FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2014, 13:12   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 8,005 Times in 1,980 Posts
Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute
Post Export a Grandma abroad - Watch out old people!

Exporting Grandma to care homes abroad

Sending elderly relatives to a care home can be a tough and emotional decision. But is booking a one-way flight to a destination 8,000 miles away a step too far?

Sybille Wiedmer lives in Zurich and is packing her suitcase for a trip to Thailand.

But this is no ordinary holiday.

She is off to visit her mother who lives in a care home in the Thai city of Chiang Mai.

"A lot of people were shocked in the beginning and said, 'How can you do this? How dare you do this? You can't visit her,'" says Wiedmer.

"And I said if I visited her here, half an hour later she didn't know any more. She had forgotten."

Sybille's mother Elisabeth is 91 and has dementia.

She has been living in a care home in Thailand with a dozen other Swiss and German residents for the past four years but struggles to remember anything from the present.

Continue reading the main story
Lost in space?

Husband with Alzheimer's
The word 'dementia' covers a wide range of illnesses - the most common being Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.
It's often assumed that people with dementia don't know where they are - but dementia affects every person differently.
Although dementia progresses differently from person to person, it is often factual memories rather than emotional ones which are lost first.
This means that although people might not remember the precise facts of where they are or who has come to visit, they are more likely to remember the emotional feelings that come with those visits or locations.
There is evidence that for some people with dementia, visiting familiar places and talking about the past can be very beneficial.
Source: Alzheimer's Society

"I'm not long here up to now. But it is very nice and they are very kind. How long do I stay here?" she asks.

Elisabeth is told she's been a resident for four years.

"I'm here how long already? Four and a half years? Oh! I grow old."

BBC News - Exporting Grandma to care homes abroad
Bill & June (6th January 2014), ihutch (6th January 2014), pepperkat (7th January 2014), tintagel (6th January 2014)
Old 6th January 2014, 17:26   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 11,462 Times in 4,650 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Export a Grandma abroad - Watch out old people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushtaq View Post
Exporting Grandma to care homes abroad

Sending elderly relatives to a care home can be a tough and emotional decision. But is booking a one-way flight to a destination 8,000 miles away a step too far?

Sybille Wiedmer lives in Zurich and is packing her suitcase for a trip to Thailand.

But this is no ordinary holiday.

She is off to visit her mother who lives in a care home in the Thai city of Chiang Mai.

"A lot of people were shocked in the beginning and said, 'How can you do this? How dare you do this? You can't visit her,'" says Wiedmer.

"And I said if I visited her here, half an hour later she didn't know any more. She had forgotten."

Sybille's mother Elisabeth is 91 and has dementia.

She has been living in a care home in Thailand with a dozen other Swiss and German residents for the past four years but struggles to remember anything from the present.

Continue reading the main story
Lost in space?

Husband with Alzheimer's
The word 'dementia' covers a wide range of illnesses - the most common being Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.
It's often assumed that people with dementia don't know where they are - but dementia affects every person differently.
Although dementia progresses differently from person to person, it is often factual memories rather than emotional ones which are lost first.
This means that although people might not remember the precise facts of where they are or who has come to visit, they are more likely to remember the emotional feelings that come with those visits or locations.
There is evidence that for some people with dementia, visiting familiar places and talking about the past can be very beneficial.
Source: Alzheimer's Society

"I'm not long here up to now. But it is very nice and they are very kind. How long do I stay here?" she asks.

Elisabeth is told she's been a resident for four years.

"I'm here how long already? Four and a half years? Oh! I grow old."

BBC News - Exporting Grandma to care homes abroad
Absolutely awful way to treat a parent

My mum 88 (dementia, osteoarthritis, multi-resistant UTI's + various) was admitted to a Nursing home by her GP nearly 9 months ago rather than admit her into hospital again.

My sister & I take turns & visit everyday, other family members (working) visit regularly but not as often. We thought she would be there just a short while, similar to having 'respite', but sadly she's hasn't been well enough to go home again

How, that woman can just Dump her mum in a home & forget about her for months at a time is inconceivable! All of these 'homes' are run for profit, some staff are brilliant, some ok & some aren't, most homes are invariably understaffed & residents do Not get the quality of care they should.

Mum rarely 'knows' I'm her daughter but she recognises the warmth & familiarity in my smile & eyes, enjoys the company, having her hair brushed or nails painted & of course the cakes, chocolate, fruit & sweets we take in, she's always had a sweet tooth Daily visits & patient reassurance relax her, she gets very tearful & anxious, we often find her wandering & crying, lord knows how she'd be if we weren't there to help care for her!

We ensure that she see's the dentist, chiropodist etc regularly, that her clothes are washed & returned to her room & many other little things you wouldn't ever think you'd have to check.

We feel so sorry for other residents (not all) but many have no visitors We regularly ensure mums inmates are toileted in a timely manner!, helped to eat/drink their 'timed snacks' & share whatever goodies we take in for mum with them.

That woman! should hang her head in Shame

Last edited by tintagel; 6th January 2014 at 17:28..
tintagel is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tintagel For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (6th January 2014), millilove76 (6th January 2014), Mushtaq (6th January 2014), pepperkat (7th January 2014), Peter J (6th January 2014), sue & james (6th January 2014), tazz (6th January 2014)
Old 6th January 2014, 17:30   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,029 Posts
Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone watch the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?

Carolyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carolyn For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th January 2014), Jaycey (6th January 2014)
Old 6th January 2014, 17:55   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 26,125 Times in 13,807 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

If I should ever find myself in such a situation without family at hand I would welcome such relocation.
Old 6th January 2014, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

so grannys behave!--or you,ll be a chınese take-away!---actually the elderly mıght get better cared for than they do ın some homes ın the uk.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (6th January 2014), Ceni (7th January 2014), ihutch (6th January 2014), Jaycey (6th January 2014), pasty (7th January 2014), pepperkat (7th January 2014), Peter J (6th January 2014), Yalides (7th January 2014)
Old 6th January 2014, 19:04   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 8,172 Times in 3,105 Posts
giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute

Just send them all to prison - they will be treated far better there.
pepperkat (7th January 2014)
Old 6th January 2014, 19:25   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by giglets View Post
Just send them all to prison - they will be treated far better there.
Thats so true!Mınd you the home my mother was ın was really good--my sıster went to vısıt one day and the haırdresser was doıng mums haır and an assıstant doıng her naıls---mother was fast asleep all the way through!They got her wıth theır care to the age of 92--- a good ınnıngs ın anyones book.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (7th January 2014), giglets (6th January 2014), pasty (7th January 2014), pepperkat (7th January 2014)
Old 7th January 2014, 14:12   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 11,462 Times in 4,650 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

There is a new Bill (compassionate care) making it's way through the legal process, next relevant date 9th Jan 2014 (Thursday) Committee stage - House of Commons. It aims to further regulate 'Care' at Home, in 'Hospitals & Care/Nursing Homes, fingers crossed as thousands are affected by the lack of proper regs in social care:

Care Bill puts wellbeing and compassion at the heart of health and social care | Compassionate Care

If only... life for the vulnerable elderly were anything like a 'Glossy romanticised Film' was even a % of the real situation..... This following link is just one of many found with a quick google:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ign-care-homes

Last edited by tintagel; 7th January 2014 at 14:34.. Reason: Added link
tintagel is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 14:14   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,471 Posts
arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Anyone watch the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?
I would willingly go to somewhere like this!
The Following User Says Thank You to arrian For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (7th January 2014)
Old 7th January 2014, 19:04   #10 (permalink)
From"Gods Own Country"

Thanked 10,622 Times in 3,459 Posts
pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute pepperkat has a reputation beyond repute

My mum had Alzeimers, and had to go into a nursing home to protect my dad.
She didn't recognise the old man she was looking at, she was looking for the young chap she married. If dad tried to put her to bed she would attack him violently and say " if my Jack sees you he will sort you out". The last time my dad saw mum just a few days before he died, mum just looked past the pair of us, not a spark of recognition. I don' know if sufferers do recognise close relatives when they visit , but in my experience mum was living 50/ 60 years back in her mind .
However I would not ever have exported her abroad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepperkat For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (8th January 2014), kibris (7th January 2014)

Tags
abroad , export , grandma , people , watch