Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 13th August 2019, 13:48   #371 (permalink)

Thanked 10,816 Times in 4,337 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Bolshie Husband

Sorry to read things haven't got any better for Dave, Maisie.

Have you (Dave) sought or been given a 'review' as stated in the below advice?

"Discharge from hospital

You should not be discharged from hospital until your care needs are assessed and arrangements made to ensure that you will receive any necessary services when you are discharged.

Any assessment should take into account your wishes, the wishes of your family and of any carer. You should be kept fully informed and involved, be given sufficient time to make decisions, and be told how to seek a review of any decisions made. You can ask for a reassessment of your needs if circumstances change in the future."

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...re-in-hospital

You mentioned in a recent post that staff took a Water sample from Dave, I've wondered what the results were, has the hospital updated you on it?

Is the PALS office still closed Maisie?

Best wishes.
Old 14th August 2019, 09:52   #372 (permalink)

Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,780 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the urine test was negative. However, they took a stool sample day before yesterday and it is positive again for C.Diff. So yesterday they moved him back into a single room so that he can be isolated. He is back in the room they moved him from a couple of days ago. Whilst Dave is not very happy that he can’t come home today, he is much happier in the single room. Don't know about PALS, the sign is still covered up.

Three times on the trot he had to be changed just before they moved him. A man came in to talk to Dave before he was moved. He said he was from Gastroenterology, and came to explain about the C.Diff. He said that as from the evening, Dave would be back on Metronidazole, but this time orally instead of through a cannula. He took the point that we are making a Catch 22 situation. Antibiotics for, say, a urine infection kills some of the good bacteria in the gut which allows the C.Diff. to take hold again. So this is then treated with antibiotics and the whole circle starts again.

We also talked with this man about the fact that they had stopped the meal replacement drinks, and that the Dietician recommended drinking litres of milk instead. He was rather puzzled (as we were at the time) because too much milk can cause diarrhoea. He said that when he left us, he was going to go and investigate. He also said that he would get the Dietician in to see us again.

Dave asked and this chap said that he would need at least a couple of days more in hospital to see if this Metronidazole was going to work. He said that there is no reason why he can’t take this at home for the full course. However, he also said that to do this, the diarrhoea must have abated somewhat. I said “good luck with that then, as he has had diarrhoea since last August! A whole year now! Somehow I don’t think he will be sent home clutching the remainder of the course.

Two days ago I was given two “toilet seats” to raise ours at home. I put one on the downstairs bathroom loo, but I think it is going to come off. I don’t like the fact that the toilet lid and seat are permanently up and that the toilet itself is open. Also the ‘hole’ is smaller than the toilet itself, meaning that to clean, or even swish round with a brush, this seat has to be removed. I took pictures of it and showed them to Dave. He said that he didn’t like the look of it. However, I will leave it there until he comes home as it might prove useful in helping him to stand after using. The damn thing is so white that it catches my eye every time I walk past the bathroom to the kitchen which is next door. We have always left the door open unless the bathroom is being used. Probably a bit strange, but we don’t shut doors except when it is very cold in the winter and we want to keep individual rooms warm. I think this started when we moved into our previous home. The central heating there was oil fired (huge great tank in the garden) and worked on the principle of hot air rising. So if a bedroom door, for example, was closed, the room got gradually colder. Anyway, this is just a minor blip.

Dave had me take home a lot of the things he had in the hospital. Extra bottles of squash, spare clothes etc. I just left his clothes for coming home, which now won’t happen. He stopped wearing his own clothes because it was much more convenient to wear hospital pyjamas that can be stuffed into a bag with the soiled sheets etc. I have been bringing the clothes home to wash – even would you believe socks!

It is absolutely throwing it down here at the moment, and we have been promised this to last all day. The BBC weather forecast for this area has it raining until at least eight o’clock tonight. Deep joy!

Maisie
Akasya (14th August 2019), esb1841 (19th August 2019), tintagel (16th August 2019)
Old 14th August 2019, 10:13   #373 (permalink)
shash

shash is a splendid one to behold shash is a splendid one to behold shash is a splendid one to behold shash is a splendid one to behold shash is a splendid one to behold shash is a splendid one to behold shash is a splendid one to behold

They should have done the c.diff test when he first came back and before he left the hospital. It's quite difficult to treat. The hospital should clearly be aware of this because of the stronger strains of c.diff in hospitals. Milk is a no go area for the time being. But it's possible that although dairy a spoonful of live yoghurt could help balance the bacteria whilst on antibiotics. Better for the thrush it can cause.
High toilet seats and closing toilet doors are the least of the problems and as you said a minor blip. Definitely better for standing and sitting on a loo when there are mobility issues.
Make sure another stool test is done before he leaves and be extra extra vigilant on any hygiene around yourselves because it's surprising how far c.diff can travel around you.
Hope he will be on the mend again very soon.
Ps I would be breaking down the PALS door by now. Try phoning them. They are there.
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shash For This Useful Post:
Akasya (14th August 2019), esb1841 (19th August 2019), Maisie (15th August 2019), Mojive (14th August 2019), suecheshireuk (18th August 2019), Tillyfloss (18th August 2019), tintagel (16th August 2019)
Old 14th August 2019, 14:56   #374 (permalink)

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,796 Posts
esb1841 has disabled reputation

Maisie,

If you need something to help Dave get up from the toilet or sit down on the toilet you might want to take a look at this its height and Width adjustable
and doesn't require toilet lid and seat permanently up

https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/bath...SABEgI7GvD_BwE
esb1841 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esb1841 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (14th August 2019), Maisie (15th August 2019), tintagel (16th August 2019)
Old 15th August 2019, 09:40   #375 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

duplicate posting. Bloody computers!

Last edited by Maisie; 15th August 2019 at 09:58..
Maisie is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maisie For This Useful Post:
shash (15th August 2019)
Old 15th August 2019, 09:54   #376 (permalink)

I think I have one of those frames in the loft. A long time ago we came across it put out either for the rubbish, or to take away - which we did. As I recall it still has the wrappings around it. I will go up and have a look when I get back today.

Yesterday he seemed in good spirits. They are taking a stool sample every day and urine to test for ketones. I don't think he has been high enough consistently to have developed ketones, and there is no accompanying smell on his breath. But at least they are testing.

He only ate about a quarter of his lunch. Beef stew and dumplings. He said it was quite nice, but he just couldn't eat it. However, he did have a trifle, a yoghurt and three icecreams. As the carbohydrates are on these products, we could work out his intake. More or less the same as if he had eaten his lunch. A nurse came in and gave him insulin, which was fine and we felt was the right amount give or take one unit.

He said that the metronidazole now being taken orally - is foul! A rehab lady came in and asked if he would like to go for a walk. I queried this as the last time he had C.Diff. they would not let him leave his room. She went off and came back saying that he couldn't leave the room at the moment. We told her that he had in the morning, taken himself into the toilet using only his stick (no frame in the room). Not that far to walk to the door and subsequent distance to the toilet (on the far wall) and he said he really felt that he could do it safely and he did. He said he did not have a problem getting up, so this is good. He said that it is a strange feeling now needing the loo. He had the catheter in for so long he had forgotten what it felt like to have an urge to pee!

His legs do not look any different although he says he feels they are getting stronger. I took a picture sideways on of his left thigh. I showed this to some friends, who thought it was his arm! So skinny!

Speaking of which – one of these friends lives opposite. She is going away for the weekend and asked me if I would mind going in to feed her two cats. Would you believe, one of them is diabetic. Poor little soul, she is so sweet and trusting. I watched my friend give her her dinner and an injection in the scruff while she was eating. She never even paused (or should that be pawsed?) My friend says that if she finishes her meal, she disappears and hides making it difficult to give her an injection.

I hope Dave is still feeling better – he must start to improve some time – surely?

Maisie

Last edited by Maisie; 16th August 2019 at 07:55..
Maisie is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maisie For This Useful Post:
Akasya (15th August 2019), esb1841 (19th August 2019), Harem (15th August 2019), Hilsjw (16th August 2019), Mojive (15th August 2019), shash (15th August 2019), suecheshireuk (18th August 2019), tintagel (16th August 2019)
Old 16th August 2019, 18:22   #377 (permalink)

16th August 2019

Dave was okay yesterday. They have removed the catheter and put a new cannula in on his hand. He is connected to the drip, just giving him liquids. Apparently he is not drinking enough and consequently his blood pressure is quite low.

He asked me to help him out of bed to stand and use a bottle to pee. All was going well until the runs started again! I went for a nurse who came in and changed the bed and cleaned him up. This is so silly. Just prior to this, a nurse came in and gave him the antibiotic which she said is to "stop the diarrhoea". Shame it doesn't work. I can't see him coming out any time soon whilst they cannot stop this.

A rehab lady came in and asked him if he had been out of bed. We said that he had and what had happened. She told us off and said he was not allowed out as his blood pressure was so low. We told her that he cannot use a bottle lying down, and he has to stand. Apparently we should have rung for a nurse to help him stand – not me.

16th August 2019

I have not been up in the loft yet, maybe tomorrow.

Dave now has a catheter again. Only this time it is a small bag strapped to his left lower leg. He has enough trouble moving the left leg without the extra weight! Don’t know why this has been done, and he doesn’t know either.

He asked me to get him to the toilet. Not quite as quick as it sounds. The bloody door in there is hinged on the wrong side, which means that you have to open the door past 90 degrees just to get in. Moved the two drip stands, my trolley and his overbed table, got the zimmer and put his slippers on. Slow shuffle to the toilet. Got there just a leedle too late. I left him sitting on the toilet and went out for a change of pyjama trousers and a new incontinence pad. After getting him back into bed, I went out to ask someone should I put the pad and PJ trousers in the same bag. Nurse said yes, and that she would be in soon “to help” me. Needless to say the bag was still sitting on top of the rubbish bin in Dave’s room when I left an hour or so later.

He seemed okay in himself and said they are still giving him the foul stuff by mouth. It is not working. He has now decided that he will give up the tea. He reckons it makes him go. I must say there is some evidence to support this, but he is supposed to be increasing his liquid intake, so I suppose he had better go back to water, and not have so many cups of tea.

He ate all his lunch today, soup and icecream. He doesn’t know if he has ordered anything for dinner – I wish he would write it down. Every day I have to ask the tea trolley lady if he has ordered anything. I didn’t bother today because if he has soup for his lunch, he usually orders a proper meal for dinner. Usually cottage pie.

The weather was looking a bit grim, so he said to go and hopefully dodge the rain. I did, except for a few spots when it started. After that it has been pretty torrential.

Maisie
Akasya (16th August 2019), esb1841 (19th August 2019), tintagel (16th August 2019)
Old 16th August 2019, 19:12   #378 (permalink)

Thanked 10,816 Times in 4,337 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the PALS office will be open again on Monday, please make that your first port of call Maisie.

Maybe you would feel more comfortable if you phoned the PALS helpline to ask them if they think the hospital team can help you Maisie, you needn't tell them your name or which hospital is involved if you don't want to.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's fearful of something seriously going wrong in this haphazard shambles of a hospital.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...aison-service/

Best wishes.
Old 18th August 2019, 10:13   #379 (permalink)

17th August 2019

Dave was very quiet and subdued today. It was fish and chips with peas for lunch today. Dave said it was the worst meal he had had there. He had only eaten a small amount of the fish, no peas and only two chips. He said it didn’t taste right. I must be honest, I remember ordering this when I was in hospital and being very disappointed, I couldn’t eat it either.

After a very short time, he told me that he thought he had “gone”. I checked and he was right. I asked an HCA to come and change him. He said he would be there shortly. A short time later, he came in with a change of pants and wipes. All okay, and off he went. Then Dave said he had gone again. He was right. I went out to look for someone, and the place was deserted. So I helped myself from the trolley. I changed him. Ten minutes later, it happened again. Again I went for someone – nobody in sight. Again I got the stuff and did it myself, including the pyjama jacket. This time, the sheet had to be changed as well. That was quite a feat – changing the bottom sheet whilst Dave was still in bed. I just threw all the stuff in a heap on the bin.

An HCA came in with the foul “to stop diarrhoea” medicine (what a joke given what had transpired in the last hour). He was given the two pills that he is supposed to take before eating his meal. He said that he got them regularly with his breakfast, but it is a bit hit and miss with the other two meals. It is still not in the computer – apparently. We have totally given up on getting this information onto the computer. The HCA said that he was going to give Dave insulin, but his reading had been about 7 a short while before. I said no, he was too low and also he did not eat much for lunch. So he left it.

It seems that they had had an “emergency” on the ward and everyone had become involved. That was why I couldn’t find anyone. They were much in evidence after this – we even had to turn up the volume on the TV to hear above the noisy chattering outside the door.

As I was preparing to leave, Dave said that could I tell someone, he had gone again! It does cross my mind from time to time that it is as well this is happening in hospital, although I have had my fair share of it at home. What worries me now is that this will still be happening once they have discharged him. I am convinced they are not going to be able to stop this and it will be back to me again. If previous information is to be believed, that is that they cannot cure the colitis which will continue to have flare-ups causing the runs, then I wonder why they are giving him medication.

So far as I can tell, he is able to use his legs a little bit, but not for long. I have purchased a rollator. I opened the box, but it is all in pieces, needing construction. I will leave this until nearer the time for him to come home. I will have to assess myself whether he can use this yet, or whether he will still be using the zimmer. I don’t think he will be able to leave the house for quite some time. His legs need to be built up. I have considered the protein stuff used by athletes. However, I think I mentioned earlier, I was told that this only works in conjunction with exercising. He is so reluctant to do “exercises” other than going for a shuffle round the ward. Of course this is an artificial test, the ward being so unobstructed in the corridors. He is still not allowed out of the room, so I assume they think he still has C.Diff.

Maisie
Akasya (19th August 2019), esb1841 (19th August 2019), tintagel (18th August 2019)
Old 18th August 2019, 11:06   #380 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,868 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

Maisie you must ask them straight out what are they going to do about this colitis. It can, and must, be dealt with before they even think about sending him home.
Akasya (19th August 2019), esb1841 (19th August 2019), Mojive (18th August 2019), suecheshireuk (18th August 2019), tintagel (18th August 2019)

Tags
bolshie , husband