Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 28th September 2017, 13:02   #1 (permalink)

GaryW is on a distinguished road
Moving to Marmaris

Me and my partner have decided after many years of visiting Marmaris to take the plunge and buy an apartment and give it a year to see if we can settle happily there. We will be renting out our home in the UK so that if things don't work out we can move back again. If we find we love it in Marmaris we would then sell our home and buy a larger property in Marmaris. There are a few things I'm not completely clear about with the visa system in Turkey. One is can we get a long stay visa that would enable us to live there for 12 months without applying for residency? Any information, or advice would be most welcome.
GaryW is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 28th September 2017, 13:09   #2 (permalink)

Chris295 has a spectacular aura about Chris295 has a spectacular aura about Chris295 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Moving to Marmaris

The short answer is "NO".

Rent for a year first then if you don't like it you pack your stuff and go home without having to try to sell. Renting will save you a lot of money in the short term and a lot more in the long term. Good luck.
Chris295 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris295 For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (29th September 2017), spanabridge (28th September 2017)
Old 28th September 2017, 13:23   #3 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 9,713 Times in 4,672 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Gary, I hope that you enjoy the forum. You will get lots of advice, particularly if you ask specific questions. I think you are absolutely correct in renting out your UK property to see if you take to living in Turkey (or indeed Marmaris). Most of us will agree with Chris 295 and suggest that you rent first. Prices will not change much in the near future (in fact the pound may actually rise against the Lira once Brexit mayhem settles).
Old 28th September 2017, 13:55   #4 (permalink)

GaryW is on a distinguished road

Thanks Chris, and Ibrahim for your replies. We have considered renting, but could find very few websites that were showing long term rental properties.
GaryW is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 14:05   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,136 Posts
Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, rent first! I've been renting since 2005 - suits me, as I can leg it any time I want, not that I'm planning to do so. I found my first apartment by asking round, my second on Sahibinden - this is a Turkish website selling absolutely everything, but includes a rentals page. You put in your location and whether you want furnished or unfurnished; if you scroll right down to the bottom right hand corner there's a button for English. My advice? Budget for a month or two in a cheap pansiyon and look when you get there. Trust me, Marmaris is full of rental properties, best to look in January/February.

Re stays of more than 90 days - you need to apply for a Residence Permit. I strongly advise you join the Face Book page - Doc Martins Surgery for Expats in Turkey. Absolutely invaluable and has ALL the information you need.
Yildez Datca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yildez Datca For This Useful Post:
Akasya (28th September 2017)
Old 28th September 2017, 14:26   #6 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,455 Times in 772 Posts
angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future

There are several website Gary that do long term rentals in Marmaris ... Sahabinden being one of them. Look at these = https://www.airbnb.com/s/Marmaris--Turkey?type=apartment&af=8781787&c=A_TC%3D39358978 974%26feeditemid%3D11265059855%26$pi:0.pk:39358978 974_201267334950_c_283035343626&gclid=CjwKCAjwu7LO BRBZEiwAQtfbGE47eyjz585SSOH0ec6CrUg7x75Hxo1fMpB-hPki6lF46DLMZRJorxoC3DoQAvD_BwE and https://www.hometogo.com/search/5460...etype=perNight and https://www.longtermlettings.com/fin...gean/Marmaris/ and Properties For Sale/Rent Marmaris Turkey Good luck and let us know how you get on, won't you? x Angela in Side x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 14:56   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,136 Posts
Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute

Angela, just had a quick look at a couple of the sites you mention - very expensive, summer rentals rather than long term I think, and priced in £s!!! A nice unfurnished, 2 bed, 2 bath modern apartment in Datca - which is much more expensive than Marmaris - will cost from 1000TL a month, depending on location, view etc. Furnished is more, but still nowhere near those prices. You can still find older rentals at about 750TL a month, and I repeat - Marmaris is way cheaper than Datca!

I have always rented unfurnished as the quality of furnished properties is never to my standard if I can afford the rent! If money is no object, then yes, you can find some lovely places. It's not that expensive to set up home here, cheaper than bringing furniture and electricals with you, and Marmaris has several Face Book pages for used goods.
Yildez Datca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 16:33   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,283 Times in 2,497 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris295 View Post
The short answer is "NO".

Rent for a year first then if you don't like it you pack your stuff and go home without having to try to sell. Renting will save you a lot of money in the short term and a lot more in the long term. Good luck.
Sorry but WRONG ANSWER......... unless you care to explain why you said ''NO''

Although, there is no such thing as a 12 month Visa but you can apply for either a 12 month or 24 month RP (Residency Permit)
Also the 120 day restrictions on leaving the country has now also been removed for RP holders.
Once you enter on a normal visa you can stay in Turkey for as long as it takes for the RP to come through 'so no worries on the 90 day limit'
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 18:26   #9 (permalink)

davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough

Hi Gary,

The usual advice on TLF is to rent, not buy. I can understand the argument, but remember:-

(1) the money you hand over to your landlord is dead money.

(2) The flexibility works both ways. Yes, you can up sticks and move whenever and wherever you wish, but equally, your landlord can evict you on a whim, and you would be very optimistic if you thought the legal system would protect you. (We have three friends who are each on their third, rented properties over 5 – 7 year periods. Reasons for evictions were a) owner knocked down the property to build a restaurant, b) c) d) owner needed the property for his cousin/family/mother e) owner suddenly decided after some time he wouldn’t allow pets f) owner wanted property for short term holiday rentals)

Of course, buying is not without its pitfalls, and caveat emptor rules OK. Massive overdevelopment in some areas has meant developers had to slash prices by up to 50% to sell properties on some complexes, meaning early buyers who paid the full price lose heavily if they sell. And, of course, dodgy estate agents, solicitors, and builders do exist.

My advice would be not to buy off plan, and not to buy in an area where overdevelopment has depressed prices, and to buy a property that is finished, and has a legal tapu. That way you know exactly what you are getting, and the sale takes place under the jurisdiction of the tapu office, with the money being transferred simultaneously with the buyer getting the tapu.

The choice between buying and renting is a personal decision.

If you value the chance to move as and when you choose, and accept that a landlord might have a similar view, and you also accept that any hard work on landscaping and improvements you do simply enables your landlord to charge a higher rent to your successor, then renting is for you.

However, if you are fairly certain your move is long term, and you aim to put down roots and retire to the place of your dreams, then buy, but with eyes wide open.

You won’t be surprised to know we bought about 9 years ago, in Selimiye, and have no regrets. Equivalent sterling value has steadily increased, certainly faster than UK interest rates, but, more important, quality of life is far superior.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
David
davem is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davem For This Useful Post:
Akasya (28th September 2017), sgreat (29th September 2017), shash (29th September 2017)
Old 28th September 2017, 19:49   #10 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,455 Times in 772 Posts
angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future

I agree ... renting is such dead money and such an uncertain way to live where you could be given one month's notice at any time ... then have to hunt hi and lo to get something you like equally well.

No harm in looking to buy now is there? Just have a peek at these = https://www.propertyturkey.com/landi...RoCHMIQAvD_BwE and 32 properties here = Property For Sale in Marmaris - Rightmove and Property For Sale In Marmaris and 24 here = Property in Marmaris, villas, apartments, houses, land, real estate properties for sale and Search Results for ?? ? Marmaris property in Turkey Marmaris Turkey real estate Good luck with your decision and let us know how you get on. Having lived in Side, Turkey for 12 years and bought 3 properties over that time - the first one, the villa, I sold - the second one is a 2-bed 2-balcony apartment, I am selling - the third one we live in now. Anyway, what I was going to say is DO NOT ... buy off plan ... or anything brand new ... or anything without checking the Tapu = Deeds. DO buy a re-sale property preferably with all the furniture included and look at their Tapu, electricity and water bills and ensure there is ample insurance coverage for contents, building, and earthquakes. x Angela in Side x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Akasya (28th September 2017), IbrahimAbi (29th September 2017)

Tags
marmaris , moving