Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 29th August 2008, 23:13   #11 (permalink)

jillandtrev is on a distinguished road
Re: Import regulations

It all depends on what mood the customs officer is in.
I have a list somewhere, ie 32 inch tv 120 euros ect, and i'll post it when i dig it out.
But through experience its best to allow a extra couple of hundred quid on duties just for the basics.
jillandtrev is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 19:18   #12 (permalink)

Barbles is a jewel in the rough Barbles is a jewel in the rough Barbles is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Import regulations

We have just moved to Altinkum after having had a property here for just over 2 years. After all the bad reports on the subject of importing goods to Turkey we almost did not bother but are glad we did as we had absolutely no bother at all. We used a company in the uk called Arrowpak and they collected and packed our goods just before we came out. Delivery was by road and took just over a week but we still had to go to Izmir to deal with the customs and give power of attorney to the Turkish delivery agents. As we had owned the property here for 2 years but not lived here for more than 180 days in those 2 years we did NOT have to pay tax except on the banderol item we had (stereo system) which was the minimum charge of 180 euros and that was all??!! We had the choice of paying the taxes and then claiming them back or waiting while the port checked that we qualified in the 180 day rule and then had delivery. We chose to wait because we did not want to have to try to claim the tax back and it was only 10 days. The local agent called us on the friday to advise of how much we had to pay, we paid that into their account on monday and had the goods delivered on wednesday. All correct and undamaged and also with all boxes NOT opened and checked. One stipulation of import is that the goods are NOT packed by the customer and have the manifest of goods clear and showing the details of any electrical items on that list. They are not interested in electrical items except the banderol goods i.e. computers TVs stereos etc as we had a Dyson cleaner in our goods. Also CDS and a lot of vinyl records plus paintings, ornaments and kitchen ware. Also a tool box with assorted non electrical tools. You DO have to have paperwork from the British Embassy to give the port permission to check your stay in Turkey is less than the 180 days but our Turkish company did that we just had to sign the papers. We did'nt have any furniture or white goods except an office chair, shoe rack, clothes airer and a washing basket. There was a minimum charge for delivery by Arrowpak of 90 cu metres so we filled the space up with some things we had not intended to send to use the space. We had been quoted 10/11 weeks delivery by sea by Pickfords at the same cost or a little bit more with the cost of insurance etc which would have meant having the goods picked up a couple of months prior to us leaving the uk because goods have to be in Turkey within a month of the owner arriving here or you have to go out and back in to get the passport stamped again. Just thought anyone thinking of bringing their goods with them should hear about the good experiences for a change !! and make people aware of the 180 day/2 year rule as we only found out by chance.

Les
Barbles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barbles For This Useful Post:
A&P (6th November 2011), scotssteve (25th October 2011), ShirleyBurley (24th October 2011)
Old 24th October 2011, 19:55   #13 (permalink)

ShirleyBurley is just really nice ShirleyBurley is just really nice ShirleyBurley is just really nice ShirleyBurley is just really nice ShirleyBurley is just really nice

Thanks for that good news. I am still arranging my shipment. Can I just question your 90 cubic metres. I am shipping 18 cubic meters and the lowest quote I have at the moment is 3500 by road. I would love to know how much 90 cubic meters cost.
ShirleyBurley is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 19:53   #14 (permalink)

Thanked 3,928 Times in 1,531 Posts
scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for most helpful post, I'm sure that anyone thinking of coming this direction will find it positive and useful.
Its allways a benefit to share good experiences as well - it balances out some of the bad ones and reminds us that life need not be more trying here than in the UK.

You clearly chose well and got things done in the right order - so well done to you!
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:05   #15 (permalink)

daniel ebdon is on a distinguished road

can you import tablets and vitamins for example instead of buying a product called tribestan from gitigidiyor for 100tl i can get the same on ebay uk for 10 pounds!!! could i then have it sent here without customs stopping it getting to me?
daniel ebdon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 15:22   #16 (permalink)

shimmer is on a distinguished road

We are buying a property and moving to Turkey next June. Do we need a residents permit and the deeds to our property before we can import our possessions? If this is the case then it seems that we may have to live out of a suitcase for several weeks.
shimmer is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 15:36   #17 (permalink)

Thanked 5,289 Times in 1,956 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel ebdon View Post
can you import tablets and vitamins for example instead of buying a product called tribestan from gitigidiyor for 100tl i can get the same on ebay uk for 10 pounds!!! could i then have it sent here without customs stopping it getting to me?
Depends on how lucky you are, what area you are in, how the Customs people feel on the day etc etc.

I have a friend who had some vitamins delivered from the UK. The parcel was held at customs at Fethiye where he had to make the 120kms return journey. He had to open them and show them the vitamins and the ingredient sheet (obviously in English). They then insisted he take one box to the local hospital, have it analysed and a report written in Turkish! At that stage they released the package to him.

Suffice to say he now get friends/relatives to bring them over!!!
So, the answer to your question is Yes you can order them and yes you will get them...but be prepared for hassle if they get stopped at Customs!
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 19:14   #18 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 4,175 Times in 2,008 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer View Post
We are buying a property and moving to Turkey next June. Do we need a residents permit and the deeds to our property before we can import our possessions? If this is the case then it seems that we may have to live out of a suitcase for several weeks.
The answer is Yes!!
Old 11th December 2011, 20:47   #19 (permalink)

partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice

I used Doree Bonner when I cam 2 years ago also trouble free - it cam by sea and I had to go to Izmir. I was over the 90 days in the year had been here longer than a month as I had to get residency when I arrived and in those days it wasn't processed locally - I had to do a day trip to Greece a to ger a new visa stamp a few days before I went to Izmir. I shipped some furniture but mostly boxes of clothes and ornaments, CDs , books my desk top computer and printer, music system and things I couldn't bear to be parted from - 40 boxes in total - a mix of tea chest and 1/2 tea chest size - 1640 - I thought that was reasonable. I wish I had packed more kitchen stuff but I had't realised how expensive things like saucepans and mixers and things were. Things I am glad I packed and couldn't live without - my slow cooker,my George Forman Grill and my hand held mixer.
partypixie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:18   #20 (permalink)

shimmer is on a distinguished road

Thank you
shimmer is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
import , regulations