FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2010, 22:34   #1 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Iran's Sakineh 'may' have been FREED....

As ever with this case is she, isn't she has been the case...with so many rumours of her execution, lies, lashings... even these photos seem to show a temporary release, and may have been used to collect further evidence but there is no official statement on her release, so we cannot believe it just yet. As ever the news seems premature and not accurate and more towards favouring certain human rights/ Committees against stoning.

Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani 'at home' pictures trigger confusion over her fate
Woman sentenced to death by stoning in Iran is pictured at home with her son – but she may have been filming a confession
Confusion surrounded the fate of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, the woman whose sentence of death by stoning for adultery triggered an international outcry, after photographs of her meeting her son at home were released by Iran's English channel television tonight.

Pictures from state-run Press TV showed her meeting Sajad at home in Osku in northwestern Iran, boosting supporters' hopes that she had been released.

But footage of Ashtiani broadcast by the station later raised questions about whether she had actually been released from prison, or whether Iranian authorities had merely taken her to her home to collect evidence against her and film a confession.

In a short clip she is seen to say: "We planned to kill my husband."

The move came weeks after Iran signalled it might spare the life of Mohammadi Ashtiani, 43, a mother of two who has been in Tabriz prison since 2006, and who faced execution by stoning for "having an illicit relationship outside marriage".

An international campaign for Ashtiani's release has been launched by her son Sajad, who was later arrested along with her lawyer Houtan Kian and two German journalists who were arrested after trying to interview her have also been freed.

The extraordinary case brought an unwelcome focus on human rights in Iran at a time when the Islamic regime was seeking to return to normal after the unrest that followed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's victory in a disputed presidential election in June 2009.

Ecstatic campaigners initially hailed the news. "This is the happiest day in my life," said Mina Ahadi of the International Committee against Stoning (Icas). "I'm very happy for her son, Sajad, who fought single-handedly and bravely in Iran to defend his mother and tell the world that she is innocent. I'm sure that this day will be written in Iranian history books, if not the world's, as a day of victory for human rights campaigners."

International pressure over Mohammadi Ashtiani's fate began with campaigning on social networking sites and was later taken up by mainstream media as protest rallies were held in London, Rome and Washington, with support from Amnesty and other human rights groups, as well as a star-studded cast of celebrities including Colin Firth and Emma Thompson in Britain.

Iran's friends and enemies tried to intervene. Brazil's president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, offered to give Mohammadi Ashtiani asylum in his country, while the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, urged Tehran to respect the fundamental freedoms of its citizens. Britain's foreign office minister Alistair Burt condemned the laws used against her as "medieval."

Tehran hit back furiously. Kayhan, a conservative paper, called Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, the French president's wife, a "prostitute" who "deserved death" after she condemned the sentence.

Iran accused its critics of trying to turn a criminal case into something of wider significance. "It has become a symbol of women's freedom in western nations and with impudence they want to free her," the foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast protested last month. "They are trying to use this ordinary case as a lever of pressure against our nation."

Evidently feeling the heat, Iran described her as "an adulterous woman" and introduced new charges, portraying her as a murderer who killed her husband. Mohammadi Ashtiani was put on state TV three times to confess to her charges but human rights activists insisted she had been tortured.

But signs of a possible change of heart came after Mohammad Javad Larijani, a top adviser to the Iranian supreme leader, Ali Khamenei, visited the UN last month and invited the secretary-general, Ban Ki-moon, to visit Iran. Still, he compared Ashtiani's case with that of Teresa Lewis, who was executed by lethal injection in the US state of Virginia for arranging the murder of her husband and stepson.

Under Iranian sharia law, those sentenced to death by stoning are buried up to the neck (or to the waist in the case of men), and those attending the public execution are called upon to throw stones. If the convicted person manages to free themselves from the hole, the death sentence is commuted.

Mohammadi Ashtiani was convicted in May 2006 of conducting an illicit relationship outside marriage. She endured a sentence of 99 lashes, but her case was re-opened when a court in Tabriz suspected her of murdering her husband. She was acquitted, but the adultery charge was reviewed and a death penalty handed down on the basis of "judge's knowledge" – a loophole that allows for subjective judicial rulings where no conclusive evidence is present.

Five years ago when Mohammadi Ashtiani was flogged, Sajad, then 17, was present. "They lashed her in front my eyes and this has been carved in my mind since then," he told the Guardian before his own arrest.

Iran has rarely carried out stonings in recent years. But it executed 388 people last year – more than any other country apart from China, according to Amnesty International. Most were hanged.

Ten Iranian women and four men are on death row awaiting execution by stoning, among them Azar Bagheri, 19, Iran Iskandari, 31, Kheyrieh Valania, 42, Sarimeh Sajadi, 30, Kobra Babaei, and Afsaneh R.
More here in The Guardian
Timeline of Events:-
here
AFP: Sakineh photos emerge in Iran without release confirmation
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
John O' Dreams (10th December 2010)
Old 10th December 2010, 00:14   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,209 Times in 370 Posts
gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of gizmo has much to be proud of
Re: Iran's Sakineh 'may' have been FREED....

I read these posts and all I feel is sadness as a wife and a mother,daughter, neice,sister and hopefully grandmother in the future. I do not for one second say that I understand the trials, tribulations, rules etc in one's country. My own country has enough problems at the moment!.

All I can offer is that we try to help, love and respect each other and each other' country = strive to improve, undersand, change when necessary to improve ourselves and our own countries.

We can start by helping our own neighbour and go back to the old ways - I dont mean archaic - I mean with respect, regard and appreciation of yours and your neighbour. I know in some cases this is difficult - but we can do what we can do and no more.

I love life so much and it makes me so sad to see people taking theirs for granted, be taken for granted and taking lives for granted!

Visit people and hospitals - see young and old - the most vulnerable in society. Governments not doin great at mo but we as people will try together. We can pull it together -I'm off in a rant again but my prayers are always with the righteous and good

love
gizmo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 07:10   #3 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

So true, Gizmo.

As I cautiously mentioned yesterday this news was premature and not confirmed. I apologise for posting it too early I got excited that maybe it may be true but as I hinted its another Western media circus to get certain organisation names in print. It seems Iran is collecting further evidence and making new statements, to get her sentence of execution appear satisfactory in relation to the country's punishments for such a crime.

I just wish to point out that the reason I first started posting news or views on this topic back in July was because her lawyer had escaped into Turkey. The lawyer was not granted asylum and feared Turkey would send him back to Iran. Fortunately, the lawyer was offered asylum by Norway.
Each year there are many that cross the borders from Iran into Turkey or Greece. Unfortunately for many their lives are not much better, with some being attacked in Greece.

We are indeed fortunate to be able to have the luxury of having 'opinions'

Quote:
I love life so much and it makes me so sad to see people taking theirs for granted, be taken for granted and taking lives for granted!

Visit people and hospitals - see young and old - the most vulnerable in society. Governments not doin great at mo but we as people will try together. We can pull it together -I'm off in a rant again but my prayers are always with the righteous and good
I don't take every day for granted, each day I walk down the road looking at trees and the same faces throughout the various seasons Summer, Winter etc I think how lucky am I.
Its nice to be able to visit the vulnerable, elderly, ill and even people who are fit and well today, you don't know what happens tomorrow. Life is short, life can be sweet, it can be hard so

Why wait till tomorrow what you can do today.
and here endeth my speech Have a good day folks
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
gizmo (10th December 2010)
Old 11th December 2010, 10:37   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,980 Times in 921 Posts
culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute culturevulture has a reputation beyond repute

The Iranian government has denied she has been freed.
They have said, they took her back to the house to go over the scene of the murder.
So all is not well yet.

Mary.
culturevulture is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 11:19   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 6,582 Times in 2,783 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute

The lastest news is not good for this poor woman, it seems to me that one way or another they will kill her.

BBC News - Iran state TV broadcasts new stoning woman 'confession'
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 11:31   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,607 Posts
parrot has disabled reputation

The latest.

Woman, sentenced to death by stoning for adultery, could be hanged after international outcry | Mail Online
parrot is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 11:39   #7 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

this poor woman..what a crap country
ive read that she cant speak Farsi..she speaks Turkish..and i dont think there has been any requests from Turkey for clemency
Old 28th December 2011, 11:41   #8 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Yes, this has been in the news the last 2-3 days and it seems the plight of this woman is ever more prolonged..only France seems to have asked for her execution (which ever method) to be stopped.

La France exhorte l'Iran à renoncer à exécuter Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani - LeMonde.fr (not in english

Latest seems to be iranian officials stating they have been misquoted then all the media re-printing the same story in bits and drabs with new headlines, but nothing seems to have actually changed or happened.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:46   #9 (permalink)
Available in sarcastic to

Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,090 Posts
tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute

Iran official says he was misquoted on adultress hanging.
AFP - An Iranian official who raised the possibility of hanging a woman convicted of adultery rather than stoning her to death says he was misquoted, according to media Wednesday.
Malek Ajdar Sharifi, the justice chief for East Azarbaijan province, at the weekend brought attention back to the case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, whose 2006 stoning sentence for adultery brought international condemnation.
Fars news agency on Sunday published an interview with Sharifi in which he said he told justice authorities "we did not have facilities for stoning her."

Iran official says was misquoted on adultress hanging - FRANCE 24

Pete

Tags
freed , iran , sakineh