Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 29th April 2008, 20:25   #1 (permalink)

scruffeebird is on a distinguished road
Dodgy Characters!

For those people who are coming to kalkan and Kas to buy land or houses, please try to meet other brits to get their opinions and advice before handing over any money. However nice and convincing some turkish estate agents and builders are its very easy to get caught out, we were and now have some big problems!
Anyone is welcome to get in touch, and we will put them in contact with brits who have experianced buying, selling and building. We are hoping by this post we can stop others having the same problems as us.
scruffeebird is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 29th April 2008, 21:08   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dodgy Characters!

Hi Scruffeebird it would be nice if you introduced yourself. Maybe you should have left out the word Turkish. There are other nationalities that will also rip you off if they get the chance.
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 21:36   #3 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplumba
Hi Scruffeebird it would be nice if you introduced yourself. Maybe you should have left out the word Turkish. There are other nationalities that will also rip you off if they get the chance.
Does EVERYTHING here have to be sugarcoated? There many be other nationalities that will rip you off but I have not met them yet. I have been ripped off plenty though and only by Turks. I know there are good Turkish people but I must be a magnet because I could write a book about how my experience in Turkey has been a nightmare, and I know of several others who ahve had terrible experiences. Maybe I just expect honesty and integrity from people, I have found very little living here. Don't try to make a persons post politically correct , they are telling their story the way it happened to them.
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperBogs For This Useful Post:
MouMou (2nd December 2009)
Old 29th April 2008, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
quite right,look at the irish fiasco with dozens of irish losing all their ,oney from a fellow national.
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 22:50   #5 (permalink)

turtle-webs is just really nice turtle-webs is just really nice turtle-webs is just really nice turtle-webs is just really nice turtle-webs is just really nice

I get a bit sick of the 'brits can be trusted, turks only rip you off' thing that goes on over here. I've known a few Brits happy to sell properties that the new owners won't be able to get TAPUs for, that are falling down, have debts against them, they pocket a huge commission on, etc to their fellow country folk.

Also be very cautious I've also met a fair share of Brits happy to 'recommend' their friend in return for a cut of the commission while possing as just another customer in the bar.

For some reason there are plane loads happy to hand over life savings via Dave because he's told them Mehmet would rip you off. Whereas in the UK Dave would be told where to go with his offer to show you houses.

There are plenty of trustable Turks, plenty of trustable Brits but please don't make the mistake that British = trustable, do your homework on whatever agent you chose to use.

Last edited by turtle-webs; 29th April 2008 at 23:09..
turtle-webs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 23:13   #6 (permalink)
lilacdiana

lilacdiana is just really nice lilacdiana is just really nice lilacdiana is just really nice lilacdiana is just really nice lilacdiana is just really nice

Well i know a Brit in Turkey who has definatly ripped people off!! Big time!!!
lilacdiana is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilacdiana For This Useful Post:
MouMou (2nd December 2009)
Old 30th April 2008, 09:26   #7 (permalink)
Free Thinker

teresa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffeebird
: turkish estate agents and builders are its very easy to get caught out, we were and now have some big problems!

Just read it as:

Turkish estate agents and builders = Estate agents and builders located in Turkey.

Eleanor Roosevelt
teresa is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 09:42   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBogs
Does EVERYTHING here have to be sugarcoated? There many be other nationalities that will rip you off but I have not met them yet. I have been ripped off plenty though and only by Turks. I know there are good Turkish people but I must be a magnet because I could write a book about how my experience in Turkey has been a nightmare, and I know of several others who ahve had terrible experiences. Maybe I just expect honesty and integrity from people, I have found very little living here. Don't try to make a persons post politically correct , they are telling their story the way it happened to them.
I am NOT trying to make it PC. I rarely knock people on this forum but it is polite to introduce yourself first before making a post like that. Buying property in Turkey is fraught with difficulty as I well know but from reading the many posts here over nearly 3 years I can see that there are plenty of other sharks out there and I didn't say they were only British. You have to be very careful when undertaking a property purchase anywhere and from my experience much more so in Turkey. Now scruffeebird is probably upfront, friendly and just trying to be helpful. On the other hand could be working for a developer. Rant over. Welcome Scruffeebird I hope you enjoy your time here. No Teresa it definately said Turkish estate agents and builders.
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 10:28   #9 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle-webs
I get a bit sick of the 'brits can be trusted, turks only rip you off' thing that goes on over here. I've known a few Brits happy to sell properties that the new owners won't be able to get TAPUs for, that are falling down, have debts against them, they pocket a huge commission on, etc to their fellow country folk.

Also be very cautious I've also met a fair share of Brits happy to 'recommend' their friend in return for a cut of the commission while possing as just another customer in the bar.

For some reason there are plane loads happy to hand over life savings via Dave because he's told them Mehmet would rip you off. Whereas in the UK Dave would be told where to go with his offer to show you houses.

There are plenty of trustable Turks, plenty of trustable Brits but please don't make the mistake that British = trustable, do your homework on whatever agent you chose to use.
I was not talking about an agent. I understand that any country has untrustworthy people and crooks. My experience in Turkey though is that I have yet to have any dealings with people other then Turks. I am sure it's mostly because of the ratio of Brits (and others) compared to Turks. I have learned to do business here is all but impossible if you want to keep a good name. Every corner you turn your faced with new rules or more importantly how these very confusing rules are written. You can often resolve any issues with a backhand full of cash. Look I could go on and on and on .....I have manyyyyy experiences in my almost 6 years of living in Turkey, enough that I have had enough and am planning to leave. Too bad because the county has so much to offer.
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 12:00   #10 (permalink)
Free Thinker

teresa has disabled reputation

Quote:
No Teresa it definately said Turkish estate agents and builders.
I know what it said, I was just showing that it could be read another way.

I have been here 18 months and not 6 years and already know -"Trust no-one" and keep your money and yourself close and private. That is with ANY nationality here.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by teresa; 30th April 2008 at 12:05..
teresa is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
characters , dodgy