Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:57   #1 (permalink)

lurcher666 is on a distinguished road
Neighbourly Love

Hello TLF members. I am hoping for some help and advice with an ongoing problem I have with my Turkish neighbours. I purchased a semi detached villa with shared swimming pool about 3 years ago in Dalyan. I love the house and especially Dalyan which I consider to be my second home. I originally bought the property with the intention of visiting two or three times a year and renting it out at other times. When I met my neighbours, both reasonably young professionals with two children, I thought they were pleasant enough. That was until I told them of my intention to rent out!! He absolutely FORBADE it and long story short, he has done everything in his power to stop me renting. He has sent letters to the tax office saying I am not paying taxes on rentals (havenít had any rentals). The pool pump is on his side of the property and he refuses me or any pool company access to it. I no longer have a swimming pool Ė I have a pond where numerous frogs have taken residence and the noise they make is horrendous, not to mention the despicable state it is in!! I spoke to the local chief of police and he agrees with the neighbours saying that I need their approval to rent out my property for short term lets!! My daughter and her husband now live in the property and take care of it for me. Trying to sell now but who would want a property they canít rent out?
If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do or who I should approach to resolve this somehow, I would be very grateful.
lurcher666 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,260 Times in 2,674 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbourly Love

I can understand his point of view. Living next to a rental property with a shared pool sounds like a nightmare; I would be objecting too.

Make the peace. Admit defeat, get the pool up and running to aid the sale, and get him on your side.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
dandrwilson (3rd August 2016), esb1841 (2nd August 2016), IbrahimAbi (2nd August 2016), LauraB (2nd August 2016), pasty (3rd August 2016), TNT123 (2nd August 2016), villabaris1 (2nd August 2016), yalimart (2nd August 2016)
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:31   #3 (permalink)

Believe me I have Immac. I have told them that I now have no intention of renting and that my daughter and her husband live there full time. I have asked very politely if we can come to an arrangement to have the pool cleaned. (I think you would need to meet my neighbours to get an idea of their personalities) We live in area where we are surrounded by rental properties and I cant understand why someone would choose to live in a property that has the potential to be rented out.
lurcher666 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:43   #4 (permalink)
To Young to be This Old

Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,151 Posts
TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute TNT123 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved ın our present home after sellıng up,my neighbour knocked on the door to ıntroduce hımself and asked ıf we were Renters or Buyers.I told hım none of hıs dam busıness.He has sınce found out we are renters and ıgnore us when we meet.The manager and gardener who we have known for years say's he refuses to have anythıng to do wıth renters.Must thınk he ıs a cut above us eh.Nothıng queerer than folk.
TNT123 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT123 For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (3rd August 2016), Yalides (3rd August 2016)
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,766 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

When we bought our house we thought we were buying in a residential area. We soon learned that most of the houses nearest to us were rented out in the summer, so we suffered the noisy summer visitors and the noisy winter renovations.
bal canavar (3rd August 2016)
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:47   #6 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 5,859 Times in 2,710 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

We lived (as owners) on a site in Bodrum for many years, there were definitely class lines drawn between owners and renters in the eyes of the locals. I am not sure how we, as the only foreigners, but owners, fitted into the ranks.
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:50   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 1,978 Times in 884 Posts
Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future Devil's_Advocate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurcher666 View Post
Hello TLF members. I am hoping for some help and advice with an ongoing problem I have with my Turkish neighbours. I purchased a semi detached villa with shared swimming pool about 3 years ago in Dalyan. I love the house and especially Dalyan which I consider to be my second home. I originally bought the property with the intention of visiting two or three times a year and renting it out at other times. When I met my neighbours, both reasonably young professionals with two children, I thought they were pleasant enough. That was until I told them of my intention to rent out!! He absolutely FORBADE it and long story short, he has done everything in his power to stop me renting. He has sent letters to the tax office saying I am not paying taxes on rentals (havenít had any rentals). The pool pump is on his side of the property and he refuses me or any pool company access to it. I no longer have a swimming pool Ė I have a pond where numerous frogs have taken residence and the noise they make is horrendous, not to mention the despicable state it is in!! I spoke to the local chief of police and he agrees with the neighbours saying that I need their approval to rent out my property for short term lets!! My daughter and her husband now live in the property and take care of it for me. Trying to sell now but who would want a property they canít rent out?
If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do or who I should approach to resolve this somehow, I would be very grateful.
I am very sorry to hear about you predicament. What is exactly, your neighbours objections?
Devil's_Advocate is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,298 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
I am very sorry to hear about you predicament. What is exactly, your neighbours objections?
I can imagine that his objection would be on the grounds of owners in 'most cases' tend to be a lot more respectful and treat their neighbours with consideration, whereas a renter, especially tourist renters some seem to have the attitude that as they are there for just a short space of time any problems or noise they create won't bother them, and then on to the next lot of renters.

However, are you talking about renting to holiday makers or short/long term lets?
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Akasya (3rd August 2016), pasty (3rd August 2016)
Old 3rd August 2016, 03:45   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,260 Times in 2,674 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurcher666 View Post
Believe me I have Immac. I have told them that I now have no intention of renting and that my daughter and her husband live there full time. I have asked very politely if we can come to an arrangement to have the pool cleaned. (I think you would need to meet my neighbours to get an idea of their personalities) We live in area where we are surrounded by rental properties and I cant understand why someone would choose to live in a property that has the potential to be rented out.
With respect, the seeming inability to see his point of view is probably not helping; you are seeing it only from your perspective. I imagine - not knowing anything about your neighbour - that he has invested a lot of money for a quiet life in his family home; you wanted it to be a cash generator and wanted to impose your renters on him and his family even to the point of offering up half of his pool to help your goal; the only weapon/leverage he has is the pool, and he is using that to make his point.
Why he chose to buy there is his business but he is entitled to peace and quiet. A stream of short term renters will not give him that. You could turn your question around and ask why you would assume it would be OK to impose your business plan on him without asking.

I live in a residential block with 5 owner occupiers and one rental: all the low-level agro ( noise, poor garden care, no common area cleaning, pointing gun at other neighbour etc) comes from the renters. The owner who rents to them has no interest other than getting his rent, so anything they do, right up to criminal behaviour, is ignored. Result is that nobody talks to them and they do nothing to contribute to the atmosphere of the block. You can probably see where I am coming from when I say that my sympathy is with your neighbour.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Akasya (3rd August 2016), IbrahimAbi (3rd August 2016), LauraB (3rd August 2016), villabaris1 (3rd August 2016)
Old 3rd August 2016, 08:03   #10 (permalink)

Ian
With equal respect Ian, you have made a fair amount of assumptions about me and my motives. I bought this house in Dalyan because I wanted to have a place to stay when visiting my daughter who is married to a Turk. I eventually plan to retire there. I have invested my life savings in this and hoped to rent out to family and friends to cover the cost of maintenance. So in no way was this bought as a cash generator as you suggest. I would certainly not be renting out to any Tom, Dick or Harry. My garden and home is beautifully tended by my daughter and her husband. I have every sympathy for my neighbour wanting to enjoy a quiet, peaceful life as do I. He has two young daughters who I appreciate he wants to protect from any untoward behaviours.
I have spoken to them at length and tried to explain that this is my home and I want it to be treated with respect and for anyone staying in it to show equal respect to them. I am a very reasonable woman and get on well with most people. I have made every effort to resolve this but my neighbour believes that all Brits are noisy, drunken louts and he has shown nothing but disrespect to me and my family. I have no intention of stating all the things said and done by him but all his neighbours both local and foreign dislike him for his attitude.
lurcher666 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lurcher666 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (3rd August 2016), bal canavar (3rd August 2016), Yalides (3rd August 2016)

Tags
love , neighbourly