Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 10th July 2007, 09:08   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,933 Posts
Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute
Question Long term rental pitfalls?

As more and more people are looking for long term rentals in Turkey, I thought it would be a good time to discuss out what the legal situation is concerning long term rentals, i.e. what rights the tenants have and how do you get rid of them if they don't pay the rent etc.

I have not let my place out for that reason, because I can't be bothered going through the headache of getting rid of unwanted tenant (especially in a foreign country where you don't know the procedures and have to rely on others to do these sort of things for you)

What do others think, have you done long term rentals and how was it?
Old 10th July 2007, 10:10   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 5,312 Times in 2,140 Posts
Terry the Celt has disabled reputation
Re: Long term rental pitfalls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushtaq
As more and more people are looking for long term rentals in Turkey, I thought it would be a good time to discuss out what the legal situation is concerning long term rentals, i.e. what rights the tenants have and how do you get rid of them if they don't pay the rent etc.

I have not let my place out for that reason, because I can't be bothered going through the headache of getting rid of unwanted tenant (especially in a foreign country where you don't know the procedures and have to rely on others to do these sort of things for you)

What do others think, have you done long term rentals and how was it?
Totally agree with you Mushtaq
I really cant be bothered to go through all the hassle plus the risk of them leaving the property in a poor state of neglect. Its our 2nd home and it doesnt seem to justify the risks after taking into account you may only get 150 a month max for it as an apartment and after you pay tax on the income of 1800 a year max,it comes down to peanuts for whats involved.
People on here are getting very low income for long term rentals and often its somebody elses furniture and white goods in it so I cant see the point for what you get. I would rather see the place empty for longish periods but safe and maintained in the condition we bought it in for our family use.
We were quoted a 1 yr let for our place at 2000 but with the taxation and all thats involved plus their furniture moving in, we declined it.
I really think that after the expense of purchase,if that income is essential to you,its better not to have bought to start with as its your investment but its immediately thrown open to risk from other angles plus a large element of lack of control.
Terry the Celt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 10:22   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 1,044 Times in 257 Posts
petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of

Second that Terry n Susan

We toyed with the idea, but put it to bed, after weighing up all the extra work we were giving ourselves, and also thinking what could happen to our nice flat/furniture etc.

Heard from a couple in May, their turkish "friend" had rented their flat to 2 Australian guys without their knowledge, they had wild parties till 4/5 in the morning (sometimes as many as 30 people in flat) every night for three months, when they arrived everyone was giving them dirty looks etc, thinking they knew of the lease, also their flat was an absolute nightmare.

Needless to say they no longer have their turkish friend.

Cheers Peter
petermcintosh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 16:43   #4 (permalink)

sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of

We offered a years rent in advance and a large deposit. As far as renting out to a couple of single lads or lasses goes, i think they were asking for trouble. We are a responsible middle aged couple and i think that makes a huge difference in respect of having your property looked after.

Sharon
sharon and eric is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 17:01   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 5,312 Times in 2,140 Posts
Terry the Celt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon and eric
We offered a years rent in advance and a large deposit. As far as renting out to a couple of single lads or lasses goes, i think they were asking for trouble. We are a responsible middle aged couple and i think that makes a huge difference in respect of having your property looked after.

Sharon
You can vet the proposed tenant all you want but the fact remains that you never know until they are in your home and have taken the place over.
When we went to all the effort and expense to find our foreign home,we are so proud of our place and how we furnished it that we cant understand how people can let strangers live in it for such modest sums of money.

I have heard of tales of owners doing people favours and allowing them to live in it but having all sorts of trouble and ultimately being let down by them such as non payment of rent,moving girlfriends in etc and being forced to leave!
Just our opinion of the idea even though a years rent in advance is very generous and obviously you are model tenants.

Last edited by Terry the Celt; 10th July 2007 at 17:10..
Terry the Celt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 17:17   #6 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Long term rental pitfalls?

Yes I've often thought about the implications of someone squatting in your property in Turkey.

Sometimes I think it's a shame that my place is lying empty for about 44 weeks of the year but I would be very worried about renting it out long term.

Is it a court action to remove someone from your property in Turkey or do the police/jandarma just boot them out?

C
ceemac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 20:11   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,933 Posts
Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute

There are legal procedures to follow but I doubt if they are quick and easy, I had to get my money back from a 'friend' which took months of legal procedures and cost a fair amount.

So although there are legal processes, just like any country they are not worth the hassle unless you really have no other choice, and are not in a hurry.

Tags
long , pitfalls , rental , term