FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2014, 01:10   #261 (permalink)

lippy has disabled reputation
Re: Scotland will have to quit the sterling if it votes for independence next year

Be independent and a member of Europe,a bit of a contradiction to start with,and with the help of The Bank of England,cake and eat it comes to mind.
lippy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lippy For This Useful Post:
PASH (31st January 2014)
Old 31st January 2014, 01:22   #262 (permalink)

Thanked 8,172 Times in 3,105 Posts
giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scotland will have to quit the sterling if it votes for independence next year

So Germany, France, Italy, Denmark and Finland are not independent?

Weird definition, then.

As for the currency union - if that is the best option for Scotland at the present time, so be it.

Things may then change, over time, if a better option arrives.

Pragmatism is a good thing.
Old 1st February 2014, 06:44   #263 (permalink)

lippy has disabled reputation

Looks like Wee Ecks cunning plan to give the vote to 16 year olds could come back and bite him on the bum.
Pupils at yet another School back Better Together | Better Together
lippy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lippy For This Useful Post:
bigalant (1st February 2014)
Old 1st February 2014, 07:06   #264 (permalink)

Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,152 Posts
bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute

“I think Nationalism is a thing of the past. When we live in such an interconnected world and can speak face to face with our friends across the world at the touch of a button, why would we want to shut ourselves off from our neighbours just down the road? It is funny when you think about it, but the referendum is the only part of my life where I am being asked to think smaller.

(This is what Molly said .
Interesting perspective from a bright teenager )
bigalant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 08:05   #265 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 28,493 Times in 12,817 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

" Scotland has the resources to be the 8th richest nation in the developed world ".

This nonsensical statement is redolent of smugness and the self satisfaction that plagues the referendum argument.

Such a statement cannot be substantiated in any way , shape or form.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 11:08   #266 (permalink)

giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute

The figures on Scotland's wealth are certainly open to further debate and interpretation, but in my opinion, the ones produced by the Scottish Government are logical and based on the best evidence available.

Feel free to Post contradictory figures, as you see fit.

I have also included some background into the various ways the overall Scottish Debt stats have been skewed by the UK Government, over the last 32 years.

In relation to individual school/college/Uni debates, there are also those which produce a majority vote for the Yes side (Linked below).

Whilst these are interesting in themselves, no matter which way they go, the direction in General Polling presently indicates that the Pro-Independence case is on the ascendancy.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00416075.pdf

Revealed: The ACCOUNTING TRICK that Hides Scotland?s Wealth. : Business for Scotland

School #indyref debate produces spectacular swing to Yes | Yes Scotland

Yes wins Strathclyde independence debate | Yes Scotland
Old 1st February 2014, 11:33   #267 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Independence, such a great feeling. I remember leaving my parents home & having my independence it was great, of course I took my dirty washing back a couple of times a week & made sure I was there for Sunday dinner. Oh & if I need a bit of "financial support" I knew where to head. I feel these Scottish Ministers are playing the same game that I did but are in denial.
Interesting clip I watched the other day, it related to Scottish athletes. Would they come under team GB or a Scottish team? The coaches said "they would lose out on investment, the athletes would suffer & they would also lose the English coaches who come under the umbrella of team GB". The Ministers who were for said "that's rubbish, we will invest in our athletes". The majority of athletes responses " we want to stick with team GB, better training, better finance, more opportunity & a bigger chance of getting too the Olympics".

Just made me think about the floods in Somerset & the dredging issue...........the Ministers giving it "we know what we are doing" but everyone else who actually lives there saying completely the opposite.

I bothers me not which way they vote because its THEIR CHOICE but if they are going to vote for it & become independent. Do not come for dinner, washing, ironing or money.
Its an "all or nothing" for me, the Ministers seem to be taking a lot for granted both relating to England & the EU. My worry is that "old wounds" are starting to open between the English & Scots. I hope people vote with their heads & not their hearts.
We have our own Alex Salmond in England called Mandelson, full of his own self importance & beliefs.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 12:29   #268 (permalink)

I reckon Wee Eck is probably the best politician in the UK today.

Put him on any debating platform with Cameron, Milliband and Clegg and he would wipe the floor with them.

The only one who could give him a run, would be Farage.

I have said it many times before, ALL politicians lie/distort for a living - I just would prefer having them lying from Edinburgh, having been voted in by the Scottish people, than lying from London, having been voted in predominantly by the SE of England.
Old 1st February 2014, 12:31   #269 (permalink)

Thanked 20,698 Times in 10,475 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Youre having a laff re Farage!!!!

Comes across as a loon

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Spurs (1st February 2014)
Old 1st February 2014, 12:36   #270 (permalink)

Not at all.

He is a very competent debater.

Tags
independence , pretty , quit , reasons , scotland , scottish , sterling , unpersuasive , votes , year