Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 28th November 2010, 12:30   #1 (permalink)
ex Bond Girl

rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold
Home brew

Has anyone tried home brewing with turkish ingredients for both wine and beer, would really appreciate some help here.
Old 28th November 2010, 13:53   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 7,693 Times in 3,200 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Home brew

Wasnt this largely covered in another thread the other week?
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 14:13   #3 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 20,177 Times in 8,711 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

it was your thread rosewall1

homemade wine in Turkey?

is it actually legal to home brew ?

martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 14:36   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 7,693 Times in 3,200 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
is it actually legal to home brew ?
Is in uk for beer/wine but not allowed to sell. Distillation is illegal.

Dont know regarding Turkey.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
ex Bond Girl

rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold

Ok Yalimart similar thread but I am now asking for more indepth info, and beer info, I am trying to pick someone here in Turkey's brain before I waste my time and money trying to produce things that are impossible.
Old 17th January 2011, 08:54   #6 (permalink)

pantsmachine will become famous soon enough pantsmachine will become famous soon enough

Making your own beer is not difficult. i would advise you to go along to 'Jim's beerkit' fourm. Register and start learning, it's great fun. Beermaking goes from basic kits to all grain with a stop or 2 in between. None are difficult but the equipment and time required increases as you go up the scale towards all grain brewing. All grain is the peak and the beers produced brewing this way are better than anything that can be bought in the shops or pub.

The legalities shouldn't be a problem. Its not Saudi you are in is it?

Good luck and looking fwd top hearing about your progress.
pantsmachine is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 12:17   #7 (permalink)

superpp is on a distinguished road

having just gotten into this myself, it's really easy.
not much more than opening a tin pouring into a bucket, adding water and yeast stir and then wait.
I use this site and forum:
The Online Homebrew Beer & Wine Company - Homebrew Beer | Home Wine Making Shop | homebrewing Forum, homebrewing help and advice | Homebrew kits | winemaking kits | all grain brewing | hops | malted barley | beer kits |brewing equipment
superpp is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 12:30   #8 (permalink)

pantsmachine will become famous soon enough pantsmachine will become famous soon enough

Here's a link to my brewing blog.

Bennachie Brewery of Scotland All Grain Brewing Heaven for Beer Geeks.

There are a few further links on it which will take you to places of note and interest in the online brewing world. There are also a few of my beers. Don't be put off by the recipes. Its a lot simpler once you are into it and i TBH am really quite far along the path of madness that all IPA brewing hopheads tread. best to start with a simple pale ale.

Couple of tins of ME
couple of different hop types(or even single hop)
Yeast
Off you go!

Google Brad Smith BeerSmith, brilliant brewing software, easy to get into and make recipes. There are also hundreds of recipes out there.

The simplest way for you to make a good beer or lager or pale ale or IPA or stout(sorry i get a bit carried away about beer)! is by jumping straight into extract brewing.

This means that you would purchase either in Turkey or get someone to bring across tins of Malt Extract to you. To keep things simple, the sugary water that is extracted from the grain is the messiest part of the process. if you go around this by buying Malt Extract then you can go directly to buying vac packed hops of your choice and a good yeast. As with any form of cooking the better the ingredients(think sponge cake) the better the final cake, right?

Same goes for brewing, that's why you would cherry pick you malt extract and your hops and your yeast. After that you really only need a working knowledge of the brewing process and you are off and running.

The fastest, cheapest and neatest way you could do it(and still make decent beer) would be to buy a big pan(biggest aluminium(much cheaper than stainless) pan you can find, chinese supermarkets are great as they have huge stock pots). After that you need a hop bag to hold your hops in during the boil, a little bit of water treatment maybe. Make sure everything is sterile(this is a part the learning bit). A great big sterilised bucket to keep it in while it ferments(20 degrees, no higher please). Some tubing, bottles,caps and bottles(those 1/2 ltr Effes bottle look just fine to me) and some good yeast(US-05 is my go to yeast for most occasions).

Once its fermented out and you have bottled it with some live yeast and priming sugar you leave it for 4 weeks or so to condition and then its ready. Cue drum roll as you turn to your partner and say 'my god that's good'!

Yeast and hops can be bought in the UK online as can the brewing gear itself. Shipping big tins of malt extract would be expensive so i would advise looking for a source of ME in Turkey or go straight to All Grain brewing. Hope that's enough to keep you ticking over. Fair warning though, brewing is a bug that can bite quite hard. You will find yourself eyeing up those 4 gallon water containers and thinking'what beer could i make in that'!

Jeezoh, i'm knackered. You owe me a beer, homebrewed of course, good luck.
pantsmachine is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 16:40   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,179 Times in 424 Posts
pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future

We make a lot of wine in the UK and would think you could make some good stuff from the lovley ripe soft fruits you see out there.
pldouglas is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 17:23   #10 (permalink)
ex Bond Girl

Thanks all for advice, this is what I have done since the original post. I purchased online some malt, hops, and yeast, my son was visiting the UK and brought it back to me. I had a simple recipe and my first batch is now being drunk and very good it is too. So I am now experimenting with some of the hops and yeast UK purchased and Turkish molass, I shall be bottling this tomorrow, it has taken longer than the UK malt by a couple of days and seems that it will be slightly darker but has the flavour of beer so we shall see.
Wine - I have 3 gallons of orange wine on the go but cannot give any report as we are still fermenting.
I also bought some Alcotec made it but not having any real success with the mixing with flavours. Tried it with gin, vodka and whisky but not very keen on that. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Tags
brew , home