Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th August 2019, 21:49   #1 (permalink)

gam101 is on a distinguished road
Smile My turn: importing house stuff to Turkey :-)

Ola folks!

I guess the title says it all

Our time to plan for moving our household things to Turkey. I've read the Sticky "Importing Household Goods From Abroad" & realized that it is not a simple process (like juggling for example ), but not impossible either.

And yes, I did read someone's post; "my advice to anyone would be, come with nothing, buy everything here and sell it all and go out with nothing."

That said, I would like/hope to bring books, toys, clothes (jackets) some kitchen utensils/electrical items like blender, grill, amongst other home goods (ALL USED).

At most I am thinking of a single palette with 8 boxes imported into Turkey.

Correct if I am wrong please; Flat-screen (used ones) are a big no-no unless you want to pay tax.

The question I have;

Is there a broker that someone can recommend who can help with customs clearance in Istanbul & deliver goods to the door? (hopefully not someone too expensive)

Lastly, any general advice for packing, importing would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
gam101 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 6th August 2019, 05:12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 9,552 Times in 3,591 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My turn: importing house stuff to Turkey :-)

I see you live in Kuwait, so giving UK links is not much use, but the Turkey contact I would recommend is Soyer - https://soyer.com.tr/en/ - a long time since I used them, but very professional company.

They will advise a company to use at your end, I am sure, and they will deal with everything at the Turkey end, including Customs, and then deliver to your home.

You need an address in Turkey for this.

I would strongly disagree with the idea of coming with nothing. Bring everything that is part of your life - books, pictures, ornaments, furniture. They are part of your life and, in my case, have sentimental value which is needed when setting up a new life. If I had realised how cheap it was I would have brought more, not less. If no sentimental or real value then ditch it.

Yes, ditch the TV. Taxes and duty is high on imports.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
35pluschips (6th August 2019), gam101 (6th August 2019), Harem (6th August 2019), janm (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019, 05:51   #3 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,457 Times in 6,416 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

When we came from Kuwait we used Al Ghanim. They were superb, very little hassle in Turkey, they booked agents to deal with it all, delivered to our door not cheap but what price peace of mind?. no breakages, except for the tea glass that the driver broke when having tea after delivery, and i will forgive him that. We brought the whole house, stereo, TV, microwave etc. We did have to pay tax but it wasn't outrageous.

Last edited by IbrahimAbi; 6th August 2019 at 05:56..
IbrahimAbi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IbrahimAbi For This Useful Post:
gam101 (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019, 09:03   #4 (permalink)

davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough

Like Immac, we also used Soyer, and found them excellent. Price was reasonable and they were very helpful and practical at all stages of the importation. Anything electronic was taxed heavily, and is better not imported. Also, customs insisted on taxing my normal DIY stuff (pillar drill, angle grinders, welders, scaffold tower, etc) at a higher commercial tax rate, as they said these were not normal domestic items. (I explained that in the UK most households would have such items, but customs were adamant.)
This all relates to one full container imported 11 years ago into Izmir.

Good luck,
David
davem is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davem For This Useful Post:
gam101 (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019, 11:16   #5 (permalink)

ibmc is on a distinguished road

Another thumbs up for Soyer from me too - very good to work with. We moved last October, so a bit more of a recent recommendation.
ibmc is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibmc For This Useful Post:
gam101 (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019, 17:51   #6 (permalink)

Much obliged folks! I will try to reach out to Soyer & hopefully get a quote.

Appreciate the reminder also that TV should be excluded. I know I need our address, resident permit, and our lease agreement prior to importing our stuff. If anyone can think of anything else that may benefit, please feel free to share.

Thank you, again.
gam101 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 18:15   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,050 Posts
REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute

- Noterised passport
- Turkish residence permit or application letter Müracaat belgesi proving that you have applied for residency
- Tax number or Foreigner ID number
- Inventory list
- Application letter to the customs authority (signed by applicant)
- Title deed/Tenancy agreement (notarized copy) or company letter
- Power of attorney issued by a Turkish notary public authorising the mover and their customs consultants to perform the necessary formalities at the - - - customs (it is strongly advisable to give POA, because otherwise you will have to be present at the customs in person and carry out the formalities yourself)

It is not expected that you list every fork or every glass. When the goods are packed the parcels should be numbered and labelled with general terms like ‘kitchen’, ‘linen’, ‘children’s clothes’. The list should show the parcel numbers and the summary of their contents. Big items like arm-chairs, cupboards, beds should be listed individually.

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to REDDERS For This Useful Post:
gam101 (6th August 2019), IbrahimAbi (6th August 2019), kemerkid (6th August 2019), shash (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019, 22:16   #8 (permalink)

Excellent! Thank you!

Questions please:

1) How/where do I get a "Tax number or Foreigner ID number" ?

2) Does the "Application letter to the customs authority" need to be in Turkish? I'm assuming this is similar to the "Power of Attorney".

And this is hilarious (and true): "Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDERS View Post
- Noterised passport
- Turkish residence permit or application letter Müracaat belgesi proving that you have applied for residency
- Tax number or Foreigner ID number
- Inventory list
- Application letter to the customs authority (signed by applicant)
- Title deed/Tenancy agreement (notarized copy) or company letter
- Power of attorney issued by a Turkish notary public authorising the mover and their customs consultants to perform the necessary formalities at the - - - customs (it is strongly advisable to give POA, because otherwise you will have to be present at the customs in person and carry out the formalities yourself)

It is not expected that you list every fork or every glass. When the goods are packed the parcels should be numbered and labelled with general terms like ‘kitchen’, ‘linen’, ‘children’s clothes’. The list should show the parcel numbers and the summary of their contents. Big items like arm-chairs, cupboards, beds should be listed individually.
Old 7th August 2019, 19:23   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,050 Posts
REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gam...

The application letter to the customs authority needs to be in Turkish.

Tax number from your local tax office,just take your passport & a photocopy of the picture/info page.

Yabanci Kimlik Number is obtained from your GOC office where you had your RP application interview.
Docs. required may vary depending on the GOC officer who deals with you but usually..

You’ll need to have your passport + 1 photocopy,
2 biometric ‘head’ photos
FULL official address [rental contract or Tapu and the reason why you want the kimlik number.
You’ll fill out a form in English and maybe have a photo taken. Then you hand it in.
Then return to the office 48 to 72 hours later and they give you your kimlik number on a piece of paper.

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REDDERS For This Useful Post:
gam101 (7th August 2019), IbrahimAbi (7th August 2019), shash (8th August 2019)
Old 7th August 2019, 19:46   #10 (permalink)

Thank you sir Redders. You could have been more clear on how to acquire it. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDERS View Post
Hi gam...

The application letter to the customs authority needs to be in Turkish.

Tax number from your local tax office,just take your passport & a photocopy of the picture/info page.

Yabanci Kimlik Number is obtained from your GOC office where you had your RP application interview.
Docs. required may vary depending on the GOC officer who deals with you but usually..

You’ll need to have your passport + 1 photocopy,
2 biometric ‘head’ photos
FULL official address [rental contract or Tapu and the reason why you want the kimlik number.
You’ll fill out a form in English and maybe have a photo taken. Then you hand it in.
Then return to the office 48 to 72 hours later and they give you your kimlik number on a piece of paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to gam101 For This Useful Post:
REDDERS (8th August 2019)

Tags
house , importing , stuff , turkey , turn