FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2010, 09:13   #1 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Sakineh the Iranian woman sentenced to execution, her lawyers and UPDATES

.... after escaping across border.

Turkish police have arrested an Iranian lawyer who represented Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, the woman sentenced to death by stoning for adultery.

Human rights activists expressed concern for Mostafaei's safety and the possibility that Turkey, an ally of Iran, might return him. "He was treated very poorly by the Turkish police and was threatened that they might send him back to Iran," said Shadi Sadr, an Iranian human rights activist who spoke with Mostafaei by phone today. Mostafaei was concerned about his seven-year-old daughter who is with his wife's family in Iran.

The Guardian understands Norwegian and US officials met Mostafaei in prison and offered him asylum, but he was forced by Turkish officials to claim asylum with the UNHCR in Turkey or face extradition.

Wonder what will be his plight...??
Iran stoning case lawyer arrested in Turkey after escaping across border The Guardian

Last edited by newhorizon; 23rd November 2010 at 10:25.. Reason: change original title ' Iran stoning case lawyer arrested in Turkey'
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th August 2010, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iran stoning case lawyer arrested in Turkey

i wouldnt fancy his chances in Turkey in tbe current climate
Old 5th August 2010, 12:45   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,449 Times in 782 Posts
akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future akbukowl has a brilliant future

What a disgrace, makes you wonder what the future holds for Turkey and there attitude towards westerners
akbukowl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 14:00   #4 (permalink)

hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold

Well, at least the action to help Sakineh is growing quickly all over the world

Save Sakineh's life

Hopefully the Turkish authorities will not dare to send him back or misstreat him and he will be able to accept the asylum offered by Norway or US when he first gets a refugee status in Turkey. The whole thing is ridiculous.

I hope that many the Forum's members will support Sakineh's action. It's nice to see that many Turkish citizens are signing the petition and donating money for the adverts.
shirleyanntr (5th August 2010), Summertime (5th August 2010)
Old 5th August 2010, 16:18   #5 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

I've donated a small amount using that link (above) via Paypal, even got a phone call from my credit card company just checking I made the transaction, so pleased they're on the ball! really, really hope it's not too late and we can stop this.

Following on from the Lawyer story, they're now captured this lawyers wife to further put pressure on this lawyer...

full interview with him here as in Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 18:48   #6 (permalink)

hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold

Turkey is now at least saying that the lawyer will get a refugee status - so let us hope that his client will also be helped!

Iranian lawyer seeks refuge in Turkey - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
Old 5th August 2010, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

If only he could have gone to Norway (who accepted him as a citizen) he has his passport and visa for Schengen countries.

This is one brave man fighting for so many cases in Iran and to think what they are doing to his own family by taking his wife as hostage is worrying as I read from his full interview earlier

Lawyer Who Fled Iran Insists: 'I Had The Right To Defend Sakineh Mohammadi' - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2010

Btw slightly off-topic interesting regional variation of the way the Hurriyet has spelt these names:-
Mohammad Mostafai >Muhammed Mustafa
Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani > Sakine Muhammed Ashtiyani

Back to topic,

There is also a petition to help free Sakineh
Free Sakineh
Old 5th August 2010, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 28,532 Times in 12,839 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

The west and it's denizens are slowly waking up to the fact that some Middle Eastern Sovereign States are very little removed from barbarism.

Poor pitiable woman, as are all women who reside in these iniquitous countries.

Does Mr Erdogan have the courage of his convictions ?

I think he will stall for time, play a straight bat and use the constitution and the Law to protect this courageous Advocate.

A shame no one can help this brutalised Lady.

Allahu Akbar, may his mercy prevail.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
shirleyanntr (6th August 2010)
Old 5th August 2010, 21:02   #9 (permalink)
Golden Girls

Thanked 2,037 Times in 832 Posts
Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute Summertime has a reputation beyond repute

He is very much welcom to Norway, I think the Goverment has invited him to come and stay in Norway.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:01   #10 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Yes, Norway did accept him and he said he had even started working on needed documents. But then yesterday said: "I was forced to apply for asylum at the UN."

Just don't know what human rights future will be in Iran now that this lawyer who has campaigned and fought for human rights for many cases in Iran for women and minors being stoned, hanged etc will be now...he has sacrificed so much personally....

Here is a letter he wrote to his wife and daugher (aged 7) just before he left which brought a tear to my eye having celebrated the birthday of own child this month who's of a similar age:-

"Dear Fereshteh and my darling Parmida,

Happy Birthday to both of you.

Seven years ago today (August 1st), my dear Parmida was born to a sweet mother who is now imprisoned while committing no crime. Parmida is very lonely today, because her mom and dad are not there to wish her a happy birthday. We had planned a birthday party for her and all her friends were invited. We wanted to tell her how much we love her. But what happened instead? Her mother was unjustly and illegally arrested and taken hostage. And worse yet, her uncle and grandfather were arrested as well. My Parmida is so lonely today. What has she done to deserve the sorrow of missing both her parents? She has not seen her mother now for one week; a mother who has focused her time and energy on the care of her child. Today Parmida cannot hear her mother call out her name or her father wish her a happy birthday.
<snip>

Full copy here Mohammad Mostafaei in Turkey + A Letter to His Wife and Daughter on their Birthdays | Persian2English
and letter to daughter:

"My darling Parmida,

Every time I look at the beautiful drawing that you made for me, I cry. I cannot wait to see you. I want to see you soon and take you to the playground in the park. Happy birthday and I wish you all the best. I promise that you will have every opportunity in this world and the brightest future. I send you and your dear mom kisses. May God be with you both. Your mom’s birthday is in three days (August 4th). I wish her a happy birthday as well. Your mother has tolerated my absence for the last ten years so that I could help the innocent, the needy, and all those unjustly sentenced to death by execution, hanging, or stoning. I ask you to tolerate our absence today.

My dearest Fereshteh and Parmida, I wish you a happy birthday and I kiss you both.
"

Where is the justice in arresting an innocent mother and separating it from their child?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
Dellol (12th August 2010), Kirpi (6th August 2010), Summertime (6th August 2010)

Tags
arrested , ashtiani , case , iran , lawyer , sakineh , stoning , turkey