FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About You > Introduce yourself

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2014, 17:25   #1 (permalink)

xeine1974 is on a distinguished road
Hi All new member and looking to buy in Turkey

Hi All,

recently joined the site after looking at quite a few threads and noticed many people do like to try and help.

having turned 40 and just ventured into Turkey last year after all those people saying "I wouldn't go there full of perverts etc" I can say it was excellent trip beautiful area and had a great time that wasn't out of budget compared to other countries we have visited.

we rented a villa in Dalman for our party of 10 which was lovely and rural and had help and lifts from a local guy which didn't cost an arm and leg. we visited Dalyan a few times done the market and boat trips went to Gocek (may be incorrect spelling) done the boat trips went to Fethiye market and water park and spent a few days there.

we loved it so much we are considering buying a property out there for family holidays and potentially renting out for a few months.

I am after some advise please and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

having visited the areas above and considering possibly Fethiye area as a location can anyone advice me on other areas we should take a visit. I don't want to be too far from airport flown in to Dalman last year the villa was on the door step. so traveling upto 1 hour max can you advise other areas that would be worth a visit. don't want to be far from beech if possible although buying slightly out of this area may be cheaper option.

many thanks for your time and thanks for accepting me as a member I look forward to using the site more and possibly helping others in the future.

Regards
Ian
xeine1974 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 25th November 2014, 17:39   #2 (permalink)

Andrew and Mary is just really nice Andrew and Mary is just really nice Andrew and Mary is just really nice Andrew and Mary is just really nice Andrew and Mary is just really nice
Re: Hi All new member and looking to buy in Turkey

Hi Ian and welcome to TLF. Yep, you are right....lots of helpful folk on here. You asked for advice so please don't be put off if you don't quite like the advice given. Some of it may sound very negative but it is given from experience. If you have read threads you will be aware that there are many pitfalls to be wary of. That said, we bought a place in Akbuk which is a little way from Altinkum and we love it. If I had my time again I think I would have spent more time looking at different areas. And it is a very good idea to buy resale with ALL the paperwork in place.
Enjoy TLF and enjoy looking for a place in Turkey.

M

xx
suecheshireuk (26th November 2014)
Old 25th November 2014, 17:45   #3 (permalink)

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your reply.

Agree with your comments some advise seems decent some advise seems a bit harsh what I have been reading haha but you are right. we have only been the once last year so probably haven't seen the gem areas but loved the people the cost of living seemed responsible although that may have increased over the years.

why do you recommend to buy resale it that for all the paper work to be in place or better deals to be had that way ?

can you recommend any websites, I have searched google and plenty on there just unsure who is decent or where to find best bargains.

regards
Ian
xeine1974 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 17:51   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,027 Posts
Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian. Welcome to TLF. I'm glad you've found the forum of interest. There is certainly plenty of advice on here so you should find the information you're looking for.

You need to decide how rural you want to be - will you have your own transport or rely on public transport? How near to the shops do you want to be? That house half way up a mountain may look very attractive but how far are you prepared to travel for a loaf of bread and a carton of milk? If you want to let the property out you'll need to find a location that would appeal to others and which is easily accessible. Although there are some bargains for car hire not everyone would be happy to drive over here although once you get used to it it's not as daunting as it first appears.

Are you looking for a new build, resale or renovation project? There is plenty of advice on here about buying off plan. Do you want a resort? If so, be aware that many close down almost entirely at the end of October and remain so until the new season starts the following year.

Fethiye is mostly all year round and some of us prefer it out of season. Most shops and businesses stay open and it's only the touristic part of town in Paspatur that tends to shut although some businesses there will be open all year. Do you speak any Turkish? If not, you may prefer to be somewhere handy to fellow expats.

How will you arrange to maintain your property when it is empty? You could buy on a site but then you may find yourself paying increasing charges for maintenance and be governed by site rules.

It might be good to draw up a "shopping list" of what you want and what your budget both for initial outlay and also for ongoing costs will be.

Lake Koycegiz is a beautiful place as are some of the surrounding villages but I don't know what the infrastructure is like out of season.

Gocek is lovely but at the higher end of the market because of the Marina there.

Have you thought of looking at a map of the area around Dalaman and moving outwards? Google the places that you find and if any appeal to you look on google maps or similar for driving distances to Dalaman as a rough guide

Beware of rogue emlaks (agents) - there are plenty of horror stories on here. Not everyone has problems - many of us have bought without a hitch but don't be caught by the waiter/barman whoever who knows someone, who knows someone or who has a cousin..... etc. etc. If it sounds too good, it probably is! Ask around. Find a reliable agent and a good lawyer. Ask members on here for recommendations.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the search.

Carolyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 17:58   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,857 Posts
tosmur has disabled reputation

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum
tosmur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 17:58   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 11,916 Times in 4,391 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Lake Koycegiz is a beautiful place as are some of the surrounding villages but I don't know what the infrastructure is like out of season.
The same as 'in season' because none of it shuts 'out of season'.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 10:50   #7 (permalink)

howardian has a spectacular aura about howardian has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. hope you find whot you are looking for .
howardian is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 11:56   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Howardian
Old 26th November 2014, 11:57   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Tosmur
Old 26th November 2014, 11:57   #10 (permalink)

thanks Bickern

Tags
buy , member , turkey