Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th September 2013, 11:31   #1 (permalink)
CJD

CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of
phone scam

not had a good week! wednesday I get a call from Halifax fraud dept. my debit card had been used for 6 fraudulent transactions 5 for O2 credit and a larger one to a chinese company via the internet. this was a new card that has only been used for the past 2 weeks and not on the internet. Then we get home last night and our neighbour drops in two parcels that she has signed for when we opened them one was a brand new galaxy s4 the other an htc one with sim cards from O2....very nice but not ordered by us! did a google search this morning and found this

Mobile phone delivery scam - 9 August 2013

Coventry Trading Standards have been made aware of an incident where a resident has taken delivery of 2 parcels containing mobile phones that had not been ordered.

The resident then had a phone call where the caller stated that the phones had been delivered to the wrong person, and would need to be collected by a courier.

As the packages were correctly named and addressed, the resident decided to call the phone company , whose details were on the parcel to establish what was going on. The phone company advised that this was a scam.

Scammers pick a name and address at random, and use stolen or cloned card details to place an order and arrange a delivery date and time.

After delivery, the home owner will get a phone call claiming the delivery was made in error so arrangements need to be made to collect the parcel.
Mavisteve (7th September 2013)
Old 6th September 2013, 12:40   #2 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD View Post
not had a good week! wednesday I get a call from Halifax fraud dept. my debit card had been used for 6 fraudulent transactions 5 for O2 credit and a larger one to a chinese company via the internet. this was a new card that has only been used for the past 2 weeks and not on the internet. Then we get home last night and our neighbour drops in two parcels that she has signed for when we opened them one was a brand new galaxy s4 the other an htc one with sim cards from O2....very nice but not ordered by us! did a google search this morning and found this

Mobile phone delivery scam - 9 August 2013

Coventry Trading Standards have been made aware of an incident where a resident has taken delivery of 2 parcels containing mobile phones that had not been ordered.

The resident then had a phone call where the caller stated that the phones had been delivered to the wrong person, and would need to be collected by a courier.

As the packages were correctly named and addressed, the resident decided to call the phone company , whose details were on the parcel to establish what was going on. The phone company advised that this was a scam.

Scammers pick a name and address at random, and use stolen or cloned card details to place an order and arrange a delivery date and time.

After delivery, the home owner will get a phone call claiming the delivery was made in error so arrangements need to be made to collect the parcel.
Crafty sods....................no chance of letting the person collect them whilst the police are waiting?

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
CJD

CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of

nobody least of all O2 seems to give a dam meanwhile I'm sat here with
nearly a 1000 woth of phones waiting for a knock on the door from some
burly scammer.......great!
Old 6th September 2013, 13:47   #4 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD View Post
nobody least of all O2 seems to give a dam meanwhile I'm sat here with
nearly a 1000 woth of phones waiting for a knock on the door from some
burly scammer.......great!
I assume your card is sorted & it will not cost you?

I have a buyer for the phones.................need your card details though :-)

Good luck all the same.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
CJD (6th September 2013)
Old 6th September 2013, 15:05   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 14,499 Times in 5,926 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute

If they call you to arrange pickup Carol refer them to your husband who is at work, they should ask for Chief Inspector Collarfeeler and give them the local nicks phone number. Ahgowan, you can do it
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mollag For This Useful Post:
CJD (6th September 2013)
Old 6th September 2013, 18:04   #6 (permalink)

Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough

Deny all knowledge of the phones, take them back to turkey & sell them.
Hey presto a free holiday :-)
If not I have customers waiting in Marmaris!.
Freetime28 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freetime28 For This Useful Post:
CJD (6th September 2013), G&L (25th September 2013), Spurs (7th September 2013)
Old 6th September 2013, 22:25   #7 (permalink)
CJD

lol see you at the end of the month freetime
Old 7th September 2013, 02:15   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,157 Times in 2,401 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Yes the ritual is to make a few small purchases to see if the card is valid and also to make sure that it is being shown on the system as being active before they make the big purchase.

Hopefully you managed to get a refund from the card company, if so, then scammers loss and your gain and I can hardly see the scammers complaining that no one will hand over the goods.

But although we may be joking about things, just remember the original sender has the address of where the goods were delivered and proof of delivery with a signature for the receipt of them should the company put it in the hands of the fraud squad.

But more to the point and a damn sight more important is, the card was only 2 weeks old, then where did they get the details from?
can you recall using the card anywhere either out of the ordinary or ?

Then again, it could have been anywhere, I once had my card compromised by a British Gas employee, who after stealing quite a few card payment details deleted information from the computer to try and cover up the theft.

Then again, your loss as with my loss and a great many more just get 'brushed under the carpet' because the card companies do not want to be seen as being irresponsible in letting these things happen.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 07:52   #9 (permalink)
CJD

with my debit card halifax spotted and sorted the problem before they
called me

with the O2 phone delivery, police are not interested and O2 fraud dept,
as yet have not be arsed to call me back, there is no interest in
catching anyone meanwhile will I get a knock on the door by a burly
scammer seems no one gives a dam so maybe I'll just hand em over
Old 7th September 2013, 10:35   #10 (permalink)

Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough

Nooooooo.

If anyone comes to collect them, tell them to go to the police station as they are there as the police are investigating.
They will be gone never to be seen again.
Freetime28 is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
phone , scam