FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Kalkan Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2019, 18:56   #1 (permalink)

Gollygosh is on a distinguished road
Sewage system in Kalkan

Hi, we are just about to buy a property in Kalkan and have discovered the villa has a cesspit and is not on the mains sewage system. Is this a problem? We automatically assumed it would be on the main sewage system as it is a completely refurbished building. Any other helpful hints on the buying process would be greatly appreciated.
Gollygosh is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 9th July 2019, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
The Golden Girls

Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future Kalkan regular has a brilliant future
Re: Sewage system in Kalkan

If you're on Facebook join 'Kalkan Living'and 'Kalkan Rental Owners' groups and you'll get answers to this.
Old 10th July 2019, 02:45   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 8,428 Times in 3,157 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

If the mains sewer is near you can pay to connect. My apartment block did this a few years ago after years of messing about with an inadequate cesspit. At that time, I recall, it was a bill of 1000TL including the plumber's bill and council fees.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2019, 07:07   #4 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 9,021 Times in 4,341 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

A cesspit need not be an issue. we are in a village and have been using our cesspit for 16 years. No problem, so far it has not needed to be empties. We live here all year round. The main thing is not to pour anything that will kill of the 'culture'
Old 10th July 2019, 07:53   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

My mother lived in the Shropshire countryside for 30 years, in a property complete with cesspit. For a bungalow the system was three stage, and the size of a mini bus; I became expert in how to look after it (emptied twice in that time); after emptying, local farmers would drop a dead sheep into their pits to "get things going". Cesspits in Turkey seem to be more like a soak-away with not much treatment going on - more likely to pollute the ground water than treat the effluent.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 10th July 2019 at 07:56..
Old 10th July 2019, 08:38   #6 (permalink)

LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold

Yes Ian you are right. The cess pits in Kalkan are just pits dug into the rock (if you're lucky enough to be built on the rock) and the effluent just soaks on down towards the sea. I lived in Kalkan for 8 or 9 years and was involved in the building of some of them as an observer. I was under the impression that all villas by now would have been connected to the system but there has been a huge amount of building since I left so obviously my impression is wrong!
LauraB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2019, 09:32   #7 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 9,021 Times in 4,341 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

They should have layers of rocks getting finer as you go down. The bacteria on the rocks should clean the effluent. I must say that our veggie garden is doing well this year.
Old 10th July 2019, 10:00   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
They should have layers of rocks getting finer as you go down. The bacteria on the rocks should clean the effluent. I must say that our veggie garden is doing well this year.
That is right in theory, but most of the soak-aways I see in apartment blocks are just the size of a desk - there will be at least six families using it. A single house might get away with it if they are careful what they put into it, but I don't get much sense of awareness. That is why the council pump wagon is in frequent use pumping out overloaded systems.

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
LauraB (10th July 2019)
Old 10th July 2019, 12:38   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 6,131 Times in 2,673 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

And where does the soakaway soak to? On whose land?
Neighbours had one before they got connected to mains and after a fortnight' stay there would be a large damp patch soaking down the building plot for sale behind our house.
Wouldn't like that in my garden.

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2019, 12:58   #10 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 23,230 Times in 10,243 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a communal septic tank here, ours discharges (the almost clear liquid) directly into a local stream, therefore SEPA levy a charge of about £700 across all properties on the scheme.
If the discharge liquid went via a soakaway which is sized for the estimated number of users then there would be no charge.
I spoke to SEPA this morning to clarify a few facts about the tank registration, I found out its not the actual tank that is registered rather the outlet.
There is loads of info on the internet about them, whilst not directly relevant to Turkey it gives an idea of how they should work.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
kalkan , sewage , system