FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Motor Sport

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Schumacher and dawn of a new F1 season..

Start of the new era in F1 shadowed by....

..darkness.

Happy New Year All.

I know I'm a month late but glad January is over and now I can start the New Year. This year 2014. But is it the same for everyone?

The end of 2013 for me was shadowed by a huge sadness with the shocking news of F1 Legend 7x World Champion Michael Schumacher's ski crash (I'm sure its been covered here else where, so apologies for not looking before) But it deserves a mention in this Motor Sport Category, particularly with reference to F1.

Schumacher has won 91 races and has an outstanding career in F1. He is also keen sportsman and plays many other sports such as football, motorbiking , horse riding etc.

I recall watching his races in the late 90's and mid 2000 and each time he won..(and it was often I use to wash and polish my red italian car (not a Ferrari to celebrate!)

To think someone with such talent and enthusiam for motorsport is out of acton is extremely sad. Apart from his outstanding performance and passion for sport he was also extremely generous with what he donated to charities often over looked by others such as helping underpriveleged children and gave a large donation to Indian earthquake.

As usual there are lots of speculative unofficial media reports regards Schumacher's condition, often quoting neurosurgeons linked to UK's Headway Brain injury chariries who have a habit of predicting the worse case scenario to secure more funding. Let's hope there is some positive news and progress before the start of the F1 season.

The F1 2014 race season starts next month, with radical changes going from a V8's to a mere 1.6L twin turbo powered V6. My own car has a turbo, so guess thats one comparision, but will miss the beast sound of a V8's in F1. Maybe these new engine sounds will grow on me...time will tell...

Testing has already started in Jerez, Spain last week. Ferrari and Mercedes looks good! Think Kimi is really going to adapt to the way the Turbo handles on these new cars. Don't think Red Bull cars is quite ready yet...

Last edited by newhorizon; 6th March 2014 at 14:36.. Reason: title correction
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
shirleyanntr (4th February 2014)
Old 4th February 2014, 07:57   #2 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 25,475 Times in 10,987 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Start of the new era in F1 shadowed by....

Sadly Michael is fighting the fight of his life , like the true champion he is i hope he succeeds 100%

F1 is becoming a basket case , these cars will be slower than lesser formulas , particularly as a race winner wil be shown to conserve the most petrol by coasting.

Qualifying will be a disaster , engines will grenade if they are overstressed.

The new energy recovery system will cause immense problems with overheating , speed will have to be sacrificed to enhance cooling.

Double points at the end of the season , when everyone will be driving like a novice to preserve engines that are critical ?

Still Mercedes will have 42 HGV's lugging stuff all over the world and Red Bull will have two motorhomes that bolt together to make a once a year swimming pool.

Cost cutting ? only in areas that affect the paying public , nothing will reduce the lavish excess for F1 , the teams and the sponsors.

What a joke , slow down , preserve petrol , tyres , batteries and do not overtake ?

Racing , far from it. Racing down the drain , more like.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 10:36   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Start of the new era in F1 shadowed by....

happy new year to you too ive been wondering where you were

..i cant comment about F1 have never followed it but of course do know who Michael Shumacher is and hope he pulls through
Old 6th March 2014, 14:51   #4 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Schumacher and dawn of a new F1 season..

How time is flying...can't believe we are in 3rd month of 2014 already!!

I am still shocked at how one can end one year eg 2013 fit, active, alert..brain/senses intact..and then Whoosh! in moments it's all over..or it seems like it at the moment ever since Schumacher had his ski accident end of December. Now over 2 months and no official news. Things can't be good or they would have said, but no point in speculating, give these things time and hope for a miraculous recovery!

F1 Season starts next week, Practice, etc from Fri 14 March but somehow as well as the unexciting 2014 car changes the thought that Schumacher such a big part of modern F1 is not awake, doesn't excite me as much as it would normally.

Lets see what happens next week...
Barton (7th March 2014), bigalant (7th March 2014), lewknor (7th March 2014), Sunny Seasider (6th March 2014)
Old 6th March 2014, 22:38   #5 (permalink)

Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light

Have to agree Steve,F1 is boring now,it used to be my favourite sport.To me it's a parade at 200mph.There's not a driver today that could have lived with Senna,Prost and Mansell.To much money involved with it now.I was sorry to hear about Schumacher,but could never take to him,had to cheat at times to win,especially with our Mr Hill.
Sleekit is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 23:45   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,145 Posts
bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he lives and enjoys life with his loved ones .
F1 is a business .
Like gladiators used to be .

The gladiators were and are pawns .
We are spectators .

Money drives it.
bigalant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigalant For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014, 00:43   #7 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,125 Times in 10,000 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you NH I cannot get excited for the start of this year F1. Such a sad time for Schumacher and his loved ones.
Old 7th March 2014, 06:38   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,145 Posts
bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute

My mates and I meet once a year to go skiing .
This year we all got ski helmets .

A definite reaction to the terrible ski accident of Schumacher .

Like him of not he is the Muhammad Ali of car racing .
bigalant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigalant For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014, 07:35   #9 (permalink)

Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light Sleekit is a glorious beacon of light

Bigalent,money drives everything now not just F1(just look at football).The problem with F1 is the H&S idiot's have got involved and slowed the cars down,every year manufacturing made the cars faster but with safety in mind.Not so sure I agree with your analogy of Gladiators of today,except for Hamilton who I believe will win the championship this year with Vettle then Alonso.
Sleekit is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleekit For This Useful Post:
bigalant (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014, 08:11   #10 (permalink)

Barton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleekit View Post
Have to agree Steve,F1 is boring now,it used to be my favourite sport.To me it's a parade at 200mph.There's not a driver today that could have lived with Senna,Prost and Mansell.To much money involved with it now.I was sorry to hear about Schumacher,but could never take to him,had to cheat at times to win,especially with our Mr Hill.
.............except Lewis Hamilton maybe? I do believe he is a true racer, unlike most of them these days!
Barton is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barton For This Useful Post:
Sleekit (7th March 2014)

Tags
dawn , era , schumacher , season , shadowed , start