Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 18th December 2008, 17:30   #1 (permalink)
Kennels & Pet Transporter

Phil Johns is a name known to all Phil Johns is a name known to all Phil Johns is a name known to all Phil Johns is a name known to all Phil Johns is a name known to all Phil Johns is a name known to all
Unhappy Pony in need of a good home

Help needed urgently. Some of you in the Didim area may have read about Barbul the pony, the story appeared in the Didimian of the pony who spent long days tethered out by the hospital and new market without water during the heat of summer.

In September it was arranged with the help of a Turkish lady, for The Friends of Didim Animals to buy him from his current owner with funding from the Netherlands. The plan was for him to stay in Didim alongside the Shetland Ponies she had for the summer, when the ponies were to return to Izmir to their winter home, Barbul would go with them. Unfortunately the people in Izmir refused to take him because he isn't a Shetland.

She then arranged for him to go to a man that she knew who had access to a headland not far from Mavisehir, ideal we all thought as we would be able to visit and check on his welfare. This situation lasted a week, he was visited a couple of times but the man who had taken responsibility for him was never to be seen. We were told he was in Aydin as his wife was ill but the shepherd was looking after Barbul. The following week I visited again to be met by the owner of the land who said he did not want the pony there. We later spotted Barbul tied to a bush along the main road from Mavisehir to the Temple.

Liberating him from there we took him to where we keep our horses, cleared out a store room and created a temporary stable. He has now been in "Foster Care" with us since early October and needs a new permanent home, the chap who's land we use wants the store back for his sheep who are due to lamb any day and he is intact which is causing rampant hormones with the young mares.

Gill Erer from the charity has been trying to place him with the partner of the Yesiltepe stable in Istanbul but unfortunately although they promised her they would collect him they have not done so and have not responded to text messages.

This has led us to make an appeal on the forum for someone to come forward and give this little lad a home. He is a sweet little thing, approx 120 cm or 12 hands high, similar to a Dartmoor pony he is able to be outside the majority of the time. He tethers happily to munch the grass which is coming through. Ideally he would benefit from an adult who has some experience of equines as he is strong in mind and body. He would love to have children in his life again, he was used to children riding him and now that he has filled out a bit he would be more comfortable. A stable or shelter would be needed for the rain preferable 2 x 3 meters, plenty of room to lie and roll. As to his running costs, he eats around 2 - 3 kilo's a day of Kuspa, available in Didim at a cost of 29ytl for a 50kg sack, this is soaked for five hours before feeding. He loves treats, carrots, apples, watermelon and currently turnip, basically anything cheap and cheerful from the market. Hay and straw supplement his diet when there is no grass and this costs between 6 - 8 ytl a bale. He doesn't need shoes as he is not road walking any distance, his hooves will need the occasional trim, this is not costly but I am getting some equipment brought out and will be doing my horses hoof care and would be happy to do his if he is in the Didim area.

Anyone out there who has interest can pm/email us and we can send photos and arrange a visit.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Sylvia will become famous soon enough
Re: Pony in need of a good home

I hope you find a good home for the poor barbul
Sylvia is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 18:32   #3 (permalink)
saz

saz will become famous soon enough

hi can you please send me a pic

we have had horses for 25 years

thanks

Last edited by saz; 18th December 2008 at 18:38..
saz is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 21:09   #4 (permalink)

leylaasena has a spectacular aura about leylaasena has a spectacular aura about leylaasena has a spectacular aura about

Have you contacted Voices ?

Or put the details on the AA forum?

Someone there maybe able to help.

Good luck
leylaasena is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 07:18   #5 (permalink)

gerrie will become famous soon enough

Hi Phil,

I have a children's nursery, our garden at the moment is fairly small, however we are moving to much bigger premises in the summer. I would love to take the pony - I have temporary land availabe next door to us at the moment - but there is no shelter. If anyone could help build a temporary shelter for this winter I would love to have him.
Please let me know - Im getting excited now !!!!!
Gerrie
gerrie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 10:53   #6 (permalink)
Let sleeping dogs lie

Valian is a splendid one to behold Valian is a splendid one to behold Valian is a splendid one to behold Valian is a splendid one to behold Valian is a splendid one to behold Valian is a splendid one to behold Valian is a splendid one to behold

The pony has today gone off to a lovely home in Kusadasi. The new owner has 40,000 acres of land and there are horses already there, so he will have pals. He is going to a friend's today for a week or so, whilst a palace of a stable is being built for him. He will be the Xmas Present for two small children who fell in love with him from his photos. The British mum of the children said they have wanted a pony for ages. It seems sure that he will get lots and lots of attention, and loads of love from the whole family, whose friend has racehorses, and will be in charge of looking after him and ensuring he gets good food, hoof trimming and a bit of discipline when required, as he is rather cheeky now. They are looking for a decent condition pony saddle and bridle if anyone can help?
Old 24th December 2008, 11:19   #7 (permalink)

paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of

So glad to hear that the pony has gone to such a smashing home - he has really fallen on his feet!!

After reading the first post I was so upset to read of him being tied up with no feed and water. I'm surprised that during the heat of the summer that he survived.
paddington bear is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 16:31   #8 (permalink)

matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold

Really pleased that little Po has now got a kind loving home, i hope he will have a very happy life with his new family.
I'm sure the children will be very happy this Christmas having a new little pony to care for.
My daughter had her first pony at the age of 6, she is now 24 and still lives and breaths ponies and horses.

Regards Ann
matty is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 17:11   #9 (permalink)

Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold Lindacm is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Pony in need of a good home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valian
The pony has today gone off to a lovely home in Kusadasi. The new owner has 40,000 acres of land and there are horses already there, so he will have pals. He is going to a friend's today for a week or so, whilst a palace of a stable is being built for him. He will be the Xmas Present for two small children who fell in love with him from his photos. The British mum of the children said they have wanted a pony for ages. It seems sure that he will get lots and lots of attention, and loads of love from the whole family, whose friend has racehorses, and will be in charge of looking after him and ensuring he gets good food, hoof trimming and a bit of discipline when required, as he is rather cheeky now. They are looking for a decent condition pony saddle and bridle if anyone can help?
So pleased to hear that this sad story has a happy ending. God willing he will now have the happy life he so deserves.

Well done that family.

Linda
Old 24th December 2008, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
saz

saz will become famous soon enough

what great news, so glad that he has a good home just only wish it was too us - i wish him all the best and again what to thank you for doing a great job

Happy christmas

Tags
good , home , pony