FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2011, 13:34   #1 (permalink)

hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold
Domestic Violence Law in Turkey

I try to understand what's going on, a good intention at the beginning spoilt by a new discrimination?

RIGHTS - Anti-violence law to exclude single women

Why can't they get it right? And how can the following help?

RIGHTS - Fight fire with fire, NGO tells women

Just wondering...
Summertime (29th December 2011)
Old 29th December 2011, 13:48   #2 (permalink)

Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice
Re: Domestic Violence Law in Turkey

OMG, so hard to believe this is happening in this day and age, must admit I like the idea of shooting them, though if it was me I don't think in that situation I would shoot to injure, I'd shoot to kill, so over all I don't think arming the women is a good idea, maybe instead they should cut off the attackers arms so they can't hit again and they would have a constant reminder of what they have done.

Can't believe single women don't count, ridiculous!!
Donna M is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
Available in sarcastic to

Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,090 Posts
tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute

Anti-violence law to exclude single women, so in other words if a woman is'nt "owned" then she's not worth protecting.
Come along Turkey, forget your pre-historic values and treat everyone as equal!!!

Pete
Hilsjw (8th January 2012), teosgirl (8th January 2012), ZiaCa' (31st December 2011)
Old 29th December 2011, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

This comes as no surprise ..and is the way that the AK Party are taking Turkey.

Lately when the press make reports about domestic violence they always accentuate the fact of whether the woman is married or not as though this condones the violence ...womens groups have been protesting about this but its still going on
Old 29th December 2011, 14:10   #5 (permalink)
Available in sarcastic to

Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,090 Posts
tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute

Very ironic that this comes just weeks after Turkish Parliament’s adoption of a European convention on combating violence against women, cabinet ministers, media figures and UN officials team up for an anti-domestic violence campaign.

Hürriyet Daily News | Archive news detail

Turkey: Women Left Unprotected From Violence | Human Rights Watch

Pete
Old 29th December 2011, 14:57   #6 (permalink)
G0B5H1T3

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,034 Posts
skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute skydog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna M View Post
OMG, so hard to believe this is happening in this day and age, must admit I like the idea of shooting them, though if it was me I don't think in that situation I would shoot to injure, I'd shoot to kill
Never, ever, point a gun at someone unless you intend to KILL them. Then keep pulling the trigger until it goes ... CLICK.
Old 29th December 2011, 21:19   #7 (permalink)

Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice Donna M is just really nice

The more I read these links, the worse it gets, I think if I lived there I'd have to get involved and try and help, so so sad.

I just can't understand why they stay with these men, especially in the UK where we have lots of options. I'd rather live in a field with my kids and eat cow sh**, than put up with that, unbelievable, below is a quote from one of the links.

In southeast Turkey (exact location withheld), Selvi T., a 22-year-old pregnant with her fifth child, represents everything that can go wrong when domestic violence is not taken seriously. She was married at age 12, and her husband started his attacks when she was pregnant with their first child.

"That first time, he hit me,he kicked the baby in my belly, and he threw me off the roof," she told Human Rights Watch. Since then, the violence has increased in frequency and severity, and now even includes their children. Selvi's husband controls every aspect of her life and is extremely jealous. She told us: "He rapes me all the time, Selvi managed to escape four times to go to the police for help, but was sent back to abuse every time. She made it to a shelter once, but the police told her husband where the shelter was and he forced her to leave.Selvi receives assistance from a local women's group, but has given up on escaping the violence.

"I just cannot go to the police anymore," she said.

Skydog, after reading tykatem's links, it would have to be a case of keep going until it clicks!! you couldn't take the risk of letting the bast*** get back up.

My daughter is 14 and to think of some man treating her like that at any time in her life, I actually would kill him, without any regret what so ever!!

I can't believe the statistics of how common it is. I do know a girl who married a Turkish guy who beat her and she did say it was quite common in Turkey, (she's not with him now) but I didn't realise it was that common, the statistics are frightening!!
Donna M is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donna M For This Useful Post:
Akasya (30th December 2011), tykatem (31st December 2011)
Old 29th December 2011, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

hı Donna domestıc vıolence ıs a way of lıfe ın Turkey ..
this link shows the stats for reported cases..so there will be almost as many unreported
add the number of women murdered by their families in the name of honour and it is shameful that the government does so little to improve the status of women

English :: 1 Case of Domestic Violence every 10 Minutes - Bianet

English :: 26 Women Killed by Men in July - Bianet

English :: Media Killed Slain Woman a Second Time - Bianet
Akasya (30th December 2011), teosgirl (8th January 2012)
Old 31st December 2011, 11:52   #9 (permalink)

hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold hachris is a splendid one to behold

Carte blanche to kill daugters!

LOCAL - Two brothers kill runaway sister in front of police

Hacer Akçalı had fled her home before, but was eventually located in the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa; police returned her to her parents on Sept. 17.

For god's sake she was 21!
Old 31st December 2011, 12:05   #10 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,311 Times in 16,035 Posts
Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute Yalides has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago one of our neighbours was leaving the site in his car with his wife and daughter in the back seats. For some unknown reason an argument started with our site man and before you know they are squaring up outside our balcony with spade and pickaxe handle. The neighbours wife says something to him, he reaches in the car, in full view of his daughter, and punches her, the wife, full in the face. When he realises everyone is watching in shocked silence the fracas ends, he drives off in a rage, the Jandarma arrives soon after and the guy is gone from the site soon after.

Tags
domestic , law , turkey , violence