cavilon sprays delivered. I will take one of them with me today. It provides a barrier over the sore. Should be followed by a dressing, like the ones delivered here. I don't think I will take one of them in case they get the ache. But if Dave still does not have a dressing on his bum, I am going to moan.

One of the nurses came in to change Dave. She was talking to me about the care. She said that I should accept the carers coming in. I tried to explain that there wasn't much they could do and she said they could "help" with some housework, or take the bin out, etc.etc. They could also wash Dave and get him dressed. Whilst I can see what she is saying, I cannot see any point to this. Particularly as they said this would only be for two weeks, then we would have to pay. They must think I came down with yesterday's rain if they think I am going to pay someone to empty my pedal bin! As for washing and dressing, this would not be necessary if Dave can stand and walk a little before they discharge him this time.

When Dave first went in, he needed a shave. Seven weeks saw quite a growth. Mark and I rather like it. It looks quite distinguished as there are two sections of grey, one on each side. But he still wants it gone. Mark has some sort of shaver (he has a beard) that he uses. Rather like the hair cutter that you can select the depth of cut. Mark says he will take this to Dave to get the majority of the beard off, so he can then have a wet shave, which he much prefers. He never took to electric razors, saying that it did not feel the same after using an electric shaver. I think this has a lot to do with a feeling of having washed, but there are some you can get which you can use with water. I will investigate this.

So Dave appears to be sort of on the mend. Although I do wonder whether this has anything to do with psychologically knowing he is in the place where they can "cure" him. Only time will tell. Perhaps after the weekend Dave can ask how long they think he will have to be there this time. I think they have given up trying to stabilise his blood sugar. A nurse was doing a test when I got there yesterday. It was a bit high. Hardly surprising after porridge and cottage pie! A few minutes later a nurse came in to give him an injection.

I am off to the high street now. I want to get some sugar free drinks to take in this afternoon.

Maisie
Akasya (29th June 2019), esb1841 (30th June 2019), Harem (29th June 2019), Hilsjw (30th June 2019), Kalkanite (29th June 2019), Mojive (29th June 2019), shash (29th June 2019), Tillyfloss (2nd July 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 29th June 2019, 09:01   #213 (permalink)

Thanked 7,898 Times in 3,425 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

So good to hear some positive results, it must be a relief for you..

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (29th June 2019), Maisie (30th June 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 29th June 2019, 10:40   #214 (permalink)

Thanked 4,024 Times in 2,239 Posts
esb1841 has disabled reputation

Good to hear some postive news from you but I will caution you and Dave

Don't try to run before you can walk

If the constant diarrhea has stopped it will take 4-6 weeks before his leg and upper upper torso gain the necessary fat and muscle so he can support his body weight when it comes to mobility, he may have a couple of bad days at home when he comes out doesn't or is unable to get out of bed and your back to square one.
fortunately so far when he has fallen over he has been luckly and hasn't dislocated or fractured any bones or joints.
Hopefully where he is he will received physio 4 or 5 hours a week

As for SS telling you care is only for the 1st 2 weeks and then you have to pay
Tell them your MP and your Hospital says they are telling porkies pies
I think you will find its unlikely that SS will write to your MP and advise him/her they are incorrect as this is what the NHS states

f you or someone you know has been in hospital or had an illness or fall, you may need temporary care to help you get back to normal and stay independent.

This temporary care is called intermediate care, reablement or aftercare.

Most people receive this type of care for around 1 or 2 weeks, although it can be free for a maximum of 6 weeks. It will depend on how soon you are able to cope at home.

If you need care for longer than 6 weeks, you'll have to pay for it.

Hospital staff should arrange care before you leave hospital.

Speak to the person in charge of you going home (discharge co-ordinator) to make sure this happens.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social...ge-reablement/

My experience of carers wasn't great but remember 6 weeks is free and you and Dave have already paid for it ( Taxes)

It will give you the chance to shop without worrying about is Dave going to try and get out of bed without his zimmer frame or go to the hairdresser's and get your hair done, Help with washing the clothes or anything that your unable to do while you take care of Dave.
esb1841 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to esb1841 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (29th June 2019), Maisie (30th June 2019), Tillyfloss (2nd July 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 29th June 2019, 12:42   #215 (permalink)
Been there,done that!!

Thanked 8,429 Times in 4,431 Posts
Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute Mojive has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quickie as off out the cushion your talking about although hopefully you will be given one, but just in case think your talking about the reflect Pressure care cushins, you can buy on internet, but hopefully as i said you will be given one,we used them in the care home.
Mo xx
Akasya (29th June 2019), Maisie (30th June 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 29th June 2019, 13:00   #216 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 32,714 Times in 15,302 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Maisie please be very careful , some of the Cavillon barrier sprays must not be used on broken skin , doing so becomes very painful , so please be a nuisance and ask to read the leaflet that comes with it .

The 3m Cavillon for broken skin is labelled " no sting "

Best of

Steve

Last edited by Akasya; 29th June 2019 at 13:04..
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
esb1841 (30th June 2019)
Old 30th June 2019, 09:22   #217 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

The Cavilon I have is labelled No Sting Barrier Film, so I guess this is okay. Particularly in view of the fact that his bedsore has not been dealt with since he got there. He went in Thursday, so Saturday was three days with no attention. I will take the spray in today. Must be better than nothing.

They say two steps forward and three back. Yesterday Dave looked awful. He was curled up in bed with terrible stomach pains. He says they woke him at 7.00am with breakfast and two of the new pills. He couldn't eat because of the pain. They fixed him up (eventually - at about 11.30am) with a paracetamol drip. It was finished when I got there. He said it did start to lessen the pain, but since running out, the pain had intensified. He was by this time rolling around the bed in pain, clutching his lower belly.

I went and found the Sister and moaned. She came in and took the empty bottle off the stand and disconnected the cannula. She said she would inform the doctor that he still had pain. One and a quarter hours later I went in search of the Sister again. She checked the computer and said that the doctor had prescribed morphine. Why did I have to pester her before she decided to look?

She then came in the the oral morphine. I asked her that, as he had not been examined, could he possibly have appendicitis? She got her gloves on and examined Dave's tummy. The pain is in the lower left quadrant. She said it was not appendicitis. Okay - what about diverticulitis? Pain on the wrong side. So, whatever the cause is, no-one knows or is prepared to do a proper examination to find out. Just before I left, Dave asked me to see if they would give him sleeping pills. I asked. No, because it was "daytime". However, they said they would give him another dose of morphine when the hour was up (about 15 minutes more at this time) and they would give him zopiclone at bedtime. Whilst I was there, Dave did manage to do a wee into the bottle, but he had to sit on the side of the bed with his legs down. He said that it made the pain worse, but it couldn't be helped.

So that was the particularly unsatisfactory state of affairs yesterday. I would have stayed longer, but Dave said to go. He said that if necessary, he would keep using the buzzer to summon someone.

Maisie
Akasya (2nd July 2019), esb1841 (30th June 2019), Hilsjw (1st July 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 30th June 2019, 12:51   #218 (permalink)

Thanked 11,379 Times in 4,595 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Maisie, I know it's a pain but it would be much better if you press the staff to provide treatment for the 'Bed-sore', Dave may have an allergic reaction to the product you've purchased. I would also take (as they should have!) a photo of the affected area, you could then compare it with the photo of the sore taken days ago at your home.

They must investigate Why Dave is in so much pain, (Urine test Urgent), giving him some pain relief which only takes the edge off it for limited periods of time, is Not cutting it!! Persistent stomach pain & diarrhoea needs Urgent Attention!

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...abdominal-pain

This beggars belief! Here is Dave back in hospital & still Not getting the medical help he needs, he's probably in worse shape now than before they discharged him without a care plan or following procedures! Still the Hospital are Not providing a adequate (never mind, good or outstanding) level of care, their communication is crap & their feed-back almost non-existent!

I can only hope that the whole of this hospital isn't being managed as badly! Makes me think that their PALS office will be well versed in the necessary Protocols to get the ball rolling to ensure Dave is not left in agony, bedsores untreated, just wasting away from the Acute Malnutrition & medical neglect...

Please visit the PALS office tomorrow Maisie, we can only offer virtual advice & support, PALs are there in the Hospital & can really help you get the medical help & support that Dave & Every Patient deserves from them.

Best wishes xx

If it's Too Big to Fail, its Too Big to Exist
tintagel is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tintagel For This Useful Post:
Akasya (2nd July 2019), Hilsjw (1st July 2019), Maisie (30th June 2019)
Old 30th June 2019, 15:27   #219 (permalink)
The Golden Girls

Thanked 1,981 Times in 765 Posts
Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute Kalkan regular has a reputation beyond repute

My dad had similar pain and it was a perforation in the stomach wall and peritonitis and was given morphine to deaden the pain. It really isn’t good enough to prescribe morphine with no diagnosis. Pain is telling you there is something wrong.
Akasya (2nd July 2019), Kalkanite (30th June 2019), Maisie (30th June 2019), spanabridge (30th June 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)
Old 30th June 2019, 17:44   #220 (permalink)

The pain went overnight. Dave says that a doctor came in this morning (a bit late I feel) and examined him, then sent him for x-ray. I asked for the result but was told I would have to see a doctor to read the file. Well that's out on a Sunday afternoon! I expect there is a doctor about somewhere, but certainly not handy. But I think if they had found anything nasty, he would have known about it. Although it would be a good idea to tell him they found nothing.

Dave ate some breakfast today. He asked to get out of bed with the zimmer to go to the toilet. The room is so small I doubt whether more than four steps would be needed to get him there. But it now seems there is another problem! They are fretting because his sugar levels are low! He says they didn't give him insulin this morning, so we don't know why it is low. He then had an all day breakfast for lunch. He says the sausage was so hard if it fell on someone's foot it would break bones. The bacon, tomatoes and hash brown were okay. He says they are giving him the "new" enzyme pills. When he wanted the toilet this morning, they made him have a bedpan because of his low sugar.

He asked me to see if they would let him have a commode. I didn't bother asking for permission, just asked for the commode. It came the fastest I have ever seen. I helped him to get his legs down on the floor, and he seemed to be bearing his weight a bit better. After the commode, I sprayed the Cavilon on the bedsore. Although it is not supposed to, he said it felt easier to sit on. I have got pictures of the sore taken at home. I will take a picture tomorrow.

He seemed a bit more upbeat today. When he asked to go to the toilet, the nurse said that he would have to ask the physio woman tomorrow if it is okay, with help. They said that this afternoon, they would only let him have the commode if I helped him. He didn't need much helping, but I can see their point. If they let him go off to the toilet and he fell, they would be blamed. He said he didn't mind as he could have the commode now.

They were moaning about his blood pressure this afternoon. Very low. They said to drink two glasses of water and they would try again. He drank the water, but they hadn't come back by the time I left.

If he has his way, he will be sitting in his chair when I get there tomorrow. Hope he is right.

Maisie
Hilsjw (1st July 2019), tintagel (30th June 2019)

Tags
bolshie , husband