Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 9th September 2019, 15:29   #431 (permalink)

Thanked 5,131 Times in 1,814 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Bolshie Husband

I went to the dentist!!!

The swelling now seems to have dropped to my lower jaw bone and the gums below my teeth on that side are now swollen as well - and painful! They charged me 22.70 before I could see anyone. I was told that "my" dentist had left the practice but that another dentist could see me at 1.30pm. Having no choice, I paid and said okay, see you later then.

Lady dentist - I don't have a good record with the ladies. She took an x-ray and said that there was indeed inflamation under the tooth and not only that - there was a zonking great hole under it as well. It has to come out.

She gave me a 5 day course of antibiotics, and the reception said I should come back or telephone them when the five days is up. They will then make an appointment for another "check-up" to sort out this tooth. Then of course I will have to make ongoing appointments to sort out the two teeth that broke off. The dentist said that she didn't look at them because she was treating me as an emergency for the abcess.

I hope to get in tomorrow, Tuesday, to see Dave.

I called the hospital and asked them to give Dave a message that I would not be in today.

Maisie
Akasya (9th September 2019), Harem (9th September 2019), Hilsjw (12th September 2019), Tillyfloss (9th September 2019)
Old 11th September 2019, 09:44   #432 (permalink)

Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Upon arrival (Tuesday 10th) I was stopped by the lady doctor who had telephoned me. She said that Dave was making progress, but there were one or two worries. She said she would see me later in Dave’s room, in about an hour.

When I got to Dave, whilst he had pyjamas on, he had packed almost everything else. Why? Because “a man” had appeared this morning and told him that he was being “discharged to a home”. Now, whilst I do not believe he had any such visit, I think he is making this up after I told him that the doctor said they were going to “sign papers” and were legally obliged to inform me as next of kin. I unpacked all his stuff as I knew he wasn’t going anywhere. Two and a half hours later, I had to leave. My tooth was playing me up and it looked like it was going to rain.

While I was there he asked me to get a nurse as he had pains in the pit of his stomach again, as though he wanted to pee. I looked at the bag and it was completely empty, so was the tube leading to the bag. Upshot of this was a bladder scan, which showed his bladder was full to almost bursting! A nurse came in and performed a ”bladder flush”. After about ten minutes he said the pain was subsiding. I looked and urine was once again flowing.

I was just getting into the lift when an HCA lad from the ward appeared. He said the doctor had just gone into Dave’s room. So I went back. It seems that what concerns them most is the fluctuating levels of Dave’s blood sugars. Yes, that has bothered us and many medical people a few times over the last 43 years as well!

She said that they cannot understand why the levels go up and down so drastically without a normal reason. Yes, we have noticed that too! She said that medically he was fit to be discharged into the “community” and would be seen by health workers at home. I think this is where Dave got the wrong end of the stick. Care in the community does not mean a nursing home. It means he is discharged to home and there will be a succession of people who want to come in and “help” him. Good luck with that then! Dave will not allow them in, I am sure.

Anyway, this doctor said that the ultrasound and scan had not shown anything up. However, they feel there is a stricture in the “channel” (does she mean tube?) leading from his gall bladder to his bowel. She said this seemed to be at the entry point to his bowel. Quite how they are going to determine this, I don’t know. But she said they would be performing some sort of test first thing tomorrow morning. I asked if they would have the results by the time I got there, and she said most probably. I am not quite sure that this, if discovered, has anything to do with blood sugar levels. But what do I know?

Maisie
Akasya (12th September 2019), esb1841 (12th September 2019), Harem (12th September 2019), Hilsjw (12th September 2019), shash (11th September 2019), Tillyfloss (11th September 2019)
Old 11th September 2019, 18:05   #433 (permalink)

Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,572 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie View Post
Yes Chips, Dave and I both remember you for your help and kindness when we were stuck after being robbed of our villa. It still rankles, and it is getting on for ten years now. How time flies! Now - dentist, here I come.

Maisie
You're a brave couple Maisie, the leaning on each other in bad times is what makes couples what they are. Dave's turn to lean I reckon.....
Akasya (12th September 2019), esb1841 (12th September 2019), juco (12th September 2019), Maisie (12th September 2019), spanabridge (13th September 2019), tintagel (12th September 2019)
Old 12th September 2019, 09:53   #434 (permalink)

Dave was looking and sounding very down yesterday. His lunch was sitting on a tray untouched. He said he couldn’t eat, he felt so ill. He said that a succession of people had been in all morning doing various things. He said he feels like a pin cushion. He is now attached to two drips, one in each arm. Insulin in one on a sliding scale and potassium chloride in the other. He said that the phlebotomists had been having a field day also. But they have trouble finding a vein now, so he gets prodded many times just to get one sample.

An HCA made him a cup of tea, but despite asking me for them, he wouldn’t eat even a biscuit.

A phlebotomist came in while I was there. She had four attempts to find a vein. Eventually, she said she had enough blood and off she went. About half an hour later two female doctors appeared and said that the previous sample was no good because it clotted! So they wanted another one. I watched while they tried four or five times before getting into a vein. Dave asked what they were checking for. They said, blood sugar (doesn’t that happen with the small reader umpteen times a day?), haemoglobin and many other substances that the blood might/might not contain.

We did not get any results of anything yesterday. I asked Dave, but he didn’t know, whether the test the doctor had referred to the day before had been carried out. That particular doctor was not on the ward so I could not ask her.

He said they had removed the catheter, and could I help him stand to use a bottle? Unfortunately, he had already done a pee and also his bowels had been performing as well. I went in search of a clean pad and wet wipes. I cleaned him up, put on a fresh pad and got him back into bed. A little nurse appeared. She is new and very nice. She apologised for not being there to help me – she had seen me with all the stuff going back into Dave’s room. I told her it didn’t matter as I was quite capable of doing this. She said she had three alarms going at once, and they all turned out to be people who needed their bottoms changing. They are very short staffed on that ward. Although there are always plenty of people walking about in the corridors, they are doctors and rehab staff. It is left to the nurses and HCAs to do the practical stuff.

About ten minutes later, Dave said he was sorry, but he had ‘gone’ again. I changed him for a second time. I also got the stuff for the next time and left it by his wash basin.

I am afraid, this is now getting to him big time. He started crying and said that he didn’t think he was going to “make it” and that he would “die in this hospital”. I can’t cope with this! How can I reassure him, when I am not certain myself? I don’t know what to say, except that he is being silly and he will be home soon. This incontinence has been going on now for over a year – it started August 2018 - and we are no further forward in finding the reason for this. Never mind being able to stop it! He keeps saying that he doesn’t know where it is all coming from as he is hardly eating. To tell him that he must eat is futile. He knows he should, but won’t. I have told him that if he doesn’t eat he will get weaker and less able to fight off infections as and when they occur, which seems pretty frequent now.

Just before I left, he said he had ‘gone’ again. I had the stuff there, but he said to leave it and he would get a nurse later. I really cannot imagine what it must be like to be lying in bed knowing that this has happened. I can only contribute by changing him when necessary. In this respect, this is no different to him being at home.

I spoke with Mark and during the conversation, he asked me about Dave getting into the bath. Firstly, he would not do this, because of his problem, and secondly he vividly remembers the last time he tried at home. A very long time ago now. He called me to get him out as he was stuck. It took quite a bit of moving etc. to effect this, but we got there in the end. He said then he would not use the bath again. We do have a shower assembly connected, so perhaps he could use this. However, this now has the same problems of using as our shower room. He cannot stand unsupported for more than a minute or so. Blanket baths are all very well, but not the same. I can just imagine the faces of the workers they want to send in here when I tell them that he cannot get into or out of the bath, and neither can he use the shower.

What the answer to this is – I do not know. Mark said that “care in the community” means a succession of people wanting to come in and “help”. Over my dead body! He said that if we were unco-operative, in order to protect Dave, they could have him made a ward of court and I would have no say in this. I hope he is not right, because I can foresee problems on the doorstep! How much right can anyone have to enter my home? Police (with a very good reason), fire brigade (if we were on fire) – and who else? They will have to break my door down should this occur! Whilst I can understand the concern of others, the final decision must and should be Dave’s – not even mine!

I hope I will get some answers to all the blood taking yesterday when I get there today.

Maisie
Akasya (12th September 2019), esb1841 (12th September 2019), Harem (12th September 2019), Mojive (12th September 2019), Peter J (12th September 2019), saoirse (12th September 2019), shash (12th September 2019), tintagel (12th September 2019), yalimart (12th September 2019)
Old 12th September 2019, 13:00   #435 (permalink)
The Golden Girls

Thanked 1,688 Times in 677 Posts
Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future

You can buy a width adjustable swivel seat for the bath (about 80). He sits on it then you would lift his legs as it swivels round until his feet are in the bath. He can then sit in it and have a shower. This is one of them.
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/b...saAgQSEALw_wcB
Akasya (12th September 2019), Maisie (13th September 2019), shash (12th September 2019), tintagel (12th September 2019)
Old 12th September 2019, 13:12   #436 (permalink)

Thanked 6,014 Times in 2,618 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that Dave has had so many drugs fed into his system that his bowel flora is probably non-existent now. There is some probiotic treatment called Symprove which you can get from amazon or other online providers which would help to rebuild the range of benign flora he needs to be able to process his food properly. gut health is absolutely vital to proper digestion and nutritional absorption.
I cannot believe that his doctors are happy that he has had diarrhoea since August last year; are they really unconcerned about his nutrition and weight loss? If they had any sense of responsibility they should be monitoring nutrition; you cannot recover from anything without the right food and the body's ability to process it.

It's also undergoing medical trials for Parkinsons sufferers as the same problem applies, and there is growing evidence that gut health is vital for brain health.
i know he doesn't have Parkinsons but this is the link about Symprove for anyone interested.
https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/n...prove-symptoms

Worrying is a waste of imagination.

Last edited by Kanga; 12th September 2019 at 13:20..
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (12th September 2019), Maisie (13th September 2019), Peter J (12th September 2019), tintagel (12th September 2019)
Old 12th September 2019, 20:55   #437 (permalink)
Recycled Teenager

Thanked 1,292 Times in 574 Posts
Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of Struggs has much to be proud of

Maisie, have you got a Lidl near you, as from Sun. 15th Sept. they have different health items, reasonable.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLi...rticleId=25254
Struggs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Struggs For This Useful Post:
Maisie (13th September 2019)
Old 13th September 2019, 08:46   #438 (permalink)

Dave was sitting in his chair just finishing his lunch. He had his dressing gown on and seemed quite cheerful. However, he had three drips going in! He asked me to help him back into bed. This proved impossible because of all the tubes, two of which went down the sleeve of the dressing gown. He did this himself. When we got the nurse in to help, he was quite wet down one side. The cannula had been pulled out when he put his arm into the sleeve. So, large clean up operations. The nurse disconnected the drips so that he could take the dressing gown off. The pyjamas were also wet, so these got changed too. The drips were reconnected. One had nearly finished so they didn't bother with a new cannula.

He said that someone had been in "about every ten minutes" through the night taking blood. This could not have happened. He was probably dozing and it only seemed like ten minutes. Although I must say that while I was there, someone came for blood about every hour. Blood sugar and syringes full to go to the lab. Apart from the blood sugars, the others proved difficult because of his lack of available veins.

When we were trying to extricate Dave from the tubes, the nurse was informed that unless I get some proper answers today from a doctor, I am on my way to PALS. A doctor appeared. Apparently, the test for early morning was to check for cortisol levels. Whether they were checking for Addison's disease or not, they didn't say. But it seems his levels are way over what is acceptable as normal. So there is no problem there.

The doctor said that they have been discussing Dave’s condition as to a way forward. She said that his blood sugar levels seemed to have settled down today. Well they would – one of the drips was a sliding scale insulin drip. The only time you can count on the levels being reasonable is when he is on this sliding scale regime. Now it had been removed, I expect the levels will once again become erratic. They did three tests after the drip went. They were all within point two of each other. But did this continue? Find out today.

Then another guy appeared saying he was a doctor with the gastro team. He explained to us that they were uncertain if the apparent stricture was being caused by Dave’s diarrhoea or the other way round. To find out for sure involved a nasty procedure putting a camera down the throat to get as far as the liver and gall bladder. He said that this is of itself very invasive and can have complications. So it was best to try and find out without this test. Quite how this is going to be achieved, he didn’t say. But he said his boss, the consultant, was planning on seeing Dave this morning. I asked if either himself or the consultant would be there today and he said no. But the consultant would explain everything to Dave. I again had to say that Dave’s memory is not good enough to retain any of this information to convey this to me. He said that he would make sure the consultant told the nurse in charge, so she could tell me. I will believe that when it happens.

They have removed the catheter. Dave asked me to help him stand to use the bottle, but he had already been. This lack of knowing when he wants to “go” is a problem. He says he has the feelings, but doesn’t realise that these feelings seem to be occurring after the event. Anyway, he did not get anything in the bottle, but his pad needed changing, so I did that. A bit later, he said he wanted to pee again. I got him out to stand by the bed. This time, he did want to go. The pad was okay, so he got back into bed.

So for now, everything is still up in the air. I think the doctors are puzzled to a certain extent as to what is causing the problems. It seems they are in a chicken and egg situation at the moment. Is there a stricture? What is causing it? Is it the diarrhoea or is the diarrhoea causing the stricture? Apparently it could be either. Or does he, in fact, have a stricture?

It seems from what the first doctor said, they are discussing Dave, but they are not including me in the discussions. Okay, I realise that this is not usual, but at least could they tell me after their discussions whether they have reached a conclusion, or are they still looking?

Totally off subject. Dave said he would like a hard boiled egg. So I put one on to boil – and promptly forgot about it. Until there was a large explosion from the kitchen! Of course, it had boiled dry. I really cannot believe that one egg can go so far. What a wally.

Maisie
Akasya (13th September 2019), shash (13th September 2019)
Old 13th September 2019, 09:01   #439 (permalink)

Struggs: Mark told me about these things at Lidl, although I hadn't seen the pictures. The sliding chair into the bath won't work due to lack of space. The in bath thingy would be okay if Dave could move his legs. I already have the toilet frame. We are going to have to play this by ear a bit when he gets home.

Maisie
Akasya (13th September 2019), Struggs (13th September 2019)
Old 14th September 2019, 04:35   #440 (permalink)

About ten minutes before I was leaving for the bus yesterday (Friday), I got a call from the hospital. A voice said that Dave had been classed “medically fit for discharge”. I refrained from asking if he could stand and walk, as already three times this has not been the case, why should a fourth time be different? I asked if he had his meds and discharge letter, and I was told “yes”. Which as it happened, turned out to be a lie.

I got to the hospital and Dave was not happy. He said that a “doctor” he thinks, told him he could go home. He said that he told him he couldn’t walk, but that was ignored. Again, why should these people listen now when they haven’t before? I asked Dave where his letter and meds were, and he said that he hadn’t got them yet. I packed up his stuff. About two hours later a woman came in and said she was from the pharmacy and had come to check what meds he had and what he needed! Give me strength! She unlocked his cabinet and went through the bag of stuff. She then put it all back and kept one packet out. She said this was the lansoprozole, as it had been decided to stop this and give him ranitidine instead. I don’t have anything to say about that. It would appear that ranitidine is used to treat stomach ulcers and also stops the acid forming that causes heartburn. So that seems okay. Although I wonder why our own GP has never made this change? Probably the hospital doctors know something our GP doesn’t.

Anyway, the pharmacy woman said that there was another tablet they are now giving him, namely ursodeoxycholic acid! This is very puzzling. Dave said that the doctor told him he was going to give him a medication to “harden up” the diarrhoea. Well, that cannot be this new acid, as it appears the primary use of this is to dissolve gallstones! Pardon? Since when did Dave have gallstones? This is also a steroid for treating liver cirrhosis. So he has that too does he?

I don’t know whether they have already started giving him this acid, because I pointed out to the staff two days ago that Dave’s feet and ankles were swelling. So much so that he couldn’t get his slippers on. I said that the last time this had happened, Dave was taking (hospital prescribed) steroids and our GP told him to stop them as the swelling had reached his knees. Well, his legs are now so swollen that it looks as though he had never lost the weight from them. They look as they were before all this started. But is this being caused by tablets? As usual, they have treated me like a mushroom and I will have to try and get a GP appointment to discuss this. But I have saved the best bit to last. That is, one of the side effects of this acid is diarrhoea!! The leaflet with this medication says, amongst other things, “Talk to your doctor immediately if you have diarrhoea, as this may require a reduction in the dose or discontinuation of the treatment with U.Acid”. Great eh? What happened about a medication to harden up the stools? No, let’s give him something that will cause even more diarrhoea. No doubt his wife will cope with the outcome.

I also wonder if they have already been giving him this acid, as since he has been home, he has had three very nasty bouts of the problem. The second one resulting in all the bedding being changed and washed. I am still doing washing at, what is the time now, oh yes it is 3.44am. The incidences of the diarrhoea was lessening over the last few days in hospital, and we thought this was an encouraging sign.

The ward sister couldn’t get me out of there fast enough. She said that transport was arranged for Dave but, as before, I would have to make my own way home. Dave did not have his new meds, just the ones in the (still locked) cabinet. She said that if I did not hurry, the transport would have Dave at home before I got there. Well – tough titty! I brought his packed case home and the sister unlocked the cupboard and gave me the meds that were left out of what I took in. I got home at 3.30pm. About twenty to five I got a call from the sister to say that Dave’s meds had arrived (a tad late I feel seeing as they had had all morning and most of the afternoon). She wanted to go through them with me. What for? They already know that I have more of the same here at home, we have crossed this bridge one or two times before, haven’t we? Anyway, it transpires that basically she wanted to tell me about the two new meds, which I had told her about before I left. She said that the letter was now done and they would courier this to us at home. I asked if Dave had left and she said about forty minutes ago.

Dave arrived. I tried to take his zimmer to him to get up the steps and the path, but the bolshie woman (who kept telling me she was not a doctor) said this wouldn’t work. Pardon? It worked the last time as the zimmer fits completely onto each step. But she had to have her way and I took the zimmer back. Between her and a guy, they helped Dave up the path. I made the comment that this was good wasn’t it? Fit to come home when he wouldn’t walk? She started spouting off again about being fed up with people getting at her, she was only doing her job, etc. etc. She said that they had been booked for four o’clock and that was the time they picked Dave up. So why was the sister so insistent on getting me out of the ward at quarter to three?

I didn’t like the attitude of this woman, not the driver but a “helper” I suppose they would describe her. She was on the offensive right from the start. She wouldn’t listen that I was sent home over two hours ago.

Dave zimmered himself into the lounge. The ‘phone rang. It was a district nurse asking what time was she to come in to “give Dave his insulin”. What? I said we deal with that ourselves and have been for forty-three years. She asked who was giving him insulin in the hospital. Well if she knows anything at all about hospitals then she will know that Dave does not have the chance to administer his insulin as it is always locked away! I told her that we did not require her services in this respect, but that we did need a district nurse to deal with the bedsore. Yes, it is still there. She said she would speak with the hospital, and off she went. About an hour later, the bell rang and there she was! She said that I said we needed a D.nurse for his bottom. Yes, but for goodness sake woman, not after he has only been home for half an hour. I could spit! So she said she would come tomorrow.

After a cup of tea and a look at the soaps on TV, he said he would prefer to go upstairs to bed. Got to the bottom of the stairs and went up them on hands and feet. The problem occurred again at the top, as he can’t stand and does not have the strength to pull himself up. So, down onto hands and knees again and crawl. Upon reaching the bed I again had to lift him. I asked him if he wanted the commode put by his side of the bed and he said yes. Why I don’t know. Because he decided to get out of bed, cross over to my side of the bed, walk round to the door, get across the landing to the toilet and then call for me to help him. I have never seen such a mess. It had leaked out with a vengeance. Over the duvet cover, all along the carpet as he was getting round the bed and across the landing carpet. The bloody pad was down to his knees with the weight and of course he was also in a mess. Got to the toilet and before I had a chance to pull the thing down, he said he was sitting down and did so. Trapping the pad on the seat. I don’t think I want to elaborate more on this, as I am sure you get the message.

Eventually he said he could get up now. I did the best I could in the confines of a small toilet and got him cleaned up, fresh pad on, and back to bed. While I was bagging up all the stuff, he called out that he had been again! Not quite so bad this time, but I made him sit on the commode after removing the pad. That is what the damned thing is there for, for God’s sake! A little later he said he had finished, and I did the necessary.

We have a new quilt. I only bought it about four weeks ago. When I stripped off the cover, it had gone through and stained it. Wonderful. Just what I wanted when he came home. More work for me that would not be strictly necessary if he wasn’t so bloody stubborn and used the commode. Really, I could slap him! He wasn’t reticent about getting a commode in the hospital, so why not use it here?

So since then, I have had the washing machine going non-stop. I am not talking to him at the moment, I am too annoyed. This is the second time he has done this on the day he returned home. I rather think I am getting to the end of my tether. When I have added these last few pages to my file, I am on the bus to PALS. Somehow, the hospital always seems to have the last laugh on us.

The last load has just spun out – I can hear it from where I am. So I will get this out now and on the line. We have a floodlight in the garden so I can see what I am doing. I don’t think it is going to rain. But, that would be the last straw!

Maisie

Last edited by Maisie; 14th September 2019 at 04:43..
Maisie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maisie For This Useful Post:
35pluschips (15th September 2019), Akasya (14th September 2019), shash (14th September 2019), tintagel (14th September 2019), yalimart (14th September 2019)

Tags
bolshie , husband