FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > Indian Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:45   #1 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Base curry gravy/sauce

As much as we try to make a decent curry we can never get it to taste like an Indian takeaway. Until NOW.

Off YouTube I sorted out a recipe (lost the link) & this one really works, the problem is even though it has all the taste, looks & consistency, it is a "curry base/gravy". The question I have is how to progress with it? The fact that its a curry base suggests I either start with it or add it in at some stage. I have googled "how to use a base curry" ect & find nothing, so I am asking if there are chefs or good cooks on here who can advise.

I am not looking for curry recipes, just when do I used the base curry gravy/sauce? I have over the years used various jars, packets ect & to be honest they have all been OK but "just not Carling".

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
TNT123 (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:26   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Base curry gravy/sauce

seal your meat and-or veg ın a bıt of oıl--use ghee ıf you want to be authentıc--add curry sauce and sımmer---or after sealıng meat put ın casserole dısh wıth curry sauce and bung ın the oven for a couple of hours or do same but use a slow cooker--ıs that what you mean?A nıce barbecue or cook ın sauce ıs 1 jar of chınese curry sauce mıxed wıth 1 jar bolognese sauce--bıt of tomato paste ıf you thınk ıt needs ıt.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
Kingfisher (22nd September 2014), Spurs (22nd September 2014), TNT123 (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:38   #3 (permalink)
Spurs

Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibris View Post
seal your meat and-or veg ın a bıt of oıl--use ghee ıf you want to be authentıc--add curry sauce and sımmer---or after sealıng meat put ın casserole dısh wıth curry sauce and bung ın the oven for a couple of hours or do same but use a slow cooker--ıs that what you mean?A nıce barbecue or cook ın sauce ıs 1 jar of chınese curry sauce mıxed wıth 1 jar bolognese sauce--bıt of tomato paste ıf you thınk ıt needs ıt.
That's about it (I think). The actual "base sauce" is mild, but the on the clip the guy listed off all the curries it was good for. Balti, madras, bhuna, covered just about every curry that we eat. Obviously just add various spices or chillies to get the flavour of each curry.
What surprised me was the lack of actual spices for the base & how it came out.............well pleased.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:49   #4 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

If your not famılıar wıth ghee ıts just clarıfıed butter and ıf you google HEALTH BENEFITS OF GHEE you wıll fınd that ıts much healthıer than usıng oıl and people use ıt medicınally as ıts chok full of vıtamıns.It wıll also gıve your curry a rıcher taste.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
JanetClarke (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:04   #5 (permalink)
Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibris View Post
If your not famılıar wıth ghee ıts just clarıfıed butter and ıf you google HEALTH BENEFITS OF GHEE you wıll fınd that ıts much healthıer than usıng oıl and people use ıt medicınally as ıts chok full of vıtamıns.It wıll also gıve your curry a rıcher taste.
Yes I know about ghee. The health side of it is a surprise. To be honest with you I indulge in ALL things that are ultra unhealthy :-)

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:30   #6 (permalink)
From"Gods Own Country"

Thanked 10,615 Times in 3,457 Posts
pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly if Asian people are making a curry, be fish, meat or vegetables, they make a masala , which is all the spices and flavourings of the base curry. They then marinade the fish, meat or veg in the masala prior to cooking to get the flavour into what ever they are using.
Google masala and you should get your curry base.
www.holycowvegan.net/diy-spice-mixes

Last edited by pepperkat; 22nd September 2014 at 12:46..
pepperkat is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepperkat For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:39   #7 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 20,150 Times in 8,697 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

We have worked in various Indian/Pakistani kitchens they all seem to make a fairly bland base sauce and then add the spices to suit from the many spice pots often seen above the cooking range. The best tip I ever got was never, never use English onions as they are far to strong and will ruin the sauce, always use sweet/mild onions, our local pub had a full Indian restaurant in, linsey got the base sauce recipe off the chef and he gave us a little brown paper bag of the correct spices to use to make a korma, it was just like it was from their kitchen.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Akasya (22nd September 2014), JanetClarke (22nd September 2014)
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:44   #8 (permalink)
Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperkat View Post
Mostly if Asian people are making a curry, be fish, meat or vegetables, they make a masala , which is all the spices and flavourings of the base curry. They then marinade the fish, meat or veg in the masala prior to cooking to get the flavour into what ever they are using.
Google masala and you should get your curry base.
Still looking for the clip but................

I have used masala before & this recipe had none of it, I did use about five different spices but to be honest that's what masala is. The bulk of this was onions & I mean bulk.

Back to trying to find the clip.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:03   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 10,522 Times in 4,217 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

How about this one Spurs?, it has a lot of onion in the base! looks good to me

Make a Indian restaurant Newcastle curry sauce | Modern Tandoori
tintagel is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tintagel For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:11   #10 (permalink)
Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
How about this one Spurs?, it has a lot of onion in the base! looks good to me

Make a Indian restaurant Newcastle curry sauce | Modern Tandoori

That is the recipe, except I never used the ghee. The one on YouTube was an English guy doing it in his own kitchen. Never again will I buy a jar of curry paste but I will continue to use takeaways..............

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
JanetClarke (22nd September 2014), tintagel (22nd September 2014)

Tags
base , curry , gravy or sauce