FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About You > Introduce yourself

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2015, 21:53   #1 (permalink)

Aicomms is on a distinguished road
Hi to all from Aicomms (Ash), contemplating if I should buy a Holiday Home in Turkey

Hi All,
I live in the sunny Birmingham (UK) and planning a trip to Turkey in the next week or so, mainly for a family holiday but to also look for a getaway retreat for the family (wife and 2 kids 6 & 4).

I have a relative who has a Villa in Sogucak and was thinking of something close to there but Didim sounds appealing too.

I have been in contact with an agent over the past few weeks and he has a couple of viewings lined up in the Didim area and there's an apartment I really like the look of in Mavisehir.

So I guess what would be useful is recommendations, where to or not to buy, and more importantly is now a good time to buy......

Any advise welcome.

Many Thanks
Ash
Aicomms is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aicomms For This Useful Post:
Spurs (15th August 2015), Sunny Seasider (14th August 2015)
Old 14th August 2015, 23:15   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi to all from Aicomms (Ash), contemplating if I should buy a Holiday Home in Tur

Welcome to the forum Ash. You have come to the right place for advice on buying a Turkish property and it's good you have someone already there to guide you. My advice is search this forum for answers and don't be afraid to ask, there is a mine of information amongst us members. Good luck with your search and fingers crossed for a smooth and safe buying process. Please keep us updated because we are also a nosy bunch.
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanamo For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (14th August 2015)
Old 14th August 2015, 23:33   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 7,444 Times in 3,070 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi to all from Aicomms (Ash), contemplating if I should buy a Holiday Home in Tur

If you are not well versed in the Turkish ways I would suggest renting for a few holidays before you decide.

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
Akasya (15th August 2015), easylife (15th August 2015), oldfogy (15th August 2015), Sunny Seasider (14th August 2015), suzyq (15th August 2015), tintagel (15th August 2015)
Old 14th August 2015, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,125 Times in 10,000 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from me too, good advice above.
Old 15th August 2015, 00:49   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the speedy welcome and advise.
I intend to spend a couple of days in Sogucak and then up to Cesme, back down to Altinkum / Didim and finally a couple of days in Bodrum before we fly back. I hope this will give me a feel of the different areas along the Aegean coast. I'm no Turk but familiar with the culture and have visited a couple of times.
I've been reading posts in the forum for a while now and picked up some very useful / invaluable info trawling through the threads. Correct me if I'm wrong but property is and has been depreciating over the past few years and the value of TL is at its low with no sign of turning any time soon....... So on that basis is it a good time to invest in Turkey?
There's also a couple of things on my mind about the actual process of buying an apartment in a new complex (Military Clearance not required as already done by others living in the complex?) that has 1 apartment left..... The agent advertises on 2 of the largest realtor sites in the UK, Zoopla and RightMove and what he has said to date sort of checks out - being in business for 10y, family run biz, legit website with a couple of offices, no upfront fee (3% on completion also negotiable) etc etc.... So q's I have are and on the info advised - do I take cash to the Tapu office to exchange ownership? Does the Tapu man validate all the documents for me? (confirm the docs are legit) If he does do I need a solicitor? The agent is telling me we can complete within a day but what do I need to have in place, verified and vetted before hand and by who? If I should go with a solicitor can anyone recommend one in the Kusadasi or Didim area? I picked up Meral Dalkilic (Kusadasi) from one of the threads. Can anyone validate the Akbuk based (and offices in Didim and Kusadasi) agent?
Value all opinions as it gives me food for thought!!

Last edited by Aicomms; 15th August 2015 at 00:53..
Aicomms is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 08:23   #6 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 25,524 Times in 11,020 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

From someone who lives ( part time ) in the Bodrum area , be aware that the traffic is a nightmare , just getting around has become insufferable at times.

Bodrum is lovely , the surrounding environs can be a delight , but the moving around has taken on a tedium that is spoiling a lovely town.

Even what was sleepy little Yalikavak now is a traffic hot spot , the main roundabout at the top of town resembles a no go area at times.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 09:51   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Steve, Ill keep that in mind. I definitely don't want to send my trip siting in a congested car carpark at a roundabout.
Aicomms is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 10:47   #8 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 5,385 Times in 2,480 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic in Bodrum and surroundings is unbearable in August, and we left 10 years ago. we used to dread the arrival of August.
IbrahimAbi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 11:18   #9 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,611 Times in 13,088 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aicomms View Post
Thanks for the speedy welcome and advise.
I intend to spend a couple of days in Sogucak and then up to Cesme, back down to Altinkum / Didim and finally a couple of days in Bodrum before we fly back. I hope this will give me a feel of the different areas along the Aegean coast. I'm no Turk but familiar with the culture and have visited a couple of times.
I've been reading posts in the forum for a while now and picked up some very useful / invaluable info trawling through the threads. Correct me if I'm wrong but property is and has been depreciating over the past few years and the value of TL is at its low with no sign of turning any time soon....... So on that basis is it a good time to invest in Turkey?
There's also a couple of things on my mind about the actual process of buying an apartment in a new complex (Military Clearance not required as already done by others living in the complex?) that has 1 apartment left..... The agent advertises on 2 of the largest realtor sites in the UK, Zoopla and RightMove and what he has said to date sort of checks out - being in business for 10y, family run biz, legit website with a couple of offices, no upfront fee (3% on completion also negotiable) etc etc.... So q's I have are and on the info advised - do I take cash to the Tapu office to exchange ownership? Does the Tapu man validate all the documents for me? (confirm the docs are legit) If he does do I need a solicitor? The agent is telling me we can complete within a day but what do I need to have in place, verified and vetted before hand and by who? If I should go with a solicitor can anyone recommend one in the Kusadasi or Didim area? I picked up Meral Dalkilic (Kusadasi) from one of the threads. Can anyone validate the Akbuk based (and offices in Didim and Kusadasi) agent?
Value all opinions as it gives me food for thought!!
Lived in Akbuk for 8 years (now back in Brum/Solihull). No two ways about it, Akbuk is the tops. Close enough to Altinkum but nowhere near such a fast pace.
Didim to Cesme about a four hour drive. From what I have seen of Cesme (been there three times) its quiet & I reckon plenty holiday there from Izmir. It is handy for the ferry onto a Greek Island (forgot the name), takes about 30 mins.
Recommending an agent? No from this fella, I would never forgive myself if things went wrong. Do your homework once in the area(s). Without a doubt if I was to purchase now it would be direct off the owner (British), I would not use an agent..............of course that's not me knocking ALL agents.......but???

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (15th August 2015), nanamo (15th August 2015), oldfogy (15th August 2015)
Old 15th August 2015, 17:05   #10 (permalink)

easylife is a glorious beacon of light easylife is a glorious beacon of light easylife is a glorious beacon of light easylife is a glorious beacon of light easylife is a glorious beacon of light easylife is a glorious beacon of light

If you are looking for a quiet place forget Cesme. Over the last 10-15 years it has become the playground of the rich in summer and is unbelievably crowded. Because of this prices are high.
I've just moved to Koycegiz to get away from it and a lot of the Brits who used to live there have moved away for one reason or another.
The Greek island near Cesme is Chios.

Rather than look at UK websites look at Turkish websites like Sahibinden.com and Hurriyetemlak.com

Last edited by easylife; 15th August 2015 at 17:08..
easylife is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easylife For This Useful Post:
Spurs (15th August 2015)

Tags
aicomms , ash , buy , contemplating , holiday , home , turkey