FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > Indian Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2010, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
anybody know a recipe for Chicken Dhansak

Chicken Dhansak
i had a chicken Dhansak in the UK and im obsessing over it...it was so delicious
and i had Naan bread with almonds inside
help...is it easy to make?
The one i had was hot sweet and spicey in just the right combo...drool
Old 29th August 2010, 18:03   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,169 Times in 678 Posts
mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future
Re: anybody know a recipe for

would imagine there are a few online.
Old 29th August 2010, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
in my own clique

Thanked 8,445 Times in 3,332 Posts
hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute hijo has a reputation beyond repute

..you will get it on Videojug - Get Good At Life. The world’s best how to videos plus free expert advice and tutorials. just type into search what you want to see ..:
shirleyanntr (30th August 2010)
Old 29th August 2010, 18:11   #4 (permalink)

Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice

Hi Shirley,

Chicken dansak is our favourite curry from the takeaway, we ordered 4 actually on friday, and we have it with a pershwari nan which is coconut, I wish I could cook a curry like the takeaway but its never the same is it.

As you said it is hot, sweet and sour and I know its got lentils in it.

Jane
Janeavsallar is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janeavsallar For This Useful Post:
Old 29th August 2010, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
R.I.P

shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

i was actually taking the easy way...yes Keith i know how to google...

.but i was hoping tha New Horizon would drop by and tell me hah

thanks for the link Hijo super site for all sorts of stuff.
mrkeith (29th August 2010)
Old 29th August 2010, 19:38   #6 (permalink)

nwclio will become famous soon enough nwclio will become famous soon enough

1 oz split red lentils, picked over for little stones and washed in a sieve
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into bite sized cubes
4 cloves
the seeds of 2 whole green cardamon pods - just cut the pods open with a knife and take out the seeds
for a hot curry 4-8 whole small dried chillies (Bird's Eye or Thai Hots) - omit if you want a medium curry
half teaspoon ground cumin seed
half teaspoon turmeric
half teaspoon ground coriander seed
half teaspoon hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon paprika
half a batch of Basic Curry Sauce - about 4 fl oz
salt to taste
(optional) 1 teaspoon methi (dried fenugreek) leaves, washed in a sieve then left moist for at least 10 minutes.

Its one I use with mixed veg for a veggie option as the lentils and potatoes go great together but chicken is also tasty!
shirleyanntr (29th August 2010)
Old 30th August 2010, 04:32   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of
Re: anybody know a recipe for Chicken Dhansak

Here is a good site for you Shirley, got loads of good stuff on there, tried most of the recipies.

The Curry House.

I have also got a good curry sauce which has almonds in it and it is quick and easy to make let me know if you would like it and I will email it to you.
Susan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:
Old 30th August 2010, 09:33   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P

Re: anybody know a recipe for Chicken Dhansak

yes thanks Susan...i love rice with nuts and other stuff in too
what about Arab cooking..you must have some great food in Doha..there was once a thread..years ago..about Felafel chick pea patties..
Old 31st August 2010, 10:06   #9 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyanntr View Post

.but i was hoping tha New Horizon would drop by and tell me hah
Believe it or not I've never made the Dhansak dishes you are referring to, that have become popular in Curry houses throughout Europe. I know its typically made up of meat and lentils.
It is originally a Parsi dish and seems to be a mixture of Gujarati (hence the sweetness of the dish!) and non-vegetarian Iranian cuisine. I think the Dhansak recipes served in the restaurants would be slightly sweeter than found in regional parts of India.

Dhan =lentils Sak= vegetables usually always with the lamb or chicken, though in Europe they would have created vegetarian versions of the dish to cater for vegetarians.

As for the taste the 'sourness' would be achieved by using tamarind and sweetness with either sugar, and/or mace, cinnamon and nutmeg.

I don't have a recipe for chicken or any dhansak, but here's one I found on the net like others have posted here -

"Ingredients:
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
• 1 cup mixed lentils
• 500 gms chicken pieces (skinned and cut into bite sized cubes)
• half litre chicken stock
• 1″ piece cinnamon
• 6 cloves
• Half tbsp cumin seeds
• Half tbsp coriander seeds
• 7 black peppercorns
• 3 large bay leaves
• 1 star anise
• Half tsp sesame seeds
• 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
• One tsp turmeric powder
• 2 dry red chillies
• Half tsp fenugreek seeds
• Small bunch of mint leaves
• One large bunch of fresh coriander leaves
• One large bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves
• 1 tbsp of ginger paste
• 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
• 1 tbsp of garlic paste
• Salt to taste
Method :
1. Wash the lentils and put them in a pan of cold water. Boil them with salt and turmeric for 10 minutes and while the lentils are getting cooked, take off any scum that comes on the top. Add chicken stock, salt to taste and boil till the lentils are soft approximately for further 20 minutes. Whisk the lentils to get a smooth soup-like consistency. If the pan runs dry, add a little water and set it aside.
2. As the lentils are being cooked, dry roast all the spices (except the turmeric and nutmeg) till they begin to release their aroma.* Grind to a fine powder and mix in the turmeric and nutmeg. Blend it well and keep aside. You can store this powder in air-tight containers for later use too.
3. Fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat in a large heavy frying pan.* Fry them until they are sealed and have turned white. Set aside after removing from pan.
4. Stir-fry the fresh coriander, fenugreek and mint leaves in a pan on a medium flame in a little oil. Fry till becomes soft and remove from the fire. Grind into a smooth paste after it is properly cool.
5. Heat a deep, heavy-bottomed pan. Add the whole chillies and fry until they start to swell. Add the dry spice powder, coriander-mint-fenugreek paste you made earlier and garlic-ginger-tamarind paste.* Add a cup of water, the lentils, the chicken pieces and salt if needed.* Simmer the curry until the chicken is done. It takes approximately 25- 30 minutes.
6. Take care not to burn the spices otherwise the dish will lack flavor and taste bitter. And stir it frequently to prevent from sticking.
7. Serve Chicken Dhansak hot with Brown Rice and cucumber sala
d."

The recipe above uses mixed lentils but for your ease and availabilty of lentils I'd stick to using masoor dal (red lentils) i,e the commonly available orange lentils (easy cook) in Turkey and all UK supermarkets.

another recipe is here:
which is the indian version of it -i.e. how you would find it served in India, the comments from Users also appear to be from India so they would not be comparing it to a 'curry' -which could be entirely different from the commercial UK restaurants.

DOLON'S FOOD & LIFE: Hot Weekend Lunch - Lamb/Mutton Dhansak

I would say where possible make your own masala/sauce unless you've found a commercial sauce labelled 'dhansak' I sense the Indian recipes may be a bit different to the Curry house ones in terms of whole spices used and blended but the essence of meat + lentil with sweet+ sour taste should still be the same.

Sorry, don't have a Dhansak recipe of my own or one I've tried. If I make one will let you know how it goes, but think I would need to taste the one from the Curry houses first to see how regional variations of this dish differ.

Let us know how you get on. Happy Cooking!
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
shirleyanntr (31st August 2010)

Tags
chicken , dhansak , recipe